Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The X-Files: I Want To Believe (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The X-Files: I Want To Believe
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 05:30 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sorry to say I cannot review the entire film as I gave up about an hour into it.

What I did get to see though was a suspenseless pile of tripe.

While not an X-Files devotee, I still know a big smelly [bs] when I see one.

Hey, Scully's a brain surgeon now? Oh, OK. She always was a fast learner. [Roll Eyes]

I want to believe these guys will now just roll over and do other things. The 90's are gone. Get over it.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any other of the "big" summer movies this year that has less buzz about it than this one.

The teaser onesheet looks stupid, too. Who ever pioneered the idea of the teaser onesheet with no title (or much else) on it is an idiot.

Plus the title is a complete yawner. I don't know which is worse - this or "Quantum of Solace."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 06:57 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Want To Believe is such a dumb title. Who on earth actually convinced themselves at Fox that people would say the mouthful "Hey, I'm going to see 'The X-Files: I Want To Believe' tomorrow".

Dumbest title of the year. Even the print ID's themselves don't bother with it and instead go with 'The X-Files 2'. That is what it is, after all.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 07:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the boxes of marketing materials from Fox call it "30350" on the label.

--jhawk

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 07:56 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Hey, Scully's a brain surgeon now? Oh, OK. She always was a fast learner.
I have not seen the movie yet so I can't comment on how good or bad it is but....

If you watched the show you would know that Scully was a medical doctor before joining the FBI. She used to do autopsies all the time. This was the scientific background that she had to offset Mulder's belief in sci-fi and paranormal stuff during investications. The show ended in 2002. A neurosurgery residency is 6 years if the candidate has already had a "prelim" year of residency. That would make her a neurosurgeon in 2008 which is when the movie is released and takes place.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 12:31 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys remember Chris Carter's other show, MILLENNIUM? If not, you might want to skip the next paragraph, which has MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

The first season of MILLENNIUM was pretty much a serial killer of the week series. In Season 2, Carter was busy with the first X-FILES movie, and he handed control of the show over to Glen Morgan and James Wong, the team responsible for some of best stuff THE X-FILES has to offer. While Carter wasn't paying attention, they decided to make the show good. A supernatural element was added which gave the show direction, and Season 2 ended with a viral outbreak which essentially was going to wipe out humanity. When the show got picked up for a third season, Carter decided that he wanted to take a more active role in the writing, and wanted to bring the show back to its roots. The big problem of course, was that 90% of the world's population was (presumably) killed in the last episode. Carter's solution: Open Season 3 with a news report of a small viral outbreak which killed 60 people in the Northwestern United States. And that's when MILLENNIUM jumped the shark.

So why should we be surprised that now he's doing the same thing with THE X-FILES? If you're gonna do something big, if you're gonna relaunch your series after six years, you have to make it matter. I WANT TO BELIEVE would have been a perfectly forgettable standalone movie if it had occurred at some point during the series. But by putting it after the show has ended, it doesn't just suck. It makes the overall series structure worse. It erases what has come before. It doesn't add anything new to the characters, it doesn't advance the story at all, and by sucking as much as it does, it pretty much ensures that we will never get another movie, with that iconic image of Mulder and Scully driving down an open road with a flying saucer shooting laser beams at their car in the year 2012. And that makes me sad. It's why I hate this movie when I should be ambivalent.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 12:40 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my review summed up in one word........CRAP!

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty dull and uninspiring...

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Billy Connelly as a convicted peadofile makes about as much sense as having Howdy Doody play a fucking bank robber!!!
END SPOILER!!!

P.S You leave 'Quantum of Solace' alone [Smile]

[ 07-29-2008, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Robert John Jeromson ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm looking forward to Quantum of Solace as much as the next guy but that doesn't mean I have to like the title. It's the worst James Bond title since "Octopussy."

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 02:44 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they should have just titled this 'The Zzzz-Files: I Want to Sleep' - the first forty minutes were so mind numbingly dull. What a major disappointment, this the is the final nail to the movie franchise - what a terrible way to end the whole X-Files mythos.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 08:42 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing this finally I have to say I was VERY disappointed. I was hoping that Chris Carter had come up with a great story to resurrect the franchise and then be able to end it properly with another movie or two. I don't think that's going to happen.

If this movie was a 2 part episode of the show it would have been a mediocre episode. As a movie it doesn't work at all. Chris Carter doesn't seem to know what he is doing as a film director. The pacing was horrible, there was no tension built up. There were characters like Xzibit that just didn't have any purpose. Aside from that the story was predictable and dull.

The only thing remotely entertaining was getting to see Mulder and Scully interact again and a few references back to the series.

Unfortunately they killed the series when Duchovney didn't want to do the show anymore and Mulder disappeared for a few seasons. They should have just ended the show at that point and then they would have been able to do a few movie follow ups.

[bs]

1.5 out of 5 stars

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-02-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I didn't miss much with this picture, not that I was gonna see it anyway. This show has never appealed to me. The guy strikes me as a dork, and the girl seems very dull and uninteresting. [dlp]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-06-2008 11:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
The guy strikes me as a dork, and the girl seems very dull and uninteresting.
Tim smacks it outta the ball park in one sentence! [thumbsup] I could never see what all the fuss was about when this thing was on the air. This rehash so long after the show's demise is destined for the DVD bins faster than you can say the title. And no doubt the DVD will have lots of "extras not seen in the theatres" -- you know, the stuff they pick up off the editing room floor, or in the case of video editing, out of the Recycle Bin.

[ 08-06-2008, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Frank Angel ]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With so many dull movies being made, and the universal panning by audiences and people in our business, what do producers see in these lackluster ideas that they wish to invesy huge money into making them?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-06-2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Judging from the box office take, they could probably suggest that the entire movie wasn't seen in theaters. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: