Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mamma Mia (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Mamma Mia (2008)
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-19-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had such hopes for this picture and it kind of works...if only the entire cast could actually oh, I don't know...SING! Shouldn't that be a prerequisite for a musical?

Seriously, every time Pierce Brosnan opens his mouth I cringe along with the audience...I feel their pain.

The film basically tries to stich some sort of story together from the existing lyrics of ABBA's long (so long) list of hit tunes. Many times it works. The movie opens with the great 'I Had A Dream' and gets on with it at telling the story of a young girl about to be married but without a father to give her away at the wedding. Her solution? Steal her mother's diary from the summer she was conceived and send invites to the three guys she bonked that summer in Greece.

Along comes Pierce, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard as the three potential Dads. I'd never heard of Skarsgard before but he's not bad. A Swedish actor I assume he's there as a nod the the Swedish ABBA...maybe he's Benny's favorite?

The audience sings along (to themselves) but they should really all let it rip and try and drown out the guys on screen as I'm sure they could on the whole do a better job of it.

Did I mention it's a musical? People are blaming Woody Allen for making 'Everyone Says I Love You' and having his actors actually sing...but even Woody realized Drew Barrymore sucked and overdubbed her voice with a real singer. Good grief...singing actors do exist.

On the whole I think it really could have worked well with better casting. Meryl Streep is great, but she's just so wrong for this role. Colin Firth plays himself as always. Amanda Seyfried in the main role as Sophie does a great job so they must have lucked out there. The supports of Julie Walters and Christine Baranski as Meryl's long time friends are just there for comic relief but 1) cannot sing and 2) are not funny. Julie's rendition of Take A Chance On Me made me want to cringe.

The director, Phyllidia Lloyd has never directed a movie before and hopefully never will again. It's a complete exercise in how NOT to make a movie with poor set-ups, lazy camera movements and lousy editing.

In the credits there are two songs 'performed' on stage by Meryl, Julie and Christine. First is Dancing Queen and then Waterloo. At the end of the first one, Meryl comes up to the camera and yells at the audience: "DO YOU WANT ANOTHER ONE?" The audience should yell out what I say in my head every time. "Oh, God...NOoooooooooooooooo...! MERCY!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Enjoy the songs and reminisce if you like, but Mamma Mia is better left as a hit tune from the 70's. I wanted to like it...honest I did.

1/5

[ 07-20-2008, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2008 11:22 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads-up, John. I was thinking of checking this one out, but I will save my time and go watch some more episodes of Veronica Mars instead.

Skarsgard is a great actor - Swedish, yes - whom I first came across in his stellar performance opposite Emily Watson in 'Breaking The Waves'. That's the part I most remember him for. After becoming better known in the original version of 'Insomnia', he crossed over to mainstream movies and was great in 'Good Will Hunting'. It sounds like he's wasted here, though. Pity.

Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic. I cannot review the movie as I haven't seen it, and probably (now) won't.

Next review, please!

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 01:12 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just...awful. I felt like I needed to watch Hairspray to make myself feel better after screening this.

Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 01:54 AM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really sucks!!!

I myself am a huge fan of musicals and really was looking forward to seeing this movie. I'm not sure if I'm going to now.

However I have had alot of people come out saying it was great. So I guess I will see soon and give my review

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-20-2008 02:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I'd seen him before when he was much younger. Breaking The Waves, that would be it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2008 02:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen bits and pieces of this from the booth, fortunately. This movie will make you hate all of the actors due to their character's insipid personalities. The premise of the story itself makes me cringe. The picture is bright and sharp, but the colors are digitally oversaturated and contrasty. Then you add a soundtrack that will make you immensely jealous of deaf people and it only gets worse. This is fantastic movie to contemplate suicide to.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 08:11 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it this afternoon. Hairspray it was not. It didn't have half the energy.

I never saw the stage musical, but I kept feeling as though it might have, or seem to have, more energy because a large cast would be confined to a small space where they would sing and dance their hearts out live. On the big screen I kept feeling like they didn't know how to use all the space they had, so what were supposed to be big numbers shrank.

While none of the three fathers could sing, I thought it was wonderful casting because there's no question that Meryl Streep, or most women, would be attracted to all three. I loved Julie Walters. I'm not a huge fan of Streep or Christine Baranski, but they didn't bother me any.

What's sad for the future is how bland all the young singer-actors were. Who's going to take over in 20 years when Streep's generation of actors has retired?

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 11:11 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Skarsgard from Good Will Hunting.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen it yet but fortunately it sounds like the only good thing to come from the movie is the first public reunion of all 4 members of the group in over 25 years at the Stockholm premiere.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2008 12:28 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THis is truly one of the most incompetent musicals I've seen ever! The film looks overexposed in a number of scenes. It's WAY too bright with no subtelty, which I guess matches the "performances." THe girl actually sings well and Meryl Streep is OK,but most of the performances are way over the top. While the boys in their flippers have an excuse for what laughably passes for dancing on the pier, what is everyone else's excuse? The actors play up to the cameras in the style of those buddy comedies where its all wink! wink! patronizing style. (And I want to make it clear that I actually LIKE musicals!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. . . . . it's a woman's film, especially, a woman-of-a-certain-age-movie.

All comments above are true, but if you can't relax and enjoy a frothy summertime delight like Mama Mia! with Streep as your cheerleader, then you are to be pitied. Streep never misses. (Repeat after me: Streep never . . . . ) Louis

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2008 07:08 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
It's WAY too bright with no subtelty
Didn't you just describe ABBA's music? [Big Grin]

I saw it Friday night (the previous show was sold out) with some female co-workers, so between us women of that "certain age" of 20's 30's and 40's, it was entertaining.

I do agree that visually, it often looked sloppy. The timing from shot to shot was often stunning in how it did not match. And though it was shot in Panavision, the picture seemed softer than I would have expected.

I saw the live show on Broadway in 2005, so I knew what to expect story-wise. It's goofy and over the top, again like much of ABBA's music. But unlike ABBA's tightly produced music, the movie seems very casual and often haphazard. Like celebrities doing karaoke.

Having said that, we did enjoy it, with all its faults. I could go into detail over the various vocal abilities of the actors (upon later listening to Pierce Brosnan on Youtube, he really doesn't sound as bad as all that--I think much of my initial cringing was the incongruity of watching James Bond sing ABBA).

I can easily see this campy film becoming a "Midnight Movie," with a Rocky Horror kind of participation.

BTW, I love ABBA's music.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-22-2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see this. I purely LOVE ABBA!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 12:09 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this tonight, and wow it was.... interesting. The 2 sidekicks (baranski and what's her name) did pretty horrible renditions of the songs, but Meryl Streep was probably the "best" of all the singers. The colors were nice, but I didnt understand the fakey/contrasty look that most of the film had, it was out of place like the vaseline lense look in Indiana Jones 4. It was great to see the male members from ABBA in the film, I didn't see Frida or Agnetha though.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 05:53 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, Frida and Agnetha aren't in the movie at all. Probably not interested because they haven't made tons of money off the show like Benny and Bjorn.

They all did appear together at the Swedish premiere.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: