Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Dark Knight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Author Topic: The Dark Knight
Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what can I say. I just saw this, twice. I will just say that it is pretty much the best movie I have seen in years. I am still trying to get over how good it was.

Acting was stunning! Ledger was brilliant as the Joker, absolutely brilliant!

I think you should watch it and see for yourself. I know I'm going to see it a couple more times.

5/5. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-17-2008 02:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most definitely the strongest hit of the summer! All of the houses on opening night (thursday night mid) should be sold out, along with the opening weekend.

(152 min on 7 FULL reels! NOW, why can the labs do films like this all the time ??)

152 minutes disappeared very quickly since it kept you in total interest!

..and Ledger, with his performance in this film as the Joker, should win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor (Post.)

Well acted, written and directed!

5/5 for me as well !

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2008 02:40 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I truly hope Ledger wins the Oscar for this.

His family will be proud of him, they saw a pre-screening weeks ago, and would be very proud. He is a great actor and would have only gotten better.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate hyped up movies like you wouldn't believe. 99% of the time I just end up disliking them because of the hype, but this was an exception. Probably the best 3 hours I've spent in a theater in a LONG time. Great all the way around. There was a few reviews I read where they were comparing it to crime-dramas like Heat. It is more like a crime movie, that just happens to have a dude in a bat costume and a guy in clown make-up.

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone on the Ledger/Oscar thing. His performance was one of the best comic book characters I have ever seen, but just because he's dead doesn't mean they need to hand an Oscar over to him. Plus, if he was still alive, I'd bet there would be no Oscar talk. Hell, I liked Ron Perlman as Hellboy quite a bit, but there's no way he deserves and Oscar either.

SPOILER!!!
I wasn't expecting them to get into Harvey Dent as Two Face. I thought they would leave that to another movie. Absolutly fantastic way of doing his half face. And he had more screen time than Ledger did, which was surprising.

END SPOILER

Oh, and the BIGGEST PET PEEVE of mine of all time is when I screen a movie with employees that like to talk through the whole damn thing. One of the perks of screening movies early is that I don't have to deal with the chatty public. But I seem to always get stuck in the theater with the talkative employees...Just had to get that off my chest haha.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-2008 01:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Batman movies. I hate, hate, hate them. They are stupid and offer no enjoyment value to me.

That being said, the last Batman movie was at least decent. Not great, but decent.

This Batman movie was very good. Not once did I look at my watch during this and not once was I bored with the movie. That's not to say this movie isn't without problems...but they were pretty much due to Christian Bale and the occasional line of dialog being buried in the sound mix.

Christian Bale's performance as Batman was ok, but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about. My biggest issue was how every time he was in the bat suit and had a line of dialogue to deliver I had to roll my eyes at how stupid he sounded. Was he trying to impersonate Darth Vader? I mean seriously, it was ridiculously overdone.

Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman's performances were well done all around. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were their usual excellent selves. The rest of the cast did very good as well. The only bad acting in this came from Batman himself.

Now in regards to Heath Ledger, I am in the camp of "just because he died and this is his last film doesn't mean he deserves an oscar". Yes I know he was in Brokeback Mountain, and had he not been in that movie playing a gay man he would never have achieved such a fanbase, but in this movie as the Joker...WOW! For once I have to side with the masses here. His performance was fantastic! Definitely the best protrayal of a comic book character ever. Although the entire movie is good, Heath Ledger is the reason to see this movie.

The movie overall...4 out of 5.

Any scene with Heath Ledger...5 out of 5.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2008 04:02 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison, I solved the talkative staff chatter problem by banning them from my screenings [Big Grin]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 02:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still coming down from the high of seeing this. What a cinematic experience. Anyone notice how good the 35mm prints looked on this? It just seemed so visceral and detailed.

I wanted to see more of the Joker. I was totally engaged every second he was on the screen.

I can't wait to see this one again.

AJG

Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 04:24 AM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-I don't think anyone deserves an Oscar more depending on their physical health.
-Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar.
-I really like what this movie did with Batman's character-- he's not particularly likeable or even noticeable. Bruce Wayne's struggles are very interesting, but Batman is not a character so much as a force. He's upstaged by pretty much everyone and I think that was intentional. There are a few exceptions, and the one scene of the Batman character that I really liked was in the briefing room with the Joker... but that may have just been more Heath Ledger making everything better.

Truly a phenomenal moviegoing experience. This is what film and theatre are all about-- gripping, deep, and yet incredibly fun. A great juxtaposition of intelligent cinema and popcorn movies.

5/5. I'm gonna try and see this in IMAX in Lincoln Square...

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 07:21 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
Anyone notice how good the 35mm prints looked on this? It just seemed so visceral and detailed.
This probably has to do with a few things...

1) Parts were filmed in IMAX
2) Non-imax scenes were filmed in 35mm anamorphic (not super 35)
3) Because of the IMAX release, digital CGI scenes were scanned at 8k for the IMAX sourced parts and 4k for the 35mm sourced parts (I haven't seen what resolution the effects were actually rendered at)
4) There was no digital intermediate. Non-CGI scenes were not digitised so all printing steps were done completely analog.

If this thing earns as much as it looks to based on midnights, maybe Nolan will get to shoot the whole next one (which I'm sure will end up being developed) in IMAX. Or, somebody could introduce him to 5-perf 65mm film for Non-IMAX scenes (or if IMAX doesn't exist as a film format in 3 years).

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
3) Because of the IMAX release, digital CGI scenes were scanned at 8k for the IMAX sourced parts and 4k for the 35mm sourced parts (I haven't seen what resolution the effects were actually rendered at)
4) There was no digital intermediate. Non-CGI scenes were not digitised so all printing steps were done completely analog.

Do you have a source? This is very cool, but wasn't Indy 4 supposedly done without a digital intermediate? It didn't look any better than any other release print, at least to me.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really get much better than THE DARK KNIGHT. Usually if you want to see something this well written, you have to stay home and watch TV. But this thing combines all the spectacle of a summer blockbuster with what may be the best screenplay of the decade.

This is everything an adaptation should be. Christopher Nolan obviously has a strong understanding of the source material's essence, and he knows how to maintain that while simultaneously morphing elements of the mythology into something which suits his needs.

Where Tim Burton's movies built a world in which the character could exist, Nolan's movies find a way to fit that character into our world. The result is a story with much more emotional resonance and social relevance.

The performances were good all around. Heath Ledger was obviously great, and their take on the Joker was interesting. It feels like they built that character around his motives in Alan Moore's THE KILLING JOKE, which is probably my single favorite comic book of all time.

But even more interesting was the Harvey Dent storyline. That character has always been way more interesting than the Joker, and this movie's handling of him, while straight-forward, was very effective.

And that leads to another thing, which is the fact that Harvey Dent's storyline was even dealt with. This movie covers so much ground, and it's all woven together so seamlessly. It has a gazillion elements taken from a gazillion different stories, but it feels like if any one were missing, the whole thing would fall apart. It's air-tight.

From a technical standpoint, the photography was simple, yet effective. The movie has a very clean look, with superb use of color and movement.

The editing is also simple, yet effective. My only complaint is that it felt like choices were made in the editing room in order to get a PG-13. There are some scenes where a series of shots seem to lead in a certain direction, and then the payoff is something that doesn't really make any sense.

The sound is amazing. It really takes full advantage of the low end, and the music does a great job of creating a tone for the movie.

TINY SPOILER

And like with WANTED, it was fun to see locations that I regularly frequent up on the big screen. For example the building that blows up near the end of the film is (or at least was) within walking distance of my house. In fact, I was on a train that passed it while firefighters were still trying to put out the flames. Last summer, I'd go Downtown, and see stuff like a truck flipped over in the middle of the street, and think, "What's the story behind that?" Now I know.

So altogether, pretty good. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Do you have a source? This is very cool, but wasn't Indy 4 supposedly done without a digital intermediate? It didn't look any better than any other release print, at least to me.
I think INDY IV did have a DI. But for comparison's sake, a recent anamorphic movie which didn't was THERE WILL BE BLOOD Personally, I think that movies which use a DI tend to look better than those that don't. While resolution is lost, the fact that fewer generations are required to get to a release print seems to outweigh that.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:47 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! A film that actually Film Techers Love! This really has to be good! [evil]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
The article was posted somewhere in a film-tech forum. I think it was in the large format discussion about it being filmed in IMAX.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 02:51 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER!!
quote: Allison Parsons
I wasn't expecting them to get into Harvey Dent as Two Face. I thought they would leave that to another movie. Absolutly fantastic way of doing his half face.
They gave that away in the trailer when they showed him with his face in the pool of liquid.
END SPOILER

As with seemingly everyone, this movie lived up to my very high expectations. The Superman crew has their work seriously cut out for them now. The 2005 Batman was much, much better than the crappy 2006 Superman movie and now they have to follow this act? Good luck...

My only criticism, if I can really stretch for one, is that they backed off on the blood a little. Plenty of explosions though.

David Alexander B
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for David Alexander B   Author's Homepage   Email David Alexander B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haven't seen it yet (released here in the Kinepolis complex next week).
but some comments:
1/ why having picked this Maggie ? she has an old looking face, hard to explain. i'm in the camp of those few who liked Katie Holmes (or didn't dislike her).
2/ it's again a proof that a movie in this genre needs THE vilain and Heath as far as i saw is incredible. top notch.
3/ some critics said it's even too dark, too adult. i like that !!! enough of movies for the 12-24public
4/ so a lot of work has been done to make cgi almost invisible? good because with blu ray at home , a lot of movies with cgi have a serious problem.
well can't wait to see it twice and then expecting asap a blu ray (November ?)

With IRON MAN, the super hero genre has turned towards a more adult public finally (compared to spiderman, superman etc).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: