Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sunshine (2007)

Author Topic: Sunshine (2007)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2007 05:31 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have to disagree with Brad on I know who killed me being one of the worst movies ever. This movie is the most pointless piece of shit put on film.

The plot is nothing better then what you'd see on a made for tv SCIFI channel movie. It starts out one way and is boring and then goes another way in the last 30 mins. It trys to become some kind of horror film. But they never show the "bad" guy unless its all smudged and smeared on screen.

In short I can keep typing and typing and typing about how dumb and waste of time this film is, but that would just be a waste of your time much like it was a waste of my time to watch this last night.

I put this up there with I know who killed me as being one of the worst movies of the past 5-10 years.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 02:30 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^

Sadly, it was (sortof) a good film right until the rather *sudden* change to slasher flick. At least the science was (mostly) spot on!

Samuel Andrew Wetzel
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 03:39 AM      Profile for Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Email Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with kyle completely! it was amazing until the turn for the worst with the texas chainsaw massacre style slasher film surfaced. either way...it was still a solid movie and i enjoyed it. except for the fact my theatre didn't get it, i didn't build it myself, didn't lubricate it, and whoever built it at the regal 16 in appleton wi obviously didn't have a working mut. there were 3 horrible base side scratches throughout the film, as well as a blown left side speaker in their auditorium. being the booth technician for northeastern wisconsin i desperately wanted to offer my services...if it wasn't for the conflict of interests.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2007 06:14 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this movie today at the AMC Interchange 30 in Toronto Cinema 7

. This is the first time in a while that I have been to a theater other than the one I work at or another in our theater chain to see a movie and let me tell you, I loved the movie, but the presentation was among the worst I have ever seen.

First the movie. Overall I loved it and really enjoyed it. I agree with the comments made above about how it turned a bit to much like a slasher movie but I didn't mind it to much. The visuals where stunning, especially the last 10 minutes of the movie, and I thought the acting was pretty good as well. Cillian Murphy was great.

O.K., now for the presentation. First off, there was horrible marks on the surface of the screen itself on the bottom middle of the screen which where very visible during all the bright shots of the sun, there was also what looked like verticle crease in the screen which where also visible during the bright scenes. The splices where terrible, during the 10 or 15 seconds before each splice, there was an incredible amount of dust on the screen and fingerprints where clearly visible on the scree.

I could have lived with the above problems, however about halfway through the movie a horrible static crackling started in the left screen speaker, which went on for at least a half hour before I got fed up and got them to fix it. To fix it, they stopped the projector for about a minute and put it back on even then the sound still wasn't perfect.

If this had been my theater, we would have been waiting outside the door with passes and to apologize to the guests, considering the show was stopped in the middle, but no one was at the theater exit.

So bottom line, good movie bad presentation.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie, I loved it! The sound design blew me away. Danny Boyle has a great sense of style & design in his films, and what's more, he doesn't cop out and repeat that style from one film to the next. Highly enjoyable.

In a year that has had some horrible films released, how this could be considered:

quote: Kurt Zupin
one of the worst movies of the past 5-10 years.
I just don't understand.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 10:24 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It just wasn't my cup of tea I guess. I don't know, it might also be the fact that the person I screened it with had to talk durning the whole film.

I will catch it on DVD and give it another shot. maybe with him I missed something

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2007 11:55 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the kind of movie that will be a cult classic in 27 years. [Smile]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-09-2007 01:36 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Josh Rosen
there was also what looked like verticle crease in the screen which where also visible during the bright scenes.
AFAIK
That's most likely because a lot of the times large screens are assembled in multiple pieces similar to how you'd do for, say, carpeting and the installer tries to minimize how noticeable the seams are. I've seen it to different extents at multiple theaters.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I - LOVED - THIS - MOVIE!

I saw this at the Camera 12 in San Jose in their biggest art annex house on the ground floor with a nice curved side masked scope screen and bombasstic Dolby Digital. [thumbsup]

IT BLEW ME AWAY! LOVED IT.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2007 12:34 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie much earlier in the year (I think it was out in UK before the US). While the first hour was rather slow-moving, I quite enjoyed it - but I don't think it's worth getting on DVD. Certainly wasn't "the most pointless piece of shit put on film"! Maybe I'll get it via the Movies On Demand service (cable TV) or when it comes on regular TV.

What was with the single-frame flashes at several points during the movie? Are they trying to subliminally advertise again? [Eek!]

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2007 03:13 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is out on DVD in the UK. Not often we get something before the US. Usually when that happens its not very good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: