Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rush Hour 3 (2007)

Author Topic: Rush Hour 3 (2007)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 02:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 1
Chris Tucker is being stupid and annoying.

He directs traffic while listening to his ipod and causes car wrecks, of which he shows how racist he is by blaming the wrecks on the white people and then makes a deal to let some black girls off if they have sex with him and Jackie Chan. Apparently this is supposed to be funny.

Some fair action scenes. Nothing like good old fashioned Jackie Chan, but at least it doesn't have a shaky cam.

Chris Tucker makes more racist jokes and is continually unfunny.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 02:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 2

They use a nun to interrogate a suspect because she speaks French and they spend the entire time making her translate offensive threats. Again, this is supposed to be funny.

Chris Tucker is told by a white cab driver that he won't drive black people because they are violent and cause problems in the world. Of course Tucker holds a gun to his head and makes him sing the national anthem. More hilarity ensues, because racist jokes are funny.

The two start looking around in a party. They decide to split up and of course Tucker says "I'll take the women" and then proceeds to make a further ass out of himself.

There is a fight with Chan and a woman who is trying to kill him, but of course Tucker only hears the moans through the door and cheers him on thinking that Chan is getting laid.

Uh oh, after a short chase scene now they are captured!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 3

Oh boy, the bad guy is going to kill them. OH NO! It's only reel 3!!! Any second now the bad guy will walk away and then they will make....wait, nevermind. Yes the bad guy walked away to let them be killed and sure as shit, they made an escape. WOW! I totally didn't see that one coming.

Hardy har har, a dog pisses on Chris Tucker's foot. Oh wow, I can't stop laughing because this is SO FUNNY! Laugh damnit!

Hmmmm, this is interesting. An emotional scene regarding how these two are not brothers, accompanied with music "how do I make you love me". Surprisingly Tucker didn't turn the term "brothers" into a racist joke. Regardless this sappy scene shouldn't have happened until reel 4. They are breaking formula!

Since they can't seem to get a solid plot going, an old man appears to give Chan a bunch of plot info that we really don't care about.

Oh lookie, more comic relief. Tucker wanders into a dressing room of scantily clad girls (Greco, put this on your "to see" list) and impersonates a costume designer. I don't even need to continue because you all know how this scene goes.

I don't even know what to say about this retarded stage show with the two of them singing. I think I'll vomit now.

Now they escape and just HAPPEN to be picked up by the SAME CAB DRIVER and all he wants to do is be an American. Yeah, whatever. I have a feeling we will be seeing this guy in reel 5. Hell, this guy will probably save the day.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 03:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 4

The SAME CAB DRIVER picked them up after they made a quick escape just when Tucker was about to get laid.

Not like anyone really cares, but spoiler alert here...the person they are looking for is the woman Tucker almost had sex with and her head is tattoed with the names of the people on this big secret list everyone is getting all riled up over. Whatever.

Oh for fuck's sake, the SAME CAB DRIVER just happened to pick them up AGAIN! Apparently there is only one cab driver in the entire country.

Blah, blah, blah. Now the evil bad guys have Chan's girlfriend or something. I don't even care at this point, but regardless they have to exchange the tattoo girl for this girl's safety...even though we all know damn good and well that the tattoo girl won't actually die.

[sleep]

So Chan is now about to die via 100 cuts and Tucker enters the room as Chan's "brother from another mother". (Hardy har, there's that racist humor we all love so much from Tucker. I seriously wonder, are black audiences outraged and insulted, or do they find this shit funny?) Now we find out that the girl is tied up outside the high rise who JUST NOW AS THE CAMERA TURNS TO HER decides to look down and be scared. At least now we FINALLY get a decent Chan fight. Of course Tucker footage keeps interrupting it, but at least it's something.

WHY does Tucker have to constantly make racist jokes? It just isn't funny. "Black people don't fly" (in reference to almost falling).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 03:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reel 5
Chris Tucker is being...oh hell, you know.

Oh wow THE WACKY CAB DRIVER SAVES THE DAY!!! Gosh, I didn't see THAT coming. LAAAAAME!

And we are treated with semi-funny outtakes.

1 out of 5 for some pretty good sound at at least that one good Jackie Chan fight scene.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2007 03:22 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about that awesome oh shit I am not close enough to the fountain to fall in walk Max Von Sydow did at the end. Oooooops, I guess that was a spoiler but to bad this whole movie smelled of spoiled meat in a dead freezer on a hot 100 degree summer night. But it was still better than you know that Lohan shit movie that just came and went.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2007 04:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
But it was still better than you know that Lohan shit movie that just came and went.
That's why it got the star rating. That Lohan shit movie just lowered the lowest possible score, thereby adding a curve to other shitty movies. [Razz]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 05:30 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best. Review. Ever.

We had a midnight premeire or this, god knows why. Thirteen people came.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2007 05:43 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We put this in the Cine Capri for the midnight tonight and it did 78 people. The theater holds 608

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THis was probably the lowest opening night (of a brand new movie) of the decade for us, so far, with the possible exception of XXX2 a few years ago.

I enjoyed it OK, but I like a good mindless action film so I was entertained.

As far as Chris Tucker and his racist jokes, I've gotten used to that stuff from every black comedian. That's pretty much the only thing most of them (other than Bill Cosby) have in their bag of tricks. Just have to grin and bear it, because white folks are not allowed to be offended by racism.

2.5 out of 5 for me. An extra half-star for the sound, especially the good unexpected KABOOM! when the limo blows up. Also the song "War" at the end sounded nice.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre Kerasotes Stadium 16

Auditorium 1

Digital Presentation.

The movie gets 3 out of 5 from my bride and I, not the best of the trio by any means, but an ok way to kill 90 minutes of film plus 20 minutes of "Advertainment". [puke]

Jackie is obviously being hendered by age sneaking up on him. None of his stunts remotely came close to those he did in 1 or 2. Six years has taken it's toll. [Wink]

I agree, lots of the tower sequence looked either blue screened or digital.

Not sure what Brad saw as racist from Chris, we didn't take it that way.

Did anyone else notice Chris obviously reading a cue card when he was singing the National Anthem with the cabbie?

Digital presentation: I must say this was by far the best presentation I've ever seen in this theatre. They actually had it focused properly for once. I did notice several times that images in bright scenes had a ting of red outlining them. Was especially noticeable around peoples faces. It looked like the convergence was off on a CRT tube. Some of the scenes in the film looked great overall, and a few looked rather crappy. I couldn't put my finger on it as to why. In a theatre complex such as this one obviously ran by booth monkey's, digital is an improvement.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2007 02:13 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dragged myself through the inspection screening (it was this or the equally bad "Stardust"). About 10 minutes in, I decided that Max von Sydow was the bad guy. Does he ever play a good guy?

Jackie is just getting too old for this - all his stunts are carefully edited to look like they are all done in one take. The sword fight scene at the end was okay - but not up to the kind of stuff we expect from Mr. Chan.

There are about 15 minutes worth of plot and 10 minutes worth of credits. Remaining 65 minutes are a waste of polyester print stock and do NOTHING to further the plot. From Reel 3, as Brad mentions - a dressing room full of scantily dressed show girls. What did that scene have to do with anything? Do we ever see these women again? Are they featured at all in the musical number when we are tortured by the Tucker/Chan duet?

I had extremely low expectations going in and even they were too high for what was delivered. I think Christy Lemire at Associated Press summed it up best: "If 'The Bourne Ultimatum' is the best of the summer threes, 'Rush Hour 3' is easily the worst."

I look forward to comedic redemption with "Death at a Funeral" on Thursday...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-07-2007 10:30 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I kinda liked it. It wasn't the best of the three, but my wife-to-be and I both enjoyed it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: