Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 3:10 to Yuma (2007)

Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma (2007)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2007 05:28 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me this is a dream pairing of Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. Throw in the up and coming Ben Foster and you really can't go wrong.

After viewing this film I realized that Western's arn't really Westerns anymore. Everything that made the old school Westerns so good really isn't in new Westerns. Now you get quick camera cuts and all the stuff that you'd get in any other action movie. Only thing thats really diffrent from 3:10 and Die Hard 4.0 is the fact that one takes place in the present and one after the Civil War.

Ok with that being said, Russell Crowe plays the perfect Wild West outlaw. You see him and you see Ben Wade. Throw in Ben Foster as Charlie Prince the evil 2nd in command, and you have one scray Outlaw posse.

Christian Bale plays the down and out guy better then anyone out there right now. He does it well once again. Its nice to see Peter Fonda in a movie, and actually get billing for it, unlike Wild Hoggs where he had a cameo.

This film is paced well, up until the end. The ending seems mashed together and kinda off. Crowe leaves you wondering until the end if he really is as bad as they say he is or if hes just a guy who likes to draw. This is a film thats worth seeing, thats worth spending two hours out of your day. In a fall where there really isn't much worth seeing this is one of those that beckons the masses to see it. If it dosn't get good word to mout then nobodys going to go see it.

4/5 for me. Will see it agian and most likely buy it.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-09-2007 05:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at 11:35AM at Regal 15 in Eugene, #8. Near-flawless presentation, looked and sounded great. The last couple times I've been there the transition from FirstLook to the 35mm trailers has been perfectly seamless. My only comment is when you're opening up the side masking to scope during that transition, you should start with a scope trailer and not one that's windowboxed-in-scope. That seems kinda dumb, unless they have no control over trailer placement.

I really liked this movie. The western isn't dead, it's just been made more "modern". The ending left me scratching my head but that's probably what the director intends. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are excellent, also Ben Foster. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. A very solidly entertaining movie. Nice sound mix too especially the last 30 mins. or so. Too bad it wasn't shot anamorphic though. Lazy-ass filmmakers! [Wink]

Note to the middle-aged couple Mr. & Mrs. Loudtalkers who persisted in yapping through much of the movie as though they were in their living room: [fu] Of course they knew to shut up during the Regal floorwalker's 2 appearances.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 08:03 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend this movie. I was thoroughly entertained and Russel crow makes a surprisingly good outlaw ( cross inlayed pistol handle just plain... well... bitchin....and this pair of guns have a curse.. yes.. the devil is the details.)nice job! 5 out of 5 stars

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always nice to find a movie that you can enjoy like this one. I was a fan of the original, so I was worried about a remake. However, I enjoyed it a lot.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2007 06:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good movie up until the ending .... which hinted at mysticism but which just ended up defying logic.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-14-2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Russell Crowe was excellent. Christian Bale and the rest of the cast did a good job, but nothing over the top. Not phenomenal, but not bad. 3 out of 5.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-16-2007 09:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it again today with a group and I liked it even more. [thumbsup] I'll be buying the DVD for sure.

In the end credits, after the list of actors, where they would normally list stuff for Russell Crowe, they instead put "Ben Wade": Ben Wade's Driver; Ben Wade's Dialect Coach; Ben Wade's Standin; etc. [beer]

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2007 01:35 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film. 4.75 out of 5 stars.

It restore's my faith somewhat in hollywood that there are still writers and directors that know how to make entertaining films. And also able create characters the audience cares about.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2007 08:21 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone else...this was excellent. Best movie I've seen this year (Not that is saying a whole lot). - Matt

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-02-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 586 days since the last post.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-02-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better late than never. I finally saw this a couple weeks ago. Was really pleased with it -- except for the f-bomb in the beginning. That was totally unnecessary and probably anachronistic. Why Hollywood insists on dropping f-bombs and 21st-century lingo into period movies is beyond me! I'm sure the word probably existed back then, but I seriously doubt it was used in the way Fonda used it - his cadence just had a "today" ring to it and brought me right out of the movie. Thanks, guys.

Crowe's performance was right up there with Glenn Ford's in the original. He was just right as Wade.

(Spoiler alert!) I totally hated the ending. Wade respected Evans, but not enough to kill his own men! That was a pansy 2007 ending. The clincher in the original was that Wade respected him enough to save Evans and chance Yuma because, after all, he'd escaped from there before.

3 stars. Would've been 5, but they lost me on the ending and the aforementioned out of place language.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-02-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was totally unnecessary and probably anachronistic. Why Hollywood insists on dropping f-bombs and 21st-century lingo into period movies is beyond me!
Fuck has been recorded as an English word since the 15th Century.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: