Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fool's Gold (2008)

Author Topic: Fool's Gold (2008)
Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screenwriters here seem to have thrown in everything but the discarded kitchen sink from my last home remodel. It doesn't help that there is zero chemistry between the stars.

1 1/2 stars out of 5.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 12:35 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen a movie this bad in quite some time. You can tell everyone involved was trying really really hard to be funny, and failing miserably.

I don't quite see how movies like this get made. Sitting through them for 2 hours is painful enough. I can't imagine anyone dedicating a year of their life to creating one.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But both of you have the wrong hormones to enable you to appreciate this cinematic masterpiece. [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's deeper than that. I can see that being true of something like the Hannah Montana concert, which is a fairly well-made movie about a subject I have no interest in. Or something like RAMBO, which is incredibly simple-minded, but does what it's trying to do effectively. At least you can count those as movies.

FOOL'S GOLD is not a movie. It's something else. I don't know what word would be used to describe it, but I'm sure it's four letters long.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2008 05:13 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm an idiot. I laughed pretty much through out this movie, was it dumb and contrived? Yes! I think this is one of those movies that really has to do with the audience you watch it with. I watched it in a full house and the crowd loved it. That has a lot to do with my enjoyment I think. If I watched this on TV I probably wouldn't laugh even half as much. You want to talk about a waste of film, The Hottie and the Nottie is a waste of film!!!

2.4/5 [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2008 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the boat sinking part at the beginning was pretty funny but after that it was completely predictable. Pretty good underwater cinematography though.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2008 09:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing this right now just because there's nothing else worth playing at the moment.

I agree with most of the comments here. It has a dumb story and was badly acted. It also seems to go on forever. They should have at least gotten a leading lady that looks good in a bikini. Kate Hudson hasn't been in a really good movie since "Almost Famous." She should stop trying to be Goldie Hawn, she'll never make it. She gets a couple of props though for her underwater scenes - that had to be a chore to shoot.

The best thing about the movie, as Mark said, is the underwater shots. Some very good images there, except we got a print that has the worst scratches of any print we've played in at least 10 years or more. This may have contributed to my dislike of the movie.

1.5 out of 5 stars from me. One star added for the quick 'flash' by the girl on the boat. They should have featured more of her.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you're right about Kate Hudson not doing good movies since ALMOST FAMOUS. DR. T AND THE WOMEN came out a month later, and that was awesome. But since then, she has not made a single movie of any significance. What's up with that?

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2008 10:41 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have seen worse , It was ok for something simple to pass the time , and filmed in John Wilson's back yard off the East coast of Australia.

2 out of 5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: