Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rambo (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Rambo (2008)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2008 06:54 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took the chance to watch this tonight as it was the only time it was going to be shown in the Capri. Seeing Rambo on a 70/30' screen with over 30,000 watts of sound. Couldn't pass it up.

I liked Rocky last year, thought Sly went back to the basics of what made the first ones great, He hit the nail on the head again with this one.

John Rambo is a snake wrangling bad ass in the Thiland jungle. I didn't see so much as a BowFlex in his Jungle pad, but he looks like hes been working out non stop since we last saw him 20 years ago.

Everyone was saying how in Cloverfield thats how guns were supposed to sound in the movies. Sorry the M16s in Cloverfield have nothing on the 50cal sniper rifle and every other weapon in this movie. I've been next to 50 cal machine guns when they've been fired and I've fired them before. This is the closest thing I've ever heard. After the last 20 minutes of the movie my ears were ringing from the bombardment my ears took.

I really liked this one and think it will do really well with the 18-30 age group. Way to go Sly!!!

4/5 [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-25-2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
John Rambo is a snake wrangling bad ass in the Thiland jungle. I didn't see so much as a BowFlex in his Jungle pad, but he looks like hes been working out non stop since we last saw him 20 years ago.

Amazing what steroids can do...This movie rocked!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats how guns were supposed to sound in the movies
Not to go to far off topic but in "The African Queen" when they are firing at the boat from Fort Shona made my skin crawl. I was on R&R from Vietnam when I saw the reissue. Rambo is definately a must see for me.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie better rock. It is one of those extremely rare movies to get an "R" rating these days (gotta pull in the teenies). I have seen absolutely no promotion for this movie anywhere.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-25-2008 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not even advertised on the IMDB. Rocky Balboa got better promotion.

I wonder if Cloverfield will beat this out for #1 this week.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-25-2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I have seen absolutely no promotion for this movie anywhere.
I've seen lots of commercials for Rambo on Comedy Central. Not sure if there's anything to read into with that.

Everyone was saying how in Cloverfield thats how guns were supposed to sound in the movies. Sorry the M16s in Cloverfield have nothing on the 50cal sniper rifle and every other weapon in this movie.
Are you just comparing loudness?

Most gunfire sound effects are noticeably different from how the same gun sounds when fired in real life. Even well recorded gunshot sounds are often altered and overlayed with other effects. This is especially true for handgun sound effects. Real handgun fire sounds very different from movie handgun fire. Even the sound effects of suppressors in movies are different from how they sound when fired in person.

If you're into gunfire sound effects that will make your ears ring and feel filled with cotton, try firing a SigSauer P226 chambered in .357 Sig without any hearing protection. Fire just one shot and you'll be reaching for those goofy looking ear muffs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-25-2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Awesome! We need more violence in our movies. Enough with this pansie-assed PG-13 nonsense. R-rated movies for the win!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2008 11:38 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the stat that 2.59 people were killed per minute. I have a hard time believeing the stat of only 236 people being killed. I think it was a lot higher then that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-26-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AWESOME! I can't wait to rent this on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-26-2008 01:59 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra blood-and-guts violence. Appendages severed, heads sliced in half/blown off, bodies bisected, big-ass shells turning flesh to pulp... 'bout time some solid entertainment hit the screen again! [Razz]

Seriously, although shallow, the Rambo character did evoke empathy.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2008 02:42 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing what it clearly intends to do:
10/10
Doing it with loads of loud guns and spectacular body hits:
10/10
Visceral "wow, did you see THAT?!" factor:
10/10
Academy Award material criteria:
1/10

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-26-2008 09:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle Anderson
Academy Award material criteria: 1/10
So you're saying it has a chance? Awesome! [Big Grin]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rambo III" was released in 1988. Since this is entitled simply "Rambo," shouldn't it be a prequel? [Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-26-2008 12:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if time travel is written into the story.

Apparently Rambo wasn't shooting anybody while shirtless this time. Probably a good thing. The recoil from automatic weapons would likely make Rambo's old sagging man tits jiggle in a not very visually pleasing way.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The recoil from automatic weapons would likely make Rambo's old sagging man tits jiggle in a not very visually pleasing way. "

You didn't see Rocky Balboa, did you?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: