Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)

Author Topic: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (2007)
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what can I say? This movie was fantastic. A fun filled movie for the entire family. This movie makes you feel good and can also be somewhat a tear-jerker, but, ends on a happy moment, just as it did during the movie. Natalie Portman did an excellent job in this movie, including Dustin Hoffman. I enjoyed the special effects and the imagery. Both were eye-pleasing.

I highly recommend this movie to everyone, even if you don't have kids.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2007 10:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting good reviews, too...unusual for a movie of this type.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2007 01:22 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had two prints of Beowulf and a print of this, and both prints of Beowulf were being shown on Thursday night so it just left this to be screened. I'm glad I decided to watch this, it was a nice change of pace. Nothing bad at all in this movie, just a wholsome family film. I think the worst thing in it was when the rocket says "Oh Crap"

Good performances all around on everyones parts. This one will do well through the holiday and maybe even into the X-Mas rush.

4/5 from me

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So there is a current kid movie out there that's watchable? WTF? I thought the movie would suck from what I saw of the trailers.
Of course, the original Babe, the one with the pig, surprised me too.
I endured Bee Movie, which no one has reviewed, and I probably should, but it would read something like this:
"Started watching Bee Movie. Found it so bad I intentionally crapped my pants so I would have an excuse to go home." [uhoh]
Full disclosure: I didn't really crap my pants.
In box office, when someone with children asks for tickets to Bee Movie, I want to assume the children must have done something really really bad to be taken to that movie...

Peter David Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Peter David Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was just as surprised. we havent got this yet in the UK but from what everyone else says ... im glad its working out. its IMPOSSIBLE to find films these days that my gran would want to see... apart from the 'oh crap' moment that kurt mentioned, it looks to be good, clean family fun with some decent actors backing it up... for once.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well not "all" good reviews. Entertainment Weekly gave it an "F."

I liked Bee Movie, but then I'm a Seinfeld fan. It wasn't as good as the Seinfeld TV show though.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2007 11:00 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read the Entertainment Weekly article and man, they certainly don't know how to give a wonderful movie a good rating. The way I see it, this movie gets an "A+" rating.

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2007 03:29 PM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was so sweet. I cried.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2007 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed this a lot. I was fully prepared for it to totally suck, and it didn't.

My favorite part was where the kid was trying to make friends with the accountant. The whole scene was beautifully timed to the great old song "Don't Be Shy" by Cat Stevens. A very funny and at the same time moving scene.

The credits were funny as well. The cast list was great, and the headings on the various sections of the credits ("People who aimed cameras at people") was a hoot.

I was all set to unload a "1 out of 5" on this show, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, so I'll give it a 4 out of 5. It's too bad Disney didn't make this, it would have been even better.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2007 07:47 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite like it and it's not too bad an effort by the writer/director Zach Helm who wrote the wonderful 'Stranger Than Fiction'. This ain't no STF, but it's pretty good.

I would've liked to see someone other than Dustin Hoffman in the Magorium role though. I long for him to do something serious again. To me he looked just too 'creepy' to be in this film.

Liked the credits too. A lot of it looks like the shot's been framed all wrong. Perhaps it wasn't originally intended to be scope...the flat trailer looked better than the scope version so maybe that's it.

Nice to hear Cat Stevens' music in two current releases (this and Fred Claus)...this one (Don't Be Shy) makes me think instantly of 'Harold And Maude' [thumbsup]

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of 5

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, anyone care to guess why Magorium tanked so bad?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-20-2007 12:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm being followed by a Moon Shadow.."

"Bring tea for the Tillerman
Steak for the sun
Wine for the women who made the rain come
Seagulls sing your hearts away
'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play.....
"

Good ol' Steven Demetre Georgiou..aka Cat Stevens

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2007 04:41 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that poor marketing and not many screens is what killed it. Most people probably saw the trailer and didn't even give it a chance. When it is probably the best family movie out this year.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-20-2007 10:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed about the marketing. The trailer didn't really show the "wonder" of the film. It concentrated too much on the "silliness" aspect of it which may have turned people off. Also, it got buried by Enchanted and the leftover crowds from Bee Movie.

This should have been a Christmas release. They could have countered National Treasure with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: