Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Aliens vs. Predator 2: Requiem (2007)

Author Topic: Aliens vs. Predator 2: Requiem (2007)
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What can I say? This movie kicked some serious butt. [evil] This movie is certainly a lot better than the first AVP, with much more gore and violence. Of course, they could have done without some of the drama and fight scenes and focused more on the two main characters, the Aliens and the Predator, which is prominent in the movie. Overall, the Special Effects and Sound Effects were great. I especially liked the Alien/Predator half-breed.

My overall rating is: 4.75 Stars out of 5 Stars.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien/Predator Half-breed?
Alien/predator sex...fascinating.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, Have you seen the first AVP? It explains how you get the half-breed. This film was awsome, we watched it in the CineCapri last night. 30,000 watts + of dolby digital and a hell'va lot of bass really kicks ass. My shoes were shaking like crazy. I loved how the half breed was just a pure death machine.

Nothing like seeing a Alien baby ripping out of a kids chest.

4/5 [thumbsup] for this death trap

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2007 11:09 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Full Disclosure Time-
No, I didn't see the first one.
I do have the T-shirt promoting AVP when it came out 3 years (?) ago. The date is on the back of the shirt and I'm wearing it now.
(The theatre company I work for had a program where the employees were outfitted in T-shirts supplied by the distributors. I still wear them as undershirts. I have not bought a t-shirt in years.)
I better watch the first AVP, then...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to watch the first one but this film takes place exactly after the first one. So its just one big movie, which is something I really liked. Now if the first one would of been R it would of been much better. But its still worth watching just for the Predator's.

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2007 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of disappointed in the run time of less than 90 minutes, I figured it wouldnt be any good, however, I am glad to hear your reviews as being positive. AvP 1 could have been so much better had they not tried to make a PG 13 out of an R rated franchise.

It bedevils me why they didnt take AvP1 and make an R rated DVD editors cut of a film that could have been so much more, had it shown some blood and guts action of the monsters. Monsters that are hardly visible in the first movie. The first Story was really good, it only had a bad editor which tried to temper it for children, which did not work in my humble opinion.

I am going to see it today.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
print checked this just today, really enjoyed this film and HAVE to see it again and invite some mates along for the ride.

4/5 does the trick! special effects were superb and those aliens looked very slinky indeed. Never really liked the obvious 'man-shaped' predator, but seeing them go head to head PROPERLY this time was a treat to behold.

very good fun to watch, with some decent believable acting thrown in for good measure... oh and lots of acid and blood.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what annoys me the most is that after the last film was released there was a lot of hoopla about the lack of gore and offensive language, to the degree that the studio agreed to make another film with those elements restored. The things is that violence and profanity are not what made the original franchises great, they were well written, well directed and well acted, this film is none of the above.

Perhaps if those of us that were hoping for something that more closely resembled Alien and Predator yell loud enough for the next film we might get some semblance of a plot and maybe some interesting characters, burying a concept with so much potential inside a boring slasher movie was a cop out.

The days Newt and Ripley are well and truly over and I am lamenting their passing.

1 out of 5 stars...

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 05:14 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree about missing the days of Aliens (and Alien, for that matter) but when going into the print check for this film, I tried to forget all the films that preceded this one. I aimed to judge it on its own merits alone, and not on its 'family history'. As a standalone film its a typical 'beer and a curry' flick which doesnt require LOTS of thinking or attention, but the overall effect is well done.

I do miss those olden days though. Think ill go home and watch some of those.....

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really see why any of you think this is any good. basically it's just a teen slasher movie with Alien and Predators thrown in. At five reels it was still too long.
Totally predicable plot, soap style acting, and average special effects.
Sorry guys I give this 1.5 out of 5.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 01-28-2008 08:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Wilson
I was kind of disappointed in the run time of less than 90 minutes
All of the best drive-in, horror, and camp movies are less than 90 mins. [Wink]

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its a curry and a beer film. pure entertainment. alot of us didnt go in looking for top notch acting or anything. its a no-brainer film. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: