Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Into the Wild (2007)

Author Topic: Into the Wild (2007)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2007 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one else has seen this yet? It has really grown on me and is just pretty to look at, in addition to being thought-provoking.

(Yes, this is a crappy "review" and maybe someone else can write something more descriptive, but I figured that I should put in a good word for this film.)

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this, just really havn't had time to write much of anything. While I'm not a huge Sean Pean fan but the man reall did a good job with this film. Its well acted, Hirsh looks so much like the real Christopher McCandless it is kinda scary. You get another solid supporting role from John Hurt and a cast of other well known actors.

I think that was my favorite part of this film, there are so many cameo roles, but none of them overshadow the film.

Over all its a solid 4/5

Scott McGuire
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2007 12:01 AM      Profile for Scott McGuire   Email Scott McGuire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the best films i have seen this year. Well directed, acted, and filmed. Also a great sound track done by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Definatly a must see 4.5/5 stars for sure.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

I have seen this film twice. It is flat out EXCELLENT. It is sure to pick up some honestly earned Oscar nominations in Feb 2008.

Mike

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
No one else has seen this yet? It has really grown on me and is just pretty to look at, in addition to being thought-provoking.
I agree entirely , just looked at this one , and I spent several days with the story running through my mind . Not a big fan of Sean Penn , but I am very impressed with this one.

Every has a story of some kind , but this remarkable story from this young Kid still has you wondering for days later. The scenery the people he meets and the anguish he caused , so well portrayed.

4 out of 5 from me.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to be the dissenter then....... [Wink]

In 2005 Werner Herzog released his film Grizzly Man, a documentary about the well-intentioned but ultimately incompetent nature lover, Timothy Treadwell, who thrust himself into the wilderness harbouring the delusion that if he nurtured the environment, then nature would repay his compassion in kind. Of course, nature did nothing of the sort, ferociously seizing the upper hand when he least expected it, his fate being horribly swift and final. Treadwell clearly wasn't the first to attempt this stunt. About 10 years previous, Christopher McCandless also hurled himself into the wilderness albeit for different reasons but with no less catastrophic results and his journey forms the subject of Sean Penn's latest directorial (and writing) effort.

The main problem with this film is that Penn presents McCandless as a noble anti-materialist warrior going forth "into the wild to destroy the false being within, to conclude the spiritual revolution, to escape the poison of civilisation". That's great, so far so hippy, but the truth is that McCandless engineered his own demise through his own selfishness, incompetence and stupidity. What is amazing is not that he survived the challenges of nature but that he survived them for so long. That he does all this against the sincere advice of those who love him makes it difficult to feel sympathy for him. The rub is that Penn attempts to romanticise his journey in the mould of some kind of righteous hippy idealism but ultimately it's a shallow appeal. There does, however, seem to be a glimmer of hope towards the end of the film when McCandless finally wakes up to himself and realises that "happiness is only real when shared" but his imminent demise does not allow him to articulate this sentiment to those who loved him and he is therefore robbed of his opportunity for redemption. In a way, this merely serves as his final act of selfishness and we like him even less as a result.

A change of narrative structure could improve the film somewhat, focusing more on the positive influences McCandless had on the lives of those who entered his paisley orbit rather than culminating in the negativity of his pointless demise. If ever there was a candidate for showing the end of the story at the beginning then this is it (not that I'm an advocate of that mechanism).

On the bright side, Penn has produced a very well crafted film; a laid back frolic through some spectacular picture postcard locations; a film about the yearning for a better, simpler life which at many points threatens to win us over. The performances are excellent particularly Emile Hirsch in the lead role and Hal Holbrook as an aging loner. But everyone is good: Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Jena Malone, Catherine Keener and Vince Vaughn in a refreshingly straight role.

On the whole this is a frustrating picture. It's an interesting story (if a little long-winded) brilliantly performed and beautifully shot but it's central message seems horribly misguided.

7 out of 10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: