Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Superbad (2007)

Author Topic: Superbad (2007)
Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 11:22 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. The audience that I watched it with was rolling with laughter throughout the showing.

It will undoubtedly be compared with 40-Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up since it has Apatow's name slapped all over it. The weakness of this movie is that it lacks the depth and "adultness" of those two movies.

Embrace your inner immaturity, (and that raunchy spot in the back of your mind), and you will most likely really enjoy this.

|  IP: Logged

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2007 04:41 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superbad marks the return of the 'R' rated teen comedy [thumbsup] .
It's smart, witty, truthful, honest, raunchy, and most importantly funny as hell [Smile] [Smile] . I had high expectations going into this and was not disappointed. [Big Grin]

quote: Shane Cooper
Embrace your inner immaturity, (and that raunchy spot in the back of your mind), and you will most likely really enjoy this.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2007 01:50 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost drew a red blotch on the pants of the main character on our standee. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2007 04:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am going to have to give this one another viewing before I stamp a rating on it. I have a feeling this may be one of those movies that gets better with repeated viewings, because the first viewing was just too stressful content-wise. I will say the filmmakers really nailed the teenage antics well and the performances were great. I found myself really wanting the characters to succeed.

By the way, the print I watched (which I verified as a Deluxe Toronto print) was un-fucking-believably bouncy!!! It's not the projector, because the previews were rock steady right up to the attached trailer. I hate to continually rag on these guys because they are very nice people, but fucking hell those K printers they use are shitty. Even a non-technical friend of mine asked me what was wrong with the projector it was so awful.
[thumbsdown]

Michael Tripp
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Michael Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Tripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this the other day, and I've decided to count that as having seen it twice because the guy behind me took it upon himself to repeat every line to his friends after it was said.

Besides that, I thought it was awesome.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2007 01:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this Tuesday the 14th at the Rocky Mountain Theatre Convention in the fairly-new Cinemark 8 in Helena, Montana.

Presentation: Flawless. I didn't notice the shakiness that Brad describes but this movie is so low-budget-looking, if there was any such shaking I probably subconsiously figured it was on purpose.

The movie is freakin' hilarious. I looked at the poster and thought, "This is going to be the biggest piece of shit ever!" (thanks to previous convention movie experiences -- they almost never screen anything wonderful...hell, last year we saw "The Wicker Man," if that tells you anything) so I was ready for this to really blow chunks.

Pleasant surprises all around. The audience, about 100 middle-aged theatre owners, was laughing uproariously throughout, except one lady who walked out after 5 minutes.

I did think the movie dragged a little bit toward the end, but overall it was thoroughly entertaining.

I think it's going to be a marketing challenge. Adults will think it's a kiddie movie due to the title. Too bad, they'll miss out on a flick that will bring back memories of their high school days and also will expose the (probable) REAL lives of the cops every kid always suspects.

4.5 out of 5 for me. An extra half-star awarded for the high Greco factor.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2007 04:09 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JUST AWSOME!

I can't really say anything that wasn't already said, just hilarious.

5/5

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2007 09:42 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Saw the picture over at the Grand lake in oakland, CA. Always a good presentation there. I enjoyed the film a lot. Gotts love the Columbia "sunburst" logo attached to the film.

Earlier in this thread Brad makes mention of the film content being stressfull. I draw a blank on that comment.

Mike
Mike

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-21-2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Carmike Cobblestone 9, Urbandale, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Christie DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Complete and utter lack of subwoofer
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

It's BYOB (Bring Your Own Bucket) night at Carmike. They fill random buckets with popcorn for 50 cents. Up to a three gallon bucket. There's a line of people with plastic bowls and what not. I wonder what they'd say if I walked in with a Cinemark bucket. Oh wait...Cinemark doesn't HAVE buckets.

HAROLD AND KUMAR ARE GETTING A SEQUEL?!?

The movie was completely awesome. Funniest thing I've seen this year. For once, something lives up to the trailer.

Michael Tripp
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2007 01:50 AM      Profile for Michael Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Tripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
I wonder what they'd say if I walked in with a Cinemark bucket. Oh wait...Cinemark doesn't HAVE buckets.
The closest multiplex around here is a Cinemark and they do have buckets, but only for the largest, ridiculously huge size popcorn. If I recall there was something weird about it too, like it wasn't listed on the menu under popcorn sizes because it's normally sold as part of a family combo package. I forget exactly, but they do have them here, at the very least.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-16-2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auditorium: #2, 9:45 show, Sept. 13
Format: Christie DLP/Doremi Server, 1998 X 1080 pixels
Rating: 3.25 stars out of 4

Well, I finally got around to checking out this movie -on its final showing before it left the theater.

Anyway, I had a pretty good time watching it. It's not quite as funny as The 40 Year Old Virgin, but it is certainly memorable. Some of this movie reminds me of cops I know and reminds me of myself.

I got busted in study hall a few times during middle school for drawing creative things on notebook paper. Usually those things involved breasts, vaginas and insulting caricatures of fellow classmates. Sometimes my works of "art" were shown to other classmates, including the girls, much to my embarrassment. I didn't draw what "Seth" was drawing -although, kudos for the creativity. I would have never imagined a Brontosaurus or Mr. T as a penis! I was laughing so hard at that scene I thought I was going to vomit.

There's a few times where the movie drags pretty badly. And a good part of the time I thought Evan (played by Michael Cera) was just a closet gay guy or just a spineless dork. Suck it up dude! Take that damned blow job from that chick whether she vomits on you or not!

Overall, enough situations are depicted in this movie that we all can recall living through ourselves. Some of the best comedy comes from commiseration -having lived through the same pain and humiliation. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, and makes for funny stories.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-17-2007 10:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a spineless dork. Suck it up dude! Take that damned blow job from that chick whether she vomits on you or not!
I could totally relate to that moment. He was with a girl he really had feelings for, so he wanted their first encounter to be perfect...not something they'd both regret.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2007 05:00 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was totally freakin' awesome. It was such a breath of fresh air stood next to other movies of the genre which really don't hit the mark, this is really what I needed. there was either some really ugly reel change points, or someone was making souvenirs of frames in my complex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: