Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » What Happens In Vegas... (2008)

Author Topic: What Happens In Vegas... (2008)
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 07:44 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A playboy (Ashton Kutcher) loses his job. A clingy, neurotic girl (Cameron Diaz) gets dumped by her fiancé. What else is there to do but head to Vegas where the fun rolls freely and there's no such thing as consequences. Until, of course, said playboy marries neuroto-girl in a drunken fit and then the pair accidentally win $3,000,000 on the pokies. An obstinate judge refuses to grant them an immediate divorce, instead "sentencing" them to live together for 6 months to try to work out their differences. Cue a war of the sexes where he acts as repulsively blokey as he can and she acts as uptightly, control-freak girly as she can, each attempting to force the other to move out thereby forfeiting their half of the winnings.

This predictable-as-hell screwball comedy is, well, predictable as hell. It's clear right from the outset that after accosting each other with such venom and zeal, they'll be madly in love before it's all over. The number of laugh-out-loud jokes can be counted on one hand (unless urinating in the kitchen sink over the dirty dishes is funny, in which case there are a lot more) and half of them occur as "deleted scenes" played over the final credits.

Kutcher has all the charisma of a carrot. Kutcher's sidekick, Rob Corddry's, Vince-Vaughnish deadpan delivery results in mostly deadpan comedy. Cameron Diaz's batty neurosis is both tedious and unconvincing. Fortunately Diaz's sidekick, Lake Bell, provides a solitary shining light, making the most of what few good lines there are to be had (including those in the closing credits).

Given the unlikelihood that anybody would view this film with high expectations, the good news is that it is difficult to be disappointed with it.

4 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 09:10 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three words that strike terror in my heart, "Another Romantic Comedy" and worst of all worsts, with Ashton Kutcher, or should I say, Ashton Butcher [Smile] . IMHO, he has absolutely no talent at all and Cameron Diaz is a real twit.
What a waste of film, save a mylar tree, stop making junk like this.

I feel sorry for the single male playing the dating game. He takes his main squeeze to see this chick flick, hoping that he might get lucky after the show, and has to sit through all this drivel.

0 out of 5

Louis

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot of this was used for the last several episodes of the TV show "Las Vegas" before that show was abruptly cancelled by NBC at the end of last March. That should tell all you need to know.

[ 05-09-2008, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan M. Crist ]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheez, what a screw ball of a movie. Ashton Kutcher was obviously not good in this movie. I never did care for his so-called acting. Cameron Diaz, on the other hand, was good enough. Otherwise, what a boring film with so many obvious things that pop out at you.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars - only because of Cameron Diaz being in the film.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the title my co-worker used to lable one of the trailers sums it up best:

"What Happens in Vegas Should Stay There"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2008 02:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ashton Kutcher pretty much sucked as always. Cameron Diaz is losing her touch. This movie is full of blah.

What Happens In Vegas should have STAYED in Vegas!

1 out of 5

(edit - sorry Mike, I hadn't read the reviews before making my post and I just caught your similar comment above.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-11-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me guess... by the end they learn to love each other and they stay married.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: