Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » I Am Legend (2007) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I Am Legend (2007)
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-13-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to the sound for the film while I was assembling the print. The speaking moments are sparse, with lots of drawn out, ambient passages, and bursts of action thrown in. Of course, I knew, going in to view the film itself, it would be much more engaging.

The arranging of the story made a lot of sense, and the direction of the unfolding events were inevitable. I didn't know the story beforehand, and I didn't predict anything (successfully or unsuccessfully) during the film ... but after it was all over, it just seemed unsurprising; as if, HAD I tried to predict and lay out what should happen, just knowing the premise, I could have been pretty much on target.

However, that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I liked it. It wasn't too slow, it wasn't too long. Probably not one to draw repeat business. Once the "whats" and "hows" are known, suspense and curiosity aren't there to bring you into the story anymore, and the action isn't particularly cinematically phenomenal (as in, say, a Transformers freeway chase).

I won't get into any spoilers here, but I was sparked by some ideas/gripes/philosophies, etc. that come from the ending. Good coffee talk ... but no one I know has seen it yet, or probably will see it. Oh, well.

By the way, if you see this in IMAX, you'll be treated to a 6:48 "trailer" for Dark Knight. Essentially, the prologue of the film, shot in native IMAX format, full frame. It looks awesome! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-14-2007 02:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I recommend those, with this movie, to see the originals - the Vincent Price's "Last Man on Earth", and Charton Heston's "the Omega Man" ... all based from Richard Matheson's short story "I am Legend"

Yes, it was kind of odd to find the 101 minutes to be the length of the movie when the first three reels were decently full, but you hit the last three and being short as they are-about half full or 10 to 12min reels, I was putting down that the flik was only 91 minutes long...but could be mistaken ..

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2007 03:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only seen a commercial for this movie during the Superbowl or World Series (same thing). I predict that Will Smith will NOT be the only person left on the planet. I also predict that he will, at least at one point, talk to an animal. Hmmmm, what else? I bet he sees that someplace is empty and makes some kind of remark about how crowded it used to be or how different it is now or something along those lines. I'm not banking on this one I'm about to type, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was all some sort of huge experiment of some sort.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-14-2007 03:41 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poster depicts Will Smith with a dog. The tagline is "The last man on Earth is not alone." To which I recall immediately quipping, "Yeah, 'cause he's got a dog, see? No big suspense there." [Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know nothing about this movie but I would bet just about anything on one thing: The dog survives.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong Mike:

The dog dies. In a scene which gives new meaning to attempting to manipulate the audience.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that that is not a huge spoiler, but none the less. Please Spoiler tag it. Some people are not as perceptive to trailers as others.

Thanks

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will rent this on DVD when it comes out.

PS - I never saw the poster to this movie, so I didn't see the dog.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2007 06:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I was very disappointed that they edited out Will Smith's line "awwwwww hell no!" as he is about to be attacked. I mean, it's in every other Will Smith movie ever, so they MUST have shot it and the editor screwed up.

Overall it was much better than I expected and it held my attention. Not a great movie by any means, but considering the shit that has been released this year, not too bad.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-14-2007 11:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet the dog will be back in the sequel. He's just missing!

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2007 02:52 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen it, I'll bet she (the dog) isn't in the sequel.

As far as actual reviewing goes... Generally up to both Will Smith's and Ridley Scott's standards; nothing revolutionary, but above-average quality ponderous fare.

As an aside- we had to add extra shows on the fly (thank you digital!) because this movie sold out both of our largest houses. (alvin did it too, 2 houses) Tomorrow should be even worse! Good for business.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 12-15-2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
***SPOILER ALERT***

quote: Jonathan M. Crist
The dog dies. In a scene which gives new meaning to attempting to manipulate the audience.
Unlike OLD YELLER I guess....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-15-2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you digital??? Just interlock those film prints, you silly boy. [Cool]

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh we added the show after the first had already started, and we don't ahve interlock hardware anywho ( too bad imo ).

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a MUT, you have interlock hardware. [Cool]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: