Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » There Will Be Blood (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: There Will Be Blood
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short Synopsis: CITIZEN KANE in the oil business

What was good: Incredible overpowering performance by Daniel Day Lewis. Paul Dano is equally as good as his Christian nemesis, and he should have received Oscar recognition. Musical score is unique and very, very good. Cinematography is also very fine.

What was not good: The film slows down in the middle, with some scenes that could easily have been cut.

Academic rating: B+ Worth seeing, but not the best you will see this year.

Comments: Plainview is one mean old guy!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-01-2008 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a hard time sitting through this. The story isn't bad, the acting is superb, but man is the film SSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!
I checked my watch more times then there were reels! An hour could have easily been cut out. There is literally no dialog in the entire first reel of the film.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 03:17 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Thomas Anderson movies are so few and far between that when one comes out, it's a big deal. For that reason, I'm disappointed with THERE WILL BE BLOOD. It's an awesome movie, but it's supposed to be better. I feel like he's abandoned what makes him spectacular in favor of something a bit safer.

You always hear about filmmakers like Spielberg and Coppola, and how their movies get worse as they get older. It seems like we're witnessing the start of that with PTA. And that makes me really sad.

But still, the writing and acting in THERE WILL BE BLOOD are leaps and bounds above anything else that came out in 2007, and the film is certainly one of the year's best.

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like something Terrence Malick could have directed (e.g. Days of Heaven).

Carl James Valentine
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2008 02:07 AM      Profile for Carl James Valentine   Email Carl James Valentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, I think they should have titled this movie "There Will Be
Refunds". Almost every patron I've talked to after they saw this didn't like it at all. It brings in the older crowd, but its been the worst performer in the past two weeks.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 12:33 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. It seems to be doing decently here. I guess it really depends on what kinds of crowds you normally get. If you cater more to the younger crowd then it's quite obvious it won't do as well.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting with an unassuming title card and without fanfare, in an Old English typeface, white on black and silent like the films at the turn of the 19th century in which this story takes place, the title appears: "There Will Be Blood". Cut to a figure beavering away with spartan hand tools and volatile explosives in the darkness of a hand-dug mineshaft, hoisting bucket after bucket of worthless rubble to the surface, in the vain hope of stumbling across a lode of precious metal. Paul Thomas Anderson's long awaited follow up to the excellent and unconventionally sublime Punch Drunk love is a loving ballad to the perilous hardships of early prospecting. The detail is superb and feels so authentic that the audience remains enraptured despite the passing of a good 15 minutes before the first line of dialogue is spoken.

The lonely prospector, who we learn is Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis), eventually strikes gold of the black variety and thus begins his oil empire and his subsequent vampirism of the small villages who possess it. One of the inhabitants of such a village is Eli Sunday (Paul Dano with a sensible haircut for a change), an evangelical small town preacher who will lock horns with the atheistic and capitalist Plainview; a power struggle made all the more intriguing for it's apparent triviality.

Anderson's fascinating portrait of the early American oil industry culminates in the splendid mid-film burning derrick sequence. It's a significant event for both Eli and Plainview: for Eli it's an allegory for Plainview's unleashing the fires of hell and for Plainview it's a symbol of his all-consuming ambition. It's a telling moment for Plainview, captivated by the burning structure, displaying little concern for his son seriously injured in the explosion. When asked if his son is okay, he simply and vaguely responds, "No, he isn't." It's a great moment which lays the foundations for the remainder of the film and sets the tone for what is to come........well, at least we'd like to think so but sadly that is not the case.

From the midpoint on, the film appears to come apart at the seams in parallel to Day-lewis' character. Plainview begins the film as a rising oil baron with barely (but tightly) restrained megalomania but following the burning derrick sequence his madness is suddenly and inexplicably released, winding up a caricature of a cartoon villain replete with an uncharacteristic dose of violent psychosis. Astute businessmen (such as Plainview is) simply don't lose their minds at the smallest provocation; after all, if he were really that volatile, he surely would not have achieved his success. This instantaneous degradation of character doesn't make sense and it gives the appearance of a script having great chunks missing. Additionally, the most interesting counterpoints to Plainview, his son and Eli, vanish almost completely from the second half of the film to be replaced by a superfluous subplot involving the mysterious arrival of his brother. The script seems to be following too many plot strands making the film weaker as a whole.

Much praise has been lavished upon Day lewis' performance and it's half worth it. In the beginning his performance is precise, measured and compelling but in the second half of the film his acting becomes hammy and over the top. It's practically vaudeville and we half expect him to start twirling his moustache as he hatches a fiendish plan. Dano, however, is consistently excellent. Who would have thought, that after his roles in Fast Food Nation and Little Miss Sunshine he could have achieved so much given the chance? Obviously Anderson did.

There Will Be Blood (which is a terrible title, by the way) is a Jekyll and Hyde film, starting as an astonishingly accurate portrait of gold rush pioneers and ending as a disappointing comic farce. To be so consumed by a film, only to have it ebb away is a frustrating experience to say the least.

7 out of 10

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-11-2008 07:43 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to smile when he broke (at the beginning) his 'Left Foot'.

[Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-11-2008 11:03 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorate line:

"I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!" SLLLLUUUUURURRRP

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-11-2008 12:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't watch this. Surely I am not the only person who thinks Daniel Day-Lewis overacts in every movie he is in. It is highly distracting. The few minutes I saw of this movie were no different.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Surely I am not the only person who thinks Daniel Day-Lewis overacts in every movie he is in.
I agree Brad.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much of a Day-Lewis aficionado personally. The only other film I've seen him in is the mediocre Gangs Of New York and I don't remember much about him in that. I think the first half of Blood shows that he is capable of greatness but in the second half it looks like he's taking the piss.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can anyone be an aficionado of someone having sampled only two out of a couple dozen examples of a man's work?

Suggestion: Watch "My Left Foot" (1989) or "In The Name Of The Father" (1993) and then reevaluate your opinion.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 12:28 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
How can anyone be an aficionado of someone having sampled only two out of a couple dozen examples of a man's work?
You can't, that's my point.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2008 01:17 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you're repeating my point.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: