Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Horton Hears A Who (2008)

Author Topic: Horton Hears A Who (2008)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2008 03:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into this movie dreading it, because I HATED the Cat in the Hat and the Grinch, but I found myself laughing at a number of scenes here. Needless to say it was surprisingly good for what it was.

And whatever that yellow fluffy ball guy was, he was quite entertaining in a very random sort of way.

Kudos to the end credit music too. Good stuff!

3 out of 5

|  IP: Logged

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 10:17 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took my daughter to see this yesterday. I enjoyed it but thought that it was a little too long. I was told by a friend that some pro-life activists have been protesting this film because they feel that the message of "everyone is a person no matter how small they are" is objectionable. Now not to tread into the banned waters of political discussion... I think that it's a big big reach I in no way would have ever thought to make that connection on this film.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pro-life movement has actually embraced that slogan, and the protest was designed to suggest the movie is their own message. Apparently Theodore Geisel once threatened to sue a pro-life group that was using that slogan on their stationery.

I found an article that I'd post in Yak if it wouldn't be thought too provocative.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-16-2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the movie, but like all Dr. Seuss movies made from short books, it feels stretched. I got a little tired of Jim Carrey's dialogue, like when things are awful he's still making jokes.

I also thought there should have been some connection to the Grinch movie. I mean the location name is the same. So they could have mentioned Mount Crumpet, or the mayor's name could have been the same, etc. I realize this might have made the movie unfaithful to the book, which I've never read.

Those complaints aside, the movie was a lot of fun to watch and the fast-paced humor will invite repeat viewings. The animation I thought was excellent - especially the water scenes - and I thought it had a good sound mix.

The added attraction of the Ice Age trailer was a high point too.

As expected, we've had a ton of little pre-5-year-olds to this show and it's appearing to hold their interest, so that's good...just makes for pandemonium in the lobby.

Overall, 3 out of 5 stars from me.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 04:31 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sucked, Can't really think of anything else to say about how bad it sucked.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 05:19 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A apologize I meant to say that Pro-Choice groups were protesting it. I apologize.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Sean, you were right the first time, it WAS Pro-Lifers protesting, not against the movie, but for it, as though it is expressing their message.

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2008 04:35 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I liked the yellow fluffy ball animal too. I find myself stopping and watching for a while while doing the rounds, hoping to see it.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What bits and pieces I saw of it were good. My 7 year old and 5 year old thought it was fantastic. Movies like this are perfect for the drive-in crowd. After two dismall weekends in a row, Horton brought the family crowds back to the drive-in.... and they ate good too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After playing this for 2 weeks, I can now say that I totally HATE the tacked-on, completely inappropriate and stupid ending with Jim Carrey singing "I Can't Fight This Feeling," a song that was lame in the 1980s and is still lame.

This is the kind of thing that makes the Pixar movies so much better. They know not to do idiotic stuff like this.

I still liked the movie overall though and it's held up really well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: