Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Death Proof (2007)

Author Topic: Death Proof (2007)
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema: Vue Sheffield screen 8
Presentation problems: Slightly out of frame at the start but corrected quickly.

Well, how can I put this? The blurb said that it was a mixture of road movie and slasher film. There seemed to be a LOT of meaningless dialogue between the characters - seemingly just to pad out the film!

After getting rather bored with the first half of the movie, they throw in a quick gory death scene to get your attention back... but then it's back to the slow-paced teen road movie scenes.

In the last 20 minutes though, the film kicks into a higher gear with a long car chase, which I rather liked. If they'd put in more scenes like this, the film could have been much better!

One thing I did like was how they tried to 'age' the film and make it look like a 70s Grindhouse movie. There are lots of intentional film splices, bad edits, missing footage etc. One reel of the feature suddenly turns to black and white, as if the original color version was lost! But it got rather annoying having a fake film splice on every single camera cut...

Supposedly this film is set in the 70s, looking at the kind of cars and stores they have around. But they couldn't resist throwing in a few modern items - I don't think they had cellphones and iPods in the 70s! [Big Grin]

On the whole, a couple of good scenes but the main part of the movie I just found boring. 2 out of 5. And I was the only person in the auditorium [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-28-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This a "jib jab" post. Another Death Proof related discussion already exists:
Grindhouse (2007)

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2007 05:18 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about Grindhouse before, but didn't realize that this was one of the two films in that release. I'd rather have seen the other Grindhouse film than this one though - guess they're being released separately.

There was a notice on the auditorium door saying that this film has been deliberately aged, and contains many fake splices, edits and scratching. Guess they didn't want all the patrons rushing out and complaining to the management!

Feel free to delete this topic now, or merge it with the Grindhouse topic.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-29-2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's continue the Grindhouse discussions in its original thread.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: