Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rescue Dawn (2007)

Author Topic: Rescue Dawn (2007)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I am a huge Christian Bale fan. No matter what hes in you can bet I'm going to be watching it. This has to be one of his best years, with Harsh Times(I know it didn't come out in 2007) A great character piece if you really look at it and see the transformation he makes. Then you have Rescue Dawn.

Thankfully I have a girlfriend that loves movies and dosn't mind going to see them with me. With RD we had a added bonus, her cousin is Steve Zahn, so shes been bugging me about when this is going to come out. She couldn't wait to see this.

Werner Herzog does not disapoint as a director. His doc on Dieter Dengler, Little Dieter Needs to Fly is a great doc along with Grizzly Man which was his most recent of critical aclaim. He shoots the wilderness scenes and the jungle in a way that is rarely ever shown, maybe except for Apocalypto.

I can say that Steve Zahn will get a Best Supporting nod this year. I also think that Christian Bale will and should get his first nod at the awards this year aswell.

In short, go see this movie, its shot well and tells a great story. And I can say with out shame that the last scene in the movie made my eyes wet.

OK jokes may commence

*Sorry about spelling*

|  IP: Logged

John Pommon
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2007 10:06 PM      Profile for John Pommon   Author's Homepage   Email John Pommon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw RD last night. What a show~
I had bought the W. Herzog DVD 'Little Dieter . . " before
seeing the feature. The DVD in which the actual survivor Dieter Dengler relives his own story is akin to the book before the movie.
I could see & hear the audience weeping while cheering for Dieter as he greets the entire crew of the aircraft carrier. (I was too)
Both the DVD and the film are stunning achievements on many levels. Young Dieter is (was) quite good looking. I am glad they choose Chritian Bale. He fits the character perfectly even loosing over 60lbs for the part. Everyone should see it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-04-2007 11:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is very staged and cliche. No matter how compelling Dieter Dengler's human spirit and personal tale of heroism is, we've seen all this before. I can't recommend it.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-05-2007 08:52 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't wait to see it. If there were trading cards, one Werner Herzog would be worth 100 Michael Bays.

(Speaking of Michael Bay, how's this for trivia from IMDB: "'Movieline' revealed in 2001 that Bay's father is John Frankenheimer"?)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-21-2007 08:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great! This was my favorite film so far this year. I'm generally a sucker for war movies, but this one is particuarly good.

Also, check out the new print of Herzog's "Aguerre Wrath of God" if it comes to town. It's one of his best films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: