Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 27 Dresses

Author Topic: 27 Dresses
Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 03:37 AM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, a guy seeing a chick flick? Yes, and unabashedly so. I saw it with my fiance, and even though this is pretty standard
fare for a chick flick, there were some things worth noting:

Katherine Heigl herself is a dream to look at.

The scenery as well as the colors and the general decorum of the movie were really nice.

James Marsden will always have that same dopey look on his face, no matter what movie he's in.

I found the score for the movie rather cheesy after initially hearing it, but after hearing it repeatedly from the booth, I'm actually beginning to like it.

The guy who played the minister at the end creeped me out, and I really don't know why.

I love the style of the credits, but not when everybody decides to stay and watch all of it after every showing.

Even though I was not part of this movie's intended target demographic, I actually enjoyed it. Its predictable, and in no way advances the genre, but there's worse things to watch on a weekday evening.

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2008 08:22 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this last night. AMC Aventura Mall 24, Screen 10, probably SDDS.
Film: B
Picture: B-
Sound: B

I know it's a chick flick, but I wanted to see something bright and colorful, shot anamorphic,[rant] and not using the "edgy", "yeah we had such a low budget on this film (only something upwards of 30 million) yet we were still able to get a DI because it's so cool", almost monochrome or overly beige look that seems to be in style for just about everything lately.[/rant]

(This is the first time I have ever called a theater from the ticket line to make sure the movie was playing on film. There's only one theater back home that has DLP and I stopped going there before they got it.)

It was a fun, frothy, romantic romp. Not winning any oscars here, and not trying. That doesn't mean it's bad. Seeing this I was reminded of one of the reasons I enjoy going to see comedies: Being in a theater with a crowd of people who are laughing at the same things I am. (It beats the time I saw Dick and wound up being the youngest of about six people in an almost-full 100-seat theater cracking up when the girl started recording on the tape in the oval office. Everyone else in my group were looking around like, "What the hell are those weirdos laughing at?")

The one thing that put me off was the obligatory sex scene. Mainly because it just felt obligatory to me. [Roll Eyes] I know this makes me weird, I have my reasons, but I'm not really up to a discussion of them right now. If it weren't for that I would give this film an A-.

Now for the presentation: Print was in decent shape, a little dirt here and there, but I guess that's OK for a print that's been running 6 weeks (I've seen much worse on films that had only been showing for a few days, which is why I don't go to Regal-owned theaters anymore). The curved screen was a big detractor. Common-width is also a detractor for me. The sound... this was the first time I've seen a film with digital sound since ROTS...(actually the last film I saw at a Regal) the last 3 or 4 films I've seen were all at Newark Cinema Center 3, which runs everything in Mono (small houses) or L-C-R (large house); or Cinemark Movies 10 in Newport (Ultra*Stereo in all but the largest 2 theaters). In terms of clarity it was actually worse or about the same, but it was interesting to hear it in 6-channel, even though this is not the type of film one typically associates with a kick-ass soundtrack... little things like the crowds at the weddings.

So the dirt, the curved screen and the less-than-optimal sound quality are all that kept this presentation from an A grade.

[ot]Not nearly as nice was the 3 hours it took to get home after (waiting alongside Biscayne Blvd at 1AM=not for the faint of heart, someone honked and yelled, "Jackass!" I yelled back, "Yes you are, but you shouldn't really advertise it!"...[rabbit trail]"...and you, madam, are ugly. But when I wake up, I will be sober."[/rabbit trail])[/ot]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: