Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cloverfield (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Cloverfield (2008)
Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 12:21 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those concerned with spoilers, I'm staying away from those completely.

I caught this at a promo screening the studio did at our theatre. (Ironic, since it's a Marcus we won't be carrying the film, yet they rent out an UltraScreen to generate hype in the area.)

First of all: this movie isn't for everyone, and it had to be advertised in the hype-generating way in which it was in order to really work as an experience that sucks you in. I can see some will feel a bit let down by the ending, however I believe that it had a strong enough effect on me that a standard ending would've almost felt wrong. I haven't found myself this tense throughout an entire movie in a long, long time. Say what you will about the concept or storyline, this is a very short movie (under 90min) that really keeps things moving along at a great pace, I can't imagine someone watching this (without spoilers) who finds themselves completely disinterested. Yes, it's shaky handycam-style cinematography (if you can call it that)... however for a change I believe it was effective and well-done. If this was shot like your standard action/thriller, it would've detached us from the characters and killed most of the excitement. If this type of camera work bothers you, avoid very large screens. However even the Ultra wasn't too bad, considering it wasn't at its full 72 foot wide size (flat format). Also, an auditorium with a great sound system is a must for this one. Our Ultra's 12 subs were really moving some air.

Highly recommended! This is one of those "experience" movies that might not work with repeat viewings, however the first is a great one. It brings a brand new perspective to the "giant monster" genre, and it's an effective one.

[ 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Mark Strube ]

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers? What spoilers? Did I miss something because there was no big twist ending that I saw.

I just saw this tonight. Good idea on the perspective of an attack, but I didn't give a crap about the characters. At all. Not one bit. And break out the barf bags if your tummy didn't like The Blair Witch Project, this one will give you the same feeling

Can I please see a horror/sci-fi/monster movie without a love story in it? EDIT: or a love rescue in it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-18-2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Overall this is a pretty cool monster type movie with effects that set a new standard. The monster and his slimy little pals in this film make Godzilla look like a wuss. A few redislous aspects thrown in the plot and Grainy/shaky image for sure but very appropriate to the effect of the film this time around. Had it looked more "Hollywoodish" it would not be nearly as effective. If you like monster type flicks this film will hold your attention. The uncmpressed digital sound track on the D-Cinema version has to be heard to be believed, absolutely astounding!!! If played back at the correct level and after this movie's run is over technicians will be sweeping up the mess left of what was the B chain. This film should have featured the return of Sensurround [thumbsup] . Like "The Thing" and "Alien" and several other similar films Cloverfield will certainly go on to become a classic monster flick....

Mark

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 02:39 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, the first battle scene (also what's shown in the trailers) had me thinking, THANK GOD - a movie that FINALLY does sonic justice to the loudness of firearms... those M-16s were (and are) LOUD.

These types of films are always interesting to me; exploring the true depths of depravity (and stupidity) our emotions can take us to when under extreme stress - we'd all like to think we'd perform better, yet the wounded lion mentality rears its head again and again.

Oh and the effects were stellar... A+

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-19-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Four of the first five Topics here have a current thread about CLOVERFIELD, which I think is a record. If it was on an Imax screen it would have been in all five. I think it's doing its job.

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love movies, all kinds of movies, but all I could think of the whole dam movie was, Blair Witch, Blair Witch, Blair Witch, am I actually sitting here watching Blair Witch all over again. The actual run time on this movie minus the credits and the trailers was a mere 70 minutes!

As a professional photographer, I think the shaky cam think, is good if you use it sparingly, but not for the whole dam movie. I felt like this movie could have been so much more than what it ended up to be. It was a Cheap made movie that was not that good.

In my opinion, its a one week wonder and then its over. It will have very little HBO appeal after the initial run. It, like the Blair Witch, will go into the vault and never be seen again! What a waste of time! Did I say I have an opinion on these kinds of movies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-19-2008 08:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Being the world's biggest hater of the shaky/epileptic/Paul Dumbshit Greengrass cam, I will state that I thought it worked in this movie. This is the first time I have EVER seen this effect work, and it works only because of the storyline. Had that not been there, it wouldn't have been as believable.

That being said, I went into this movie not wanting to see it because of all the hype, but decided that since I knew it was only an hour and ten minutes long that I could sit through this "tv show" just so I would be able to understand what people were talking about in conversations of upcoming weeks. I did enjoy it though. Is this a great movie? No. It this a movie I am dying to see again? No. I may not even ever watch it again. Was I glad I saw it? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes. Were there unbelievable or stupid things in it? Yes, but sometimes you just have to let it go.

That being said, I didn't know videocameras had night vision these days, but a friend watching the movie with me swore he had a friend that had that feature, so until Joe comes in here to verify, I'll just assume that some videocameras now have night vision. Regardless, I do want to know what make and model videocamera that was, because I've never seen a camera microphone do such a phenomenal job of capturing discrete 5.1 audio!!!

3.5 out of 5

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-19-2008 09:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this movie (yet), but wanted to comment on a couple of things.

quote: Steve Wilson
As a professional photographer, I think the shaky cam think, is good if you use it sparingly, but not for the whole dam movie.
With the premise of this story it makes sense. Isn't all of the movie's footage just from a consumer video camera these average people were using?

Only professional videographers are going to be pimping a broadcast quality camera on a Steadicam EFP. Average people aren't going to be using anything that makes their footage really smooth. I don't know too many other people in my town who would even bother enabling optical image stabilization or using a tripod.

quote: Brad Miller
That being said, I didn't know videocameras had night vision these days
Some consumer level video cameras do support infrared modes. I don't know which ones have a built in infrared lamp, but some outboard IR lamps are available as accessories for certain camcorder product lines. Sony has a HVLIRM Night Vision Video Light ($130) that works with three of their Handicam video cameras.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed if this had been done in typical smooth Hollywood style the film wouldn't have worked nearly as well...

Possible Spoiler but important tip below !!

Did anyone notice at the end video shot at Cony Island the thing landing in the water way in the background and to the left of the motorboat... indeed that answers the question where the monster came from!!

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
That being said, I didn't know videocameras had night vision these days, but a friend watching the movie with me swore he had a friend that had that feature, so until Joe comes in here to verify, I'll just assume that some videocameras now have night vision.
I have an older Hi8 Sony Handycam bought in 1999 which has an IR night vision mode. My newer HDV Handycam (HDR-HC3) also has this feature. Also, I know you were joking, however I do believe there are some consumer cameras that record the audio in 5.1. Now it's an approximate mix of course, but it might be fun to play with.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 10:58 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously only the video was shot with the handheld... everything else was either post-production or with a mike team on the set [Razz]

I own a camera with "nightvision" on it (several years old) - though it's really not IR, it's just digitally boosted low-light detection. The tech isn't exactly new, though.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2008 12:12 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Both of mine are IR. (There's literally an emitter to the side of the lens that will cut your night vision if you place your hand in front of it.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-20-2008 12:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: B. Miller
night vision, etc etc
Yeah. I shot a video called, umm, "Night Vision" quite some time ago. It was probably only a few months before you moved to Colorado. I had to use my uncle's Hi8 camcorder since only pussy-ass handycams aimed at the lowest level of the market have such gimmicks.

quote: Brad Milla
Regardless, I do want to know what make and model videocamera that was, because I've never seen a camera microphone do such a phenomenal job of capturing discrete 5.1 audio!!!
All camcorders can do this. It's what makes this movie so believable! Anyway I haven't seen this movie yet... does it have a shot where they waste 10 minutes panning up and down on some asshole's chest hair? That's what made Blair Witch so friggin' awesome and loved by everyone.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early matinee today at the Regal 15 in Eugene, #15, NEC 2K DLP. They didn't bother to turn on the preshow projector until the last minute of the preshow, so we got to watch the bulb warm up on the Regal logo. The previews and feature on the NEC looked & sounded very good (on a silver screen).

I liked the movie a lot. Very well done, suspenseful, etc. I can absolutely believe some subs will be blown by the seat-rattling soundtrack. [thumbsup] 3.5 out of 5.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly I really liked this; I give it 8/10. Having heard about the shaky cam beforehand I thought for sure it would wreck the movie, but this probably is the one movie where it works well! I'm looking forward to seeing this again, definitely recommended if you like monster movies. As has been noted, the subs do indeed get a serious workout, there were some chairs and ceiling tiles rattling; overall amazing sound mix. I also really enjoyed the music during the ending credits (“ROAR! (Cloverfield Overture)”...can't seem to find the soundtrack though, as that's pretty much the only music in the movie I guess they aren't releasing one? drat! ). Saw this in cinema 11 at AMC's Tysons Corner 16, picture and sound were excellent in this fairly large 500 seat room.

[ 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Tom Mundell ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: