Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

Author Topic: Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2008 09:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mixed bag.

NEGATIVES: Too much full frontal male nudity, too much of Jason Segel crying, too much of the vampire rock opera. It also suffers from the basic underlying premise flaw (similar to Knocked Up) that a Sarah Marshall type girl (like Alison Scott in Knocked Up) would ever have been dating the Peter Bretter character in the first place. The screenplay also seems to wander all over the place.

POSITIVES: It still has the characteristic underlying Apatow sweetness which somehow manages to overcome the negatives.

Not a great flick, but ok. Better than the other date movie choices (Made of Honor, Vegas, Baby Mama)out there right now.

2 Stars Out of 5.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I think I disagree on all your negatives. To each his own, I suppose.

Male frontal nudity -- it's about time there was parity for female nudity. It's not my thing, but it only seems fair, and I didn't think it was overdone (I thought the reprise was also pretty funny). I thought the Dracula Musical was awesome. [Smile]

Anyhow, I enjoyed it, in a fun and farcical comedic way.

--jhawk (doens't believe in stars)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-14-2008 11:44 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the one we've had problems with the digital soundtrack on. I haven't watched it, but it's getting good laughs out of the audience. Unfortunately the audience has been quite small.

I agree there's too much male nudity and not enough female nudity. I suppose it's only fair to give the ladies something to look at once in a while, but there must be better examples around than that guy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-14-2008 08:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audiences here groan whenever those scenes are on...perhaps that's the reaction they were going for.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: