Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Mist (2007)

Author Topic: The Mist (2007)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-24-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 5
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Soft picture, something odd about the audio coming out of the right front channel
RATING: Zero stars (out of four)

I head for my reserved seat and find feet hanging over it. Skinny Teenage Girl giggles as she shrieks "Sorry!" and removes them. Her friend, Other Skinny Teenage Girl, also removes her feet and giggles.

I suppose it didn't matter much since they spent the whole movie kicking the seats in front of them. They were very into the movie, screaming "RUN YOU IDIOTS!" and "KILL HER!" and stuff through the movie. The whole audience was into it for awhile, but it was dead silence at the end except for one of the girls behind me, who repeatedly muttered "I hate this movie. I hate this movie. I hate this movie."

The views expressed by Skinny Teenage Girl DID necessarily represent those of the rest of the auditorium. This movie is a virtual dementor. It sucked the joy out of every living soul in the room.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 04:31 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I work projection, I notice lots of Generic Skinny Teenage Girls with their feet on the usually unoccupied seats in front of them...almost if this was programmed into the silicon chips inside their heads. These same girls seldom own sensible winter garments and often sport flip-flops in the coldest weather. Then they stand and shiver amongst their own kind in the lobby after their movie is out."I sure wish Winter wasn't so COLLLLD!"
One of my co-workers saw the movie Wednesday night and noted the movie is set in Maine, with a directional sign reading Portland toward the North and "everything else" South.
Oh...and it's the Military's fault.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2007 08:11 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this at the 10:10pm showing on Thanksgiving night...

This was by far my most favorite of Stephen King's works. This was adapted from a short story by the same name from the collection entitled "The Skelton Crew". As always with these adaptations, the "book" is much better than the movie. Anyway...

Overall it was about what I expected going in. It is a decent little movie as it has almost a low budget horror movie feel to it. For the most part, the acting and characters are pretty good. The CGI monsters, on the other hand, suck. I am guessing that it has gotten to the point that CGI monsters are cheaper to produce than old fashion puppets of the past (like for instance used in a movie like Alien). The digital "insects" just did not look convincing at all.

Sorry James but the military aspect was a part of the original story which was written back in the early 80's so no current events bias there. However the protagonist in the book was more of a pagonist as oppose to the Old Testament religious fanatic portrayed in the movie though I think they only did that as a character development cheat as they could then compare her to Jim Jones. I do like how the focus was less on the monsters and more on the fanaticism, mob behavior and preying on peoples fears.

The story as written really didn’t have an ending so the one that they used was admittedly a downer though I don’t think a happy ending would have worked either. It was a gutsy call as they had to know it was going to piss off the entire audience.

Overall being a fan of the original story, I’d it 3 out of 5 stars.

*Edited to reword content to avoid spoilers.

[ 11-25-2007, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Michael Gonzalez ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-24-2007 10:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't give out spoilers without clear warnings beforehand please.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Brad. The funny thing is that I had to reread the posts a couple of times to figure out what you had meant by spoilers. The "military" thing actually isnt much of a major plot point to the story and didnt even dawn on me that it could be interperated as a spoiler. My apologies though.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2007 01:34 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me,too. Sorry about that.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2008 09:26 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Sh*t Batman! This movie will stick in your gullet.

Check out the Black and White version on the 2 DVD set.

Bam! Bam! Bam! and Bam!

[Eek!]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, when I have the time, I'll be checking out the Black and White version on the DVD that I bought earlier this week.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: