Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)
Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Real D 3D! I can't believe nobody has hit this one yet. Maybe it is just a bigger deal for me, since my company decided it needed to have a 2k DLP running in time to show this in 3D, and I want to rip my hair out. That is another thread, though.

This movie is terrible. The acting is terrible. The writing is terrible. The special effects are pretty much terrible. I can't believe it is only an hour and a half. It felt like closer to three. I recommend not seeing it at a public showing, because, if you are like me, you will be completely unable to stop yourself from yelling at the screen a dozen times. And it isn't the screen I'm mad at, because I just got a nice new silver screen. It is this movie, which is terrible. 0 out of it doesn't matter, because 0 divided by anything is the same thing. Infinite terribleness.

Now, here is my Real D mini review. Real D is cool. It is a cool technology, and it could be used to do some really cool things. Flashlights falling at your face and birds coming right at you are not, however, among them. There are a few parts where the 3D adds real depth and object separation. This was awesome. It probably is not feasible, considering people's fickleness, but 3D really could be a great film making tool. Real D gets a 4 out of 5, because those glasses were uncomfortable, and it has issues at the far front and far back of the auditorium.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 01:14 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3D makes this movie almost interesting enough to watch. The scenes shot on practical sets work really well. The scenes in virtual sets don't. The 3D was used effectively. I just wish they did a better job lighting.

I agree with Galen that the technology could be used to do some really cool things, and I think that it will on 12/18/09.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree..l. this is a film that you go to for the 3-D stuff and nothing else. Its equally as good in Dolby or Real-D 3-D. Heck, even as a kid I found the original movie boring and drawn out... the only thing it really had going for it was Arlene Dahl! It didn't have a very good script either.

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2008 08:54 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
I agree with Galen that the technology could be used to do some really cool things, and I think that it will on 12/18/09.
And what comes out 12/18/09?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2008 09:25 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Cameron's AVATAR! Woo Hoo!

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 12:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Tysons Corner
Auditorium #6
REAL-D

While the story is an inventive take on the Jules Verne book of the same name, the only thing I had fault with was the inconsistent use of the 3D filming - there at times when the effect is used in effective over the top ways, and others that are just lost and seem like a cop-out to the filmmakers. But... it's fun and the audience I saw it with had a blast.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
James Cameron's AVATAR! Woo Hoo!
This will be so long-awaited and the hype on it will be so massive that it's practically guaranteed to suck. "Titanic" lightning isn't likely to strike twice, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong though.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, anticipation doesn't impact the quality of a movie. It change the way a movie is initially perceived, but that has little to do with how good it is, or how history looks back on it.

Second, TITANIC isn't a case of lightning striking. James Cameron movies being masterpieces are more like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
First off, anticipation doesn't impact the quality of a movie. It change the way a movie is initially perceived, but that has little to do with how good it is, or how history looks back on it.
I'm not sure about that. Look at Waterworld. At the time it was The Most Expensive Movie Ever Made, and it was over budget and delayed, and the problems on the set were legendary. The media ran with that and the result was everyone hated the movie before it was even released. If none of that had happened, it might have been regarded as just what it was: A fairly good Kevin Costner movie.

Anytime somebody waits forever between related projects, it causes a problem with the hype machine. The same thing happened with the new Indiana Jones, just not to as big an extent. People will expect Avatar to be the best movie of the 21st Century, and when it comes out and is "just" a very good movie, disappointment will run rampant.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 04:05 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe hype can impact history's view on a movie. I haven't seen WATERWORLD, but you seem to have liked it. Does the media's spin on the movie make you like it less?

And as someone who hasn't seen the movie, if I were to watch it now, I wouldn't have all that baggage, and I would be able to see it for what it is, which is all that really matters.

But (to get this thread back on topic) one thing's for sure. JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH 3D has, and always will suck, regardless of the hype.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 05:47 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James Cameron directed movies since 1984...

The Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2
True Lies
Titanic

He's got a good track record, don't you think? Yes, he has a lot to live up to to follow Titanic...but I'm prepared to give him my confidence he can pull it off.

Let's hope. At least there's no way EVEN if it sucks that it will suck anywhere near as much as that last excuse of an Indiana Jones movie. That film has set a new benchmark in suckyness.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a good example of what I'm talking about. Like Mike said, INDY IV didn't live up to expectations, so people like John hated it. But ten years from now, some kid will see it for the first time from an unbiased perspective, and realize that it's just as good as the other three. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-14-2008 10:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indy 4 was decent, but not great.

Regarding James Cameron and Avatar, I just hope it's a good movie. I couldn't be made to give a rat's ass if it doesn't surpass the box office success of Titanic.

Some of the folks in the press will certainly be spinning everything as hard as they can to make it seem like Cameron will have failed if Avatar doesn't gross over $600 million in the United States. And those press folks deserve to be called idiots if they wish to judge the movie that way. It's a flat out unreasonable expectation.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 10:49 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But ten years from now, some kid will see it for the first time from an unbiased perspective, and realize that it's just as good as the other three. [Smile]
Then again, maybe they won't. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 09:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
This movie is terrible. The acting is terrible. The writing is terrible.
Whadda expect for a Canadian made TV movie?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: