Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Wanted (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wanted (2008)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting movie. I don't want to give anything away, but this is the first Matrix-type movie that has worked since...well, The Matrix. (And no I do NOT consider the Matrix sequels to be worth anything other than a waste of time.)

I will just leave it at that, but suffice to say I enjoyed it.

4 out of 5

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn non-disclosure agreements [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
No studio will ever get pissy about a non-spoiler review with a good rating.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately being in distribution we have a gag order complete with "no posting on the internet" clause. However I agree completely with your star rating [Smile]

Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 12:36 AM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great action, great acting, decent plot, fun twists. This is what summer movies are all about.

4/5.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 06:27 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is another one of those that I'm not sure about. I liked the gun play and the idea. I don't think it had great acting, but I like McAvoy playing a badass. I didn't think the plot was great, nothing we havn't seen in a million other action movies. Angelina looked good as always, nice shot of her ass. Over all I would say this is a watch once but not a buy.

3/5 [thumbsup]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this movie was really good. It was over the top but fun and had a pretty original concept. It's kind of like The Matrix meets Batman Begins. It had a good plot with some cool twists and visually it was very well done.

4 out of 5

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I found to be most entertaining about this movie was that most of the film was shot in locations that I am very familiar with. Probably more than any other movie, WANTED utilized the areas of Chicago that I go to most often. It's one thing to look and say, "Hey, that's Lake and Wabash!" But the first car chase in the parking lot outside of the grocery store was shot at Cermak Plaza, which was formerly home to the Car-Kabob, made famous by WAYNE'S WORLD (you can even see it briefly in one shot). I'm there at least a couple times a week.

Aside from that, I wasn't very impressed. The action sequences are fairly well made, and the movie is fun enough to watch. But the writing was incredibly bad.

[ 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Mike Schindler ]

Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 12:04 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked the director's previous work on Night Watch and Day Watch, and felt that there were plenty of similarities with Wanted, particularly the quality of the visuals, the guiding hand of destiny, and underground organizations fighting to preserve a "balance". The Exterminator, btw, is played by Konstantin Khabensky, the lead from the Night Watch franchise (which will end with Last Watch).

I call it a 4 of 5 stars, and a fairly impressive English-language debut for director Timur Bekmambetov. Anyone who gets James McAvoy hot and sweaty is aces in my book [Big Grin]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-04-2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: Flippy bullets! Wackiness ensues

About all I can get motivated to say is...It's an incredibly stupid script with some great action sequences. It was fun, I guess, but I'm betting by the time the DVD hits stores, I'll actually have to look up the synopsis to remember what it was.

Morgan Freeman's last two words at the end pretty much say it all.

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2008 04:19 AM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie just over 24 hours ago and I cannot for the life of me recall what those two words were. I guess that tells you the impact it had on me.

It was fun, but I don't need to see it again.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #14, 35mm. Xlnt presentation, very steady and sharp image, really looked and sounded good. [Cool]

The movie rates very highly with me for its eye candy and well-done action sequences. The CGI is mostly very good, and the story is sort of an interesting twist on The Matrix. So why didn't I like it more? I don't know.

I'll give it 2.75 out of 5. Can't strongly recommend it but didn't hate it either.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun, mindless entertainment.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2008 04:58 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..be kinda tough to 'shoot the wings off of a fly...' - with a .45

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-09-2008 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy! Just put the bullet close by the fly and let the wake turbulence strip the wings off the little bastard. If you can't do that you don't need to carrying around a .45 or any other handgun for that matter. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: