Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Drillbit Taylor

Author Topic: Drillbit Taylor
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set upon by a pair of bullies on their first day at high school, Wade (Nate Hartley), Ryan (Troy Gentile) and Emmit (David Dorfman) hold auditions of (alleged) security personnel for the position of a stand-over man to duly beat their tormentors to a fine pulp. They settle on self-proclaimed military badass, Drillbit Taylor (Owen Wilson), not realising that he is, in fact, an opportunistic homeless shyster.

One has to wonder at what point Owen Wilson became attached to this project and whether his titular character was the original focus of the story, for while Wilson provides the star power here, his character is the least interesting aspect of the film and the movie takes a distinct dive whenever he is on screen. The charm of the picture, however, is in the three kids, particularly Nate Hartley whose geek-with-a-subtle-defiant-streak grounds the trio in a reality which completely evades Wilson's character. If Wilson's role were reduced to a perfunctory part (and the title changed) then this would be quite a charming little comedy.

Co-written by Seth Rogen, the similarities to his previous Superbad are obvious (a little too much so, in fact), especially in the three juvenile leads who bear strong physical resemblances and personality traits to their counterparts in that film. The similarities are so prevalent, in fact, that Drillbit Taylor could almost be seen as a prequel to Superbad. The film combines elements from the classics, namely Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Risky Business, Revenge Of The Nerds and, most notably, My Bodyguard. In a clear nod to the latter film, Adam Baldwin riffs on his debut feature film role delivering a chuckle-worthy cameo as one of the prospective bodyguard applicants.

Drillbit Taylor is a small, promising comic charmer unfortunately steamrolled by gratuitous star power.

6.5 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike Stu I really liked the fact that it was a PG13 version of Superbad, and I also think Wilson was great in this role. He didn't detract from from the film at all. The kids were perfectly cast, and the comedy was just right.

I give this a sold 4/5 [thumbsup]

Drillbit Taylor
aka. Dr.Illbit
aka. Alamo Taylor
aka. Bob Taylor

P.S. Always remember the Army says "have it your way"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a solid 20 minutes of this when the kids first hire Drillbit and are getting their training. I did not laugh once. Not one time. I did not even crack a grin. Likewise the other 5 people in the auditorium did not laugh at all (although that guy in the back farted once which made us laugh).

Owen Wilson is also amazingly annoying. I can't stand to listen to that whining coming out of his mouth every time he talks and that nose, I just want to grab it and bend it out of whack a little bit more.

1/2 stars out of 5 for what I could stand to watch. 1/2 star of that being credited to the fart.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-23-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Owen Wilson recently fail at killing himself? I bet he became depressed when he realized that he was OWEN WILSON.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2008 10:30 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody else noticed that, given the right lighting conditions, Owen Wilson's noise looks like a penis?

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another TURD. When will the suits on the left coast realize what they are doing to a fine industry.

Owen Wilson is most annoying, I did not like him before he tried to kill himself and I like him less now.
Out of a possible 10 on the TURD-O-METER, I give this one a solid 10 [Smile]

Louis

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-28-2008 10:42 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only 10 it will ever get too. [Wink]

This is rated PG here. IMO it should have been M as there's too much bad stuff in it to show to an under 12.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I watched a solid 20 minutes of this
Yea, I only made it through the 1st 20 minutes too during one of my screenings on opening day. I tried to stay longer, but I figured I could make better use of my time peeling old pieces of splicing tape off the bottom of the rewind bench or something more productive.

UPDATE: The theater I'm at finally dumped this bomb last week.
In the final 4 days of showings, a total of about 5 people came to see it. I threaded up the projector on Tuesday, and didn't actually run the film until Thursday afternoon- - because NOBODY (ZERO!!) showed up for to see it for two solid days . That's a total of about 9 scheduled showings. And this is in a major city. I can't remember having any other film where we went for two solid days without at least one person showing up for at least one show on a given day.

[ 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Jim Cassedy ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: