Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)

Author Topic: National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm in the minority here about liking the first one. I liked the story and I liked the way it was told. Nic Cage maynot be the best actor in the world but this is one of those roles that he was ment for. It just fits him right along with a solid cast returning for the sequel.

I had high hopes for Book of Secrets and to be honest I wasn't dissapointed at all. I had a good time for two hours, had some laughs. Saw some great set pieces and a decent car chase on the streets of London.

I would recommend this to anyone that asked me at boxoffice if they wern't sure what to see with the family.

A solid 3.75/5 [thumbsup] from me on this one.

Go check it out

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is going to make a LOT of money.

This is a movie to just sit back and let it happen, but whatever you do, don't start thinking about how totally implausible and ridiculous it is! I liked it better than the first one, with very nice performances by the entire cast...in fact, the sincere acting is the only thing that makes this movie work. Nice to see Helen Mirren in an action role, and Diane Kruger looks MIGHTY good.

And, we are well prepared for the sequel...on page 47.

I saw this in a new Marcus Ultrascreen room in Pickerington, OH...a far eastern suburb of Columbus, OH. My highest compliments to the Marcus technical staff for building one of the finest sounding rooms I have ever heard. Due to location, I've mostly been in AMC rooms lately, and I had forgotten what a really good sounding theatre sounds like. I heard near-perfect sound with a sub-bass system that sounded integrated with the rest of the speakers, not just like an added-on afterthought. This rooms sounds much better than the local AMC IMAX room. In fact, it was so good, you could hear inconsistencies in soundtrack from scene to scene. The image quality on the 66' screen was rather good, being bright with only a very very slight jitter.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-23-2007 11:48 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The feeling, marketing, release schedule, pacing, special effects, massive suspension of disbelief, cutsie-poo dialogue, sound and almost everything about these two film reminds me of recent THE MUMMY films.

It'll be this Christmas' monster.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2007 12:19 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked the first one you'll like this one. It's pretty much the same movie with different locations, different clues and a different treasure. The formula is the pretty much the same although the construction of the clues was a little more clever in the first one.

Overall this is a solid, entertaining and family friendly film and it should have pretty good legs.

3 of 5 stars

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2007 01:43 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one. and the second one too.
Good chemistry between the cast and a breezy story. Nothing more to be said.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-01-2008 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this today, finally. I liked it. The action scenes were the best. I didn't like how they would immediately find the clues (or figure things out with just a quick glance) but I guess shots of a bunch of characters poring over rocks and artifacts for hours would have been boring.

Nice sound mix too.

A solid 3.75 out of 5 for me. My wife liked it a bit better than I did. Word of mouth on this one has been very good and it's held up well for us.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2008 12:53 AM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This picture is best summed up by that famous quote from Peter Noone (when he was with Herman's Hermits):

"Second Verse Same As The First"

However I dont recall there being quite all the product placements in the first one. At times I got the feeling I was watching commercials for McDonalds and Dell Computers with a bits of Book of Secrets being spliced in.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I felt this one had less product placement than the first... interesting.

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was great I just had a hard time with his hairpiece.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-11-2008 08:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's hairpiece? Cage or Voight's? (Or Mirrens's [Wink] )

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-11-2008 07:30 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Herman's Hermits did not originate that song.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-12-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not seen the first and have only screened the second 50 or so times, but I will say the Disney logo on the head just jumps off the screen on our print. VERY, very sharp. What did they render it at?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: