Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Get Smart (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Get Smart (2008)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-20-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #8, 35mm. No presentation issues worth mentioning.

OK, so here we have potentially another entry on the long sorry list of movies made from old TV shows. Most such movies should have never been made because they're just not any good (Beverly Hillbillies anyone?). Get Smart manages to squeak by though. It's not horrible. Steve Carrell and the other actors make it work reasonably well, and it has a few funny lines and scenes in it, though not enough of either. It might be 10 minutes too long too. However it doesn't suck. I can't really recommend it, but OTOH, for this genre of movie, saying it doesn't suck is high praise.

I give it 2.5 stars out of 5. Could have been better, also could have been much worse.

Liked the dedication to Don Adams and Edward Platt. [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-20-2008 10:22 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: "BigTime Cinemas" Webster, Webster City, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Analog
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: See notes
RATING: See notes

This is an old Fridley single-screener, which Fridley has apparently shunned along with the Metropolitan in Iowa Falls. BigTime now operates them along with some theaters in Bethany and Trenton, Missouri. Seriously...How 'big time' can you be when you have four theatres with a combined seven screens?

There is no ticket station...you buy tickets at the concession stand. When you indicate how many tickets you want, they ask "Do you want concessions?"

I say "Yes".

She stares at me. She stares some more.

She's not going to ask, is she.

Okay. "Medium popcorn and a large Pepsi".

He Who Mans The Drink Station draws a Pepsi, while a real tub of really stale, dry looking popcorn magically appears immediately. "You can get straws and butter your popcorn over there", she says as she points to the self-serve buttery popcorn machine and He Who Mans The Drink Station...hands me a straw.

"Oh," she says.

"He ordered a large," He Who Mans The Drink Station says sarcastically.

"I SEE that," she snaps back.

Apparently, if you order a large, they give you a longer straw than those you will find at the straw station.

Random Teenage Blonde Girl says "I'm going to thread the film" and disappears while I attempt to overheat the motor on the buttery topping machine, which may very well play a factor in tonight's events.

The auditorium is a typical Fridley shoebox, not the old palace you might imagine in this building. The place has been kept up well, I'll give them that. The audience, about 30, are largely junior high school-aged teenagers who run amock gossiping, fighting, and trying to decide where to sit and/or who to sit with. Yeah...this should be fun...

There's a video advertising preshow, and a LOT rolling stock afterward. Then the trailers start out of frame. Somebody eventually gets up to complain, and the problem is fixed by Random Blonde Teenage Projectionist.

The show goes on...for awhile.

About 20 minutes in, the projection lamp flickers and the house lights flash bright for maybe half a second.

About 40 minutes in, the lamp and the house lights go out completely. The projector keeps running...we have sound. Random Blonde Teenage Projectionist is visible in the booth on the phone. She stops the film, fiddles, and in a couple of minutes, the lamphouse has power and she starts the film again.

Another flicker happens shortly thereafter.

About an hour in, the lamp and the house lights go out again. RBTP returns, repeats procedure, and ALL of the power goes out. The generator lights on the back wall kick on. The booth is dark.

And that's the end of the show. The manager pops in and says "Folks, we've lost power, so at this time we'd like to issue refunds."

Crowd: "Woo-Hoo!" Seriously...not ONE person seemed disappointed.

So I ended up seeing maybe 45 minutes of the movie, tops.

Outside, I confirm...The neighbors have power. I get the feeling this place is a fire waiting to happen.

THE PLOT: The Cold War is over...or IS it? Wackiness ensues.

Carrell has his own unique take on Maxwell Smart, and it works. There's slapstick aplenty. But I only saw up through the dance scene, so I'll probably have to see this again. I'll say this...I didn't laugh as much as I'd hoped.

To Be Continued...

[ 06-21-2008, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Sam Graham ]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-21-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Oak View 24, Omaha, NE
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Picture out of focus (enough to annoy me but apparently nobody else...complained...didn't matter)
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Honestly...If I NEVER have to see Steve Carrell kiss Dwayne Johnson again, It'll be too soon.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2008 05:46 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this today at AMC Tysons Corner 16 in theater #11. I was really surprised this was playing in both of their 500 seat rooms, I didn't think there would be that much interest! The show I was at was nearly full, not sold out but close.

Overall I thought this was hilarious and well done! I'm not familiar with the tv series, so I have no idea how it compares. Steve Carrell was pretty good in this role, decent action, story was rather typical but did the job well enough. I give it 8/10.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This new incarnation of the popular 60's TV series is easily the equal of the best Sean Connery 007 movies.
"I find that very hard to believe."
Would you believe the equal of an Avengers remake starring Vin Diesel and Pamela Anderson?
"No."
How about a Uwe Boll directed Inspector Gadget II?

The film begins nicely, recreating the iconic opening sequence from the TV series, expanding on its ideas just enough to distinguish itself from its source. The nostalgia drips readily from the screen but sadly it rapidly fades as its comic targets are struck only occasionally. All of Maxwell Smart's iconic verbal quips are here ("missed it by that much", "ah, the old.....trick", "sorry about that, Chief" etc) but they seem to be included purely for nostalgic reason, their delivery lacking the intended comedic effect. And political correctness wins again, relegating Asian villain, The Claw ("No, not da Craw, DA CRAW!") to a merely a handwritten mention on one of Agent 86's analytical notes.

Steve Carell concentrates a little too much on mimicking the late Don Adams' trademark dead-pan style that he misses the oversure cockiness required to make the character of Maxwell Smart work. Of course, Carell doesn't have Adams' voice either. Anne Hathaway fares much better, successfully transforming Barbara Feldon's doe-eyed Agent 99 into a modern day driven career woman unafraid to use her sexual wiles to influence people. Dwayne Johnson performs admirably as legend Agent 23.

That the film received a PG classification is a little surprising given the frequency of inappropriate language and violence. Such a rating earns the movie a default kiddie audience and you can almost hear the squeaks of parents squirming in their seats at various points.

Far from being an abject failure, Get Smart is a moderately entertaining spy farce which captures the spirit of Mel Brooks' and Buck Henry's original creation with only limited success.

6 out of 10

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-22-2008 11:48 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this at Becky's Drive-In, Berlinsville, PA.

Had some laughs, but certainly not up to the TV show. I thought many of the jokes, as delivered by Carrell, fell flat. The other characters came off considerably better - even the one portrayed by Dwayne Johnson... and he's a professional wrestler by trade.

When I saw the trailer, I thought Steve Carrell was probably the best choice anyone could've made to play Maxwell Smart. However, he turned out to be quite dull with a character that needed to be very sharp. I suppose this is the lot of remade TV shows... so much of the characters we grow attached to are borne of the original actor's personality. Anything else will either be a cheap imitation, or a different approach - neither of which will be as satisfying.

Two popcorn kernals out of five, for slapstick moments.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
Dwayne Johnson... and he's a professional wrestler by trade.
Actually he is now a professional Actor by trade [Razz]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-02-2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least he's not being credited as, "The Rock" anymore! [Roll Eyes]

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business wasn't all that great with this movie. Maybe the public is as tired of TV remakes as we are.

I liked the movie, as escapist fare mostly. No lessons to be learned, just a little mind down time.

The PG rating, like mentioned above, brought kids in. A few words here and there made me squirm because of kids watching. The captioned "Holy shit, a Ferrari" by the peasant farmer and his cell phone camera equipped wife wasn't necessary for this movie. I'm a little old fashioned maybe, but cussing isn't always needed. My opinion, that's all, and the grandfatherly instincts in me.

It was fun, not great, not bad, just fun. 3 out of 5.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We watched this Saturday night.

I had heard it was just as much a spoof on the Bourne-style movies as it was a remake of the TV show. It works better than the Bourne movies in some ways -- for one thing, the camera work is steady so it's possible to actually follow the action.

I agree with the comment above that TV shows are more about the actors than the characters. If that wasn't the case we'd have seen a "Barney Fife" movie by now - but Hollywood knows that there is absolutely no way anybody else could do Don Knotts.

I haven't seen the "Get Smart" TV show in many years but I do think a lot of the humor in the movie is lost on today's audiences because they're not familiar with the character. Hearing "Sorry about that, chief" once in a movie doesn't have the same comedic effect as hearing it in the TV show - you knew it was going to come up, but you just didn't know when.

There have been a lot of bad TV remakes, and we haven't played them all, but my all time least favorite was "The Beverly Hillbillies." And my favorite was "Mission Impossible." If the former was a zero and the latter a 10, this would rank maybe a 6.5. On my usual five-star movie scale, I'd give it 3 stars.

At least it didn't have a WTF moment, although the Carrell/Johnson kiss came close.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineworld Bradford, Screen 12, 35mm, Dolby SR

Not as good as I though it might have been. Not enough laughts and an overly confusing plot. 2 out of 5.

BTW: Does anyone know what this was shot on. Some part definately look like HD, yet the end credits doesn't mention any digital photography (but does mention a "digital intermedite"). Could it be part film, part HD?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 08:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Camera
Panavision Genesis HD Camera, Primo Lenses
Panavision Panastar, Primo Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm (some scenes) (Kodak Vision2 50D 5201, Vision2 200T 5217, Vision2 500T 5218)
Video (HDTV)

Cinematographic process
Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)
HDCAM SR (source format)
Spherical (some scenes) (source format)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-23-2008 08:15 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened it 2nd run this past Saturday night early show to an audience of
slightly over eleven hundred, it has been a long time since I've heard so much laughter from an audience. I only watched a little, seemed pretty good to me.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-23-2008 10:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eleven hundred??? Holy smokes...how did you get that many to a second run? (That's huge even for a first run...! ) [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-24-2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was the free beer? [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: