Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kung Fu Panda (2008)

Author Topic: Kung Fu Panda (2008)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-08-2008 07:33 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #15, NEC 2K DLP & KlipschSurround. Sue me if you like but it looked and sounded awesomely good.

I did not hate it, but yet it made me sleepy about halfway through. Clearly the filmmakers tried very very hard to make this very very cute, and clever, and yet there I was starting to doze off. The little kiddies in the audience seemed to like it. Maybe they all had some kind of hyperactivity disorder that kept them from falling asleep too. Their parents, I don't know, when you're actively parenting maybe you don't fall asleep so easily.

Visually this movie is stunning in DLP. That's what kept me awake. And the "trailer" for the next Madagascar movie looked even better. Extra-stunning.

I'm going to give this 3 out of 5 stars because it looked so damn good. My sleepiness while viewing it must be a result of becoming newly narcoleptic or something. I probably should see a doctor.

A kid sitting behind me spilled what must have been a 250-oz. Coke. What joy. Really I was too sleepy to get mad.

|  IP: Logged

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened one of my prints Thursday night in my favorite theater, one of my mid-sized screens. 35mm, SRD, 42ft wide screen.

I liked this movie, despite its formulaic plot and generally slapstick humor. Jack Black is everything you would expect in a PG movie, and I think that is a good thing. As far as mindless entertainment goes, this is a good way to spend an hour and a half.

4 out of 5, a good family movie to tide us over until the thermonuclear bomb that is Wall-E explodes from the screen and into our eyes and brains, forever ruining all other movies for us.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-08-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree, Jack Black dialed down to PG was perfect for this movie. All the voice actors did a great job. This is a pretty good family film and there you have it.

Did I mention how good it looks on the screen? [Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2008 09:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it better than the last Shrek? (Or the first Shrek for that matter?)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-08-2008 09:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the first Shrek and you couldn't pay me to see any of its sequels. So, absolutely, yes, Kung Fu Panda is several orders of magnitude better than any Shrek movie. In my opinion. [Big Grin] I will add that my sleepiness while watching it was probably a result of, well, lack of sleep recently. The movie is probably better than I give it credit for. Predictable but fun.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2008 10:49 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Is it better than the last Shrek?
CSPAN 2 is better than the last SHREK. But KUNG FU PANDA makes CSPAN 2 look like SHREK 3.

I read somewhere that this movie is the KILL BILL of animated panda movies, and I'd say that's an accurate description. This is way funnier and has way better action than most "adult" movies. I would highly recommend it.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2008 11:34 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kill Bill of animated Panda movies?

Is there a large pool of animated Panda movies that require a qualification like this? Isn't it automatically the "fill in the blank" of animated Panda movies by default? [Wink]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday Afternoon June 7th, 2008 14:15:00 Show at Cinema Salem, Salem, Ma. House Number 2.

(Disclaimer; I installed this theatre so my presentation review may be a bit biased)

I took my beautiful 5 year old daughter Vanessa to see this with her beautiful mother Angel. We got there really early because we though it would be really busy but it wasn't at all. The film was shown in house #2 which has a Century SA on a pedestal with a 2000 watt super lume-x lamphouse, TA-10 automation, a cp-55 with dolby a type stereo, QSC amplifiers, and JBL Stage Speakers, and "Sony" surrounds.

The show started on time and the focus was very good and the brightness and light uniformity seemed to be good. The framing was slightly off and the previews were all scratched. Fortunately the feature was not scratched and the volume seemed a little low but the sound quality was ok for what it is. (I wish they would put a Sub in here and upgrade to digital)

My daughter, her mother, and I all liked this movie. It was very cute and I think had a great message. I found it be kind of humorous. The animation was outstanding in my opinion. This is a good clean kids movie with a very good message. I would reccomend it!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2008 07:15 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dreamworks has really stepped up their game when it comes to the animation. It's still not on PIXAR level yet but they are doing a great job. Panda looked great, had lots of things going on in the background and never looked sloppy.

We had our employee screening last night and I watched it with them. This was funny and like said before had a great message. I loved how the dad was getting ready to tell him that he wasn't Panda's dad, and it was the "Secret Recipe".

4/5 [thumbsup]

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this at the now Regal (formerly Consolidated) Majestic 20 in room #7; Print was a little scratched at times, and I think they could have turned up the sound just a bit. Overall I ended up really liking this, I think it's probably my favorite Dreamworks animated title so far. Definitely a lot of humorous moments, decent action, and animation was pretty good. Recomended!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Did I mention how good it looks on the screen?

Of course dude! Duh ah you saw it in digital [thumbsup] !

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-05-2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Moore Warren, Moore, OK
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None technically
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

WARNING: "We have one way in, one way out, one thousands guards, and one Spoiler."

I'll say this...It's the biggest 14-plex I've ever seen.

Auditorium 11 is at the end of its corridor. It's quite a walk, and I didn't see any bathrooms aside from the central ones in the lobby. So ladies...go before the movie.

The building is similar to the 13th Avenue Warren in decor. But the screen to seat ratio is way too big and close for DLP (the auditorium is of a "wider is better" design...it's wider with fewer rows so you can have a nice big screen with side masking). You'd probably have to sit in the last few rows of this auditorium to not notice the flaws of digital projection. Even so, it's not so bad that you stop thinking about it as the movie goes along. I was watching from the first row in the stadium tier. There's two slope rows and the handicap/walking row ahead of that.

THE PLOT: A noodle parlor employee screws up and becomes a dragon master, even though he's fat and out of shape and there are no actual dragons in the movie. Wackiness ensues.

Well, it's a cute take on the tried and true Kung-Fu formula. We have the loser turned hero (picked by a turtle who is a dead ringer for the surfer dude turtle in Finding Nemo), a trainer (who looked like the bastard child of Yoda and Gizmo from Gremlins), a bad guy escaped from prison, five trained fighters who fail to defeat said bad guy for tension buildup, and a big showdown at the end. A really SILLY showdown at the end. It was the only actual fun part of the movie, really. Then the credits roll to "Kung-Fu Fighting". THAT'S original.

The only think they didn't pull the trigger on was a love interest. I'm sure everybody had the tigress pegged for that one.

And why did they all have eyes that looked like they were backlit?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2008 10:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with most of the comments above. It looked and sounded great, and was an entertaining movie. I didn't find myself falling asleep during it, as I did with WALL-E, and we have had kid after kid come out saying what a great movie it was. I'm not really into the whole Kung Fu thing nor do I understand or care about it, so the fact that I enjoyed this movie really speaks volumes about the quality of the movie. My wife liked it too.

I think my favorite Dreamworks Animation film would still be the original Shrek, but this one has vaulted into a solid second place, knocking Madagascar into 3rd. I don't really remember anything about the abominations that were Shrek II and III, and Shark Tale.

Our print looked great until it got to reel 5 - there were a couple of light continuous scratches that didn't appear in the rest of the print. Luckily the action scenes in that reel kept the scratches from being bothersome. (Of course, the film arrived way too late for any test screening or even a close inspection.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: