Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » August Rush

Author Topic: August Rush
Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2007 04:30 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A young boy (child prodigy) is orphaned as a young child, and his musical talents enable a man to 'catch' him up and basically adopt him. Uncaring about the childs past, he exploits his talents.

The young lad teaches himself music as a way of escape and meets a guitarist busker in teh park...

the ending is sweet. he finds his mother, performs a huge recital of his own piece with an orchestra, and everyone lives happly ever after,
a good solid feel good film

very worth a watch! - i will elaborate on this later! have to close up booth now!

this is open to editing - please reply if you wish to review it in full yourself!

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-02-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene (#4). Looked and sounded excellent. [thumbsup]

More evidence that I'm getting soft-headed as I get older -- I liked this. It pushes buttons, tugs on heartstrings, and isn't subtle about it. The setup is highly improbable, actually it's borderline preposterous. And yet it worked for me. A first-rate feel-good movie.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-02-2007 07:44 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounded interesting, but now that I know the ending ... [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 12:26 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we not suposed to let people know about "spoilers" if we are going to do that in a review? Still want to see it even though i know how it ends.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2007 01:44 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you should always warn people before you place a spoiler in your review.

I watched this after my shift on Friday and loved it. The music is good, all thought it got repedative towards the end, but still enjoyable. A solid cast in this one, including the ever popular Terrance Howard. In what his 100th movie of '07. It was nice to see Robin Williams not playing a goofy character but actually a semi-Serious one.

Like everyone else has said, its a heart tugger and just a good family film.

3.5/5 [thumbsup]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-18-2007 10:30 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful.

That's all that needs to be said.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
It was nice to see Robin Williams not playing a goofy character but actually a semi-Serious one.
Does that mean he has only half a beard in the film or the full 'This is me being serious' beard?

Edit: Just saw the trailer and he has a goatee...that's close to a semi-beard. [Wink]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2007 08:29 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why this post is here... [Confused]

[ 12-28-2007, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2007 04:35 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it count when his sideburns don't match?

Roger Summars
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2008 04:07 PM      Profile for Roger Summars   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Summars       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this film, and was surprised at the lack of publicity. We ran this in mid-January, and everyone kept asking "what's that about?" I personally invited everyone I saw, and everyone liked it a lot. I don't think the theater covered their expenses on this one.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2008 08:21 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally feel that this movie could have had at least another 10-15 minutes added to the end of it. They set you up for knowing how things turn out, and they let your mind run wild with it by just ending the story.

All in all I say it was a very well thought out. I give it 4/5 mainly for the ending.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 04:15 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another well made film indeed. I enjoyed the story very much definitely works on the heart strings , gosh I almost cried at the end. [uhoh]
The Little boy was fantastic in his role. and the music was very good.

4 out of 5 from me.

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay sorry, guys. My first rather rushed review after doing the print check. Just wanted to get involved in the whole movie review section. I really didnt mean to put spoilers, but i am very free with my fingers when im typing and I suppose it just came out.

So yeah, there is alot more to this film than my scathing 'review' states. Definitely worth a look and for a budget sentimental film this is a success in all areas. As David says in his post, it certainly does tug at heartstrings.

im 22 years old and a musician myself, so I could relate alot to the child in this story. He completed alot of my ambitions for my own life, which was a nice way of getting some reflection for myself.

Great acting throughout and very heartwarming story.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorites of the past few years. Well done, kid actor is great and the music is the frosting on the cake. Loved the ending, although I think it could have been extended a few more minutes.

Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: