Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sex and the City (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sex and the City (2008)
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and friends wanted to see this so I went along....

First of all I was very impressed that Big Brown had time while training for the triple crown to be the lead in a feature film. Other than that, I wasn't impressed by much. This movie was more like a VERY extended TV episode. It just went on and on and on and on with one pointless scene after another. If they had cut it down to 90 minutes it might have been OK but it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long.

****SPOILER*****

This critically acclaimed and well written series/movie actually resorted to "Dumb and Dumber" style bathroom humor. During a trip to Mexico (which was pointless in the context of the story) one of the "ladies" got montezuma's revenge after having some water get in her mouth during a shower. They went all the way with this hilarious sequence starting with ridiculously loud "upset stomach" sound effects and going all the way through actually having the lady poop in her pants. Then the other "ladies" all laugh hysterically!

*******END OF SPOILER***********

Overall 1 1/2 out of 5 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Lyle Romer
My wife and friends wanted to see this so I went along....
Yeah. Sure. [Wink]

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my girlfriend wants to see this one, she can have fun without me! I hate even doing theater checks for this movie.

Although that may be going overboard, I just hope I don't do it during that one scene Lyle mentioned.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the movie, but here in San Francisco the crowd probably put on a better show.

I'd say 98% of the people at all of the sold-out shows yesterday were women, 2% were men dressed as women (SF, you know!) and 1% were actually men who wound up being there for whatever reason.

The theater is in a very upscale neighborhood which has a large number of bars-per-square-foot on the adjoining blocks and it's obvious that this is where most of the crowd spent their time before coming to watch the movie.

Most of the women coming to see the movie were well behaved, but totally sloshed.

3 of the local TV news stations were camped out in front of the theater to do live shots for their afternoon and early evening newscasts. I don't have to tell you what the presence of TV cameras can do to an already alchohol and estrogen fueled crowd.
Think "throwing gasoline on a fire", if that helps you visualize.

Even though the theater has one of the larger and better women's rest rooms that I've seen (not that I spend a lot of time in women's rest rooms! [Eek!] ) at one point the women just wound up taking over all the stalls in the mens room too. Once it started, we couldn't stop them. They'd just barge right in and.....

There was at least one cat-fight over a seating dispute that we had to get the police to come and break up.

Every show was was sold out. When the show began and the lights would start to dim, the women would let out a high-pitched scream that probably woke dogs in several adjoining states.

I got the 'best one-liner-of-the-evening' award from the staff when after pushing the button that starts the show I quipped: "I've never made so many women scream using just my finger".
(Oh, come on; - it was a long fustrating day and it was very funny at the time)

Today is another day.

The bars open early.

It's too bad I don't drink.....

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though I haven't seen this movie, Auditoriums #1, #7 and #15 were all sold out shows last night. And, the majority of the audience were women. For our 9:55pm show, which started late to get all of the people in, a fight almost broke out due to a seating dispute, but, was quickly ended before things got out of hand.

We also had a local TV News Crew there as well. And, of course, my theatre is in the middle of plenty of Bars and Nightclubs in the Gaslamp Quarter.

So, in essence, I think our crowds put on a pretty neat show since pretty much all of the guests were well behaved and were all smiles.

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 12:43 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
"I've never made so many women scream using just my finger"
That is the best thing I've heard!

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find no joy on wasting 2 hours of my life by watching 40-something year old women be whores and talk about fashion. [sleep]

However, if there was ever to be a Absolutely Fabulous movie, I'd be the first in line. [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-31-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 and-a-half hours. [eyes]

...and Jim, that's the best post I've read here for ages. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-01-2008 12:03 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I'd say 98% of the people at all of the sold-out shows yesterday were women, 2% were men dressed as women (SF, you know!) and 1% were actually men who wound up being there for whatever reason.
So you had a 101% capacity crowd?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-01-2008 01:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So you think you had it bad Jim? Try running this movie on 4-6 auditoriums in a theater with a full bar! Every show interlocked on at least 2 screens. Every show sold out. Every seat had multiple glasses from the bar. There were drunk hens everywhere!

BTW, I had to do some searching over at imdb to figure out who this was. This lady looks like she should be married to E.T. because that neck of hers is creepy long.

-

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 05:56 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We open on Thursday with it, phone has been running hot for the past week with massive group bookings from the local gals, yep , its going to be bigger than Ben Hur . From Brads post I hope the gals don't rock in too drunk, my all time cinema epic puke was created by a drunk woman [puke] and I cleaned It up, amazing the hiding places staff can find in a hurry !

Jaime Tuzzio
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Jaime Tuzzio         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, each and every time I see Cynthia Nixon I still think of her in Amadeus: "I'm frightened! I'm very, very frightened!!"

I'm a big fan of the show and I admit I really liked the movie, though it was too long (I wanted the Fashion Week segment cut the second it started). I'm not thrilled about Carrie's <spoiler> Big Happy Ending </spoiler> but it was all stupid, silly, fun, which is exactly what I expected and wanted.

I built it and screened it, so the presentation was awesome. [Wink] And I didn't have to deal with intoxicated women. Not that night, anyhow.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 10:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
So you had a 101% capacity crowd?
Acually, at one show, I think we did. It's a good thing the fire marshal didn't show up! The sarcastic math in my post was meant to poke fun at the 1% guy who was there.

quote: Brad Miller
Try running this movie on 4-6 auditoriums in a theater with a full bar
OMG! You've topped me there! I'd forgotten there are theaters with liquor licesnces out there.

I am happy to report that all the 'crazy' women here in SF apparantly got "S-A-T-C" out of their systems on opening day.
(at least at the theater I'm at)

The women attending the shows yesterday were all great. Many of them came in groups with their women friends, some were dressed in great outfits, and they all seemed to be having a really good time and enjoying the movie with their friends.

I was even able to turn the volume back down to 'normal' level.

Occasionally we'd find one of 'the guys' who had obviously been dragged into seeing S-A-T-C by their date/wife/other sneaking out and into the other auditorium to watch 'Iron Man'
We didn't try to stop them.
We understood.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this has been one of the busiest (I did not say best) movies that we have had recently. We have it in 5 theaters and its been mostly sold out by women of all ages. Many mothers are bringing their young daughters in to see it and we questioned a few of them, they said that they wanted to introduce their offsprings to the big ladies world.

In the evening shows, many of the women are tipsy and rowdy. They are showing up in their Sunday-go-to-meetings dresses with the high heels. we also have a lot of men dressing up as women coming to the shows. We had a good time watching one guy walk down the corridor to the theater in high heels and stockings with seams. Of course the seams were crooked and he did not shave his legs. Maybe his wife (?) would not understand the shaved legs.

All in all, for me and the rest of the male staff... [puke]

Louis

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2008 11:55 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, while running booth, I would take a peak into the auditoriums and saw like wine bottles, beer cans, mini-wine bottles, even Martini Glasses. I'm amazed there wasn't a big mess (puke-wise). Oh well, people are having a good time and are enjoying the shows. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: