Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » "CJ-7"

Author Topic: "CJ-7"
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot of Stephen Chow's latest movie could be described simply as "young boy befriends space alien" or "A Chinese ET", but that would be vastly over simplifiying things.

I ran this movie a couple of weeks ago for a private press screening but was too busy projecting-my-buttoff to really enjoy it, so I went back to the theater today to watch it with a friend.

This entertaining film works on so many levels. It alternates between slapstic comedy and pathos. At times I was laughing my head off, and other scenes had me close to tears. But everything works out and there is a happy ending, made even more upbeat by a catchy disco-beat cover verison of the 1970's hit tune "Sunny", performed by Bony M. during the closinig credits. (Shoot! Now I've got another ear-worm!)
The Tiwanese teen girl group S.H.E. sings the catchy music under the opening credits.

The little space alien CGI creature is cute and given a well animated personality so that you just almost can't help liking the little whatever-it-is.

I got into the theater for free, but I would have gladly paid full price to see this movie. (Which is ususally how I judge how well I personally like a movie.)

I found it to be a fun film.

"CJ-7" (English Title)
"Cheung gong 7 hou" (Mandrin Title)
In Mandrin & Some Cantonese, with English Subtitles
Sony Classic Pictures
89min SCOPE

SURPRISE- BUT NOT EXACTLY A SPOILER
As I was reading the credits at the end of the film, I realized that the little boy who is the one of the main characters and appears on screen in almost every scene of the movie was actually played by a young girl. (A fact later confirmed on IMDB) I never suspected this once during the movie.

( Edited 3/14 -To Correct Names Of The Singing Goups Which I Had Inadvertantly Swapped)

[ 03-14-2008, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Jim Cassedy ]

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2008 08:31 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the sequal to CB4 ?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Chad-
"CJ7" and "CB4" are not related in any way,
other than having vaguely similar titles.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: