Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Incredible Hulk (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 07:26 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can finally tell the Film-tech world, The Cine-Capri at Harkins Tempe Marketplace 16 is now the All DIGITAL Cine-Capri. Starting tomorrow night at midnight the Cine-Capri will be all digital. I got the chance tonight to screen our print and I must say it looked GREAT. Crystal clear image, rock steady like it should be. We were already the #1 theatre in the valley, now there really is no doubt.

Now on to the film, I really really liked it. Marvel really has there head on straight right now and we are definitely in a golden age for comic book inspired movies. Iron Man and now Incredible Hulk, two movies that are going to make the shareholders happy. The Hulk has seen an Upgrade and looks great. Yes he looks CGI, but he looks damn good. The casting was great all around in this one. William Hurt was great as Gen. Ross, Norton was spot on as Banner. He just has the acting chops to play the conflicted man. Tim Roth plays a great villian, he just has the creepy factor going.

A lot of people will complain about Liv Tyler but what more do you want from her. She plays the love interest who is caught in the middle between her father and her true love. She did a great job connecting with Banner in his Hulk form. I really liked her in this and think she did a better job then Jennifer Connelly in the 2003 incarnation.

There was a lot of stuff that was shown in the trailer that didn't make the final cut, so I can't wait for the Blu-Ray of this. I really only have one complaint about this and that was sometimes Hulk and Abomination's size changed. One minute they would be like 8-9' tall and then another they would be 15 feet tall. That was my only complaint, but its not so bad that it takes you out of the movie. This is a must see for action movie fans and summer movie addicts.

4.5/5 [thumbsup]

p.s. I also love the fact that Marvel can have characters from other movies cross over. What a world the comic fan lives in now with Marvel Productions.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Marvel really has there head on straight right now and we are definitely in a golden age for comic book inspired movies.
That's great to hear. I know when I first heard about Iron Man I was skeptical and it turned out to be great. Now, if we can just get the audience excited about this one! The buzz here is definitely a tepid "eh." Hopefully good word of mouth and reviews will help.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marvel's glory may be short-lived. Word on the internet is that they don't want to pay John Favreau to make IRON MAN 2, and are opting for someone cheaper. Not a good sign.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure why they even made this movie. Didn't they just have a Hulk movie a few years back? And this isn't even a sequel... it's yet another reboot! Did the world really demand another one, especially so soon? The Hulk himself looks pretty much the same as the Hulk in the last movie... CGI lifelessness and jumping all over the place like a baboon.

The reason people complain about Liv Tyler is that she is fugly. Also, her dad creates crappy music.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Marvel's glory may be short-lived. Word on the internet is that they don't want to pay John Favreau to make IRON MAN 2, and are opting for someone cheaper. Not a good sign.
First of all, although he did a good job on Iron Man, let's not make Jon Favreau out to be Francis Ford Coppola. Second, I'm sure it's all just a negotiating tactic.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, yes there was one in 2003. This isn't a reboot or a sequel, its a continuation. It doesn't try and explain the origins it just picks up and goes. I would have to argue that in this one he doesn't look lifeless and he doesn't jump around like a baboon. You don't see him jumping 2 miles at a time, he shows emotion. When he has to get to the top of a building, he doesn't just leap to the top. He scales the building to get to the top.

[ 06-12-2008, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Zupin ]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
First of all, although he did a good job on Iron Man, let's not make Jon Favreau out to be Francis Ford Coppola.
His talent is irrelevant. The point is that Marvel is treating the creator of a very successful movie as if he were disposable. That's disrespectful, and suggests a certain way of thinking which can easily lead to bad movies.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2008 10:33 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
This isn't a reboot or a sequel, its a continuation. It doesn't try and explain the origins it just picks up and goes.
If this movie began with [in the context of being chronologically after the 2003 hulk].... anyway, on to something better!....[Hulk 2008] it would explain itself better.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what I was going to say. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2008 03:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So will the next Hulk movie just be called "The Incredible Hulk" as well (with a whole new cast, of course)?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2008 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I walked into this movie and watched about 3 minutes of the Hulk popping a vein and getting all pissy at people. Three words...bad cgi hell. It also felt like a product of someone trying to impersonate Ed Wood.

1 out of 5 stars only because what I heard of the soundtrack was pretty damn impressive.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2008 02:36 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was some quote from Louis Letterier where he said that the big climactic battle in this movie was 20 minutes long. I remember thinking that that sounded tremendously boring, and I was right. This is probably when Brad walked into the theater.

However, the rest of the movie is great. The story on its own works relatively well, but where this thing really excels is in the category of universe-expansion. The idea of layering in elements from other franchises in order to create a richer mythology is one of the things that comics do best, and it's exciting to see the movies adopting this approach.

That being said, I've read that some of those elements, like the last scene, were done at the filmmaker's suggestion, and against the better judgment of the studio. Which is one more reason why I think that Marvel movies are doomed. But I sure hope I'm wrong.

[ 06-13-2008, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Mike Schindler ]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Favreau directing Ironman, is his first film that wasn't total crap.
Remember Zathura. [puke]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-14-2008 12:04 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear the Blu-ray version will be about 3 hours or something. At least that's what the director says.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2008 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I interpreted that as meaning that there will be 70 minutes of deleted scenes, not a longer cut of the movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: