Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Simpsons Movie (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Simpsons Movie
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-25-2007 09:30 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened this today and saw bits here and there. Everytime I caught 5 minutes I managed to laugh out loud as did the rest of the (large) audience. Long shift today so should get to see most of it by the end of the night. I have not seen the last few series of the show but I hear it has weakened over the years. The movie looks right up there with the best though.

I had hoped they may make a bigger deal of the scope change from the cartoon but there you go.

Incidentally, we have an English version and a Dutch dubbed version. Kudos go to the guys who directed the voices as they are remarkably similar to their American counterparts.

I feel a bit sorry for the guys cleaning the cinema right at the end (youīll see) but hey...they shouldnīt be in there anyway at that point, right?

[thumbsup]

Edit: On a few more screenings, I still think itīs a good movie but canīt believe Montgomery Burns only has two scenes...and one of them was all-but completely in the trailer!
--------------
"Thou shalt switch off thy cellphones"

[ 07-28-2007, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

|  IP: Logged

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2007 08:05 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-viewed this last nightand as a Simpsons fan I was hoping... The first half hour was great, very funny. But, alas it lost it's momentum after that. I just don't think it is a very good movie. No Doubt it'll get the punters in over the weekend, but once the word spreads......

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2007 01:38 AM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a preview screening of this movie on Wednesday. No ads or trailers beforehand; just the Orange 'switch off your phone' gold spot. Lens/masking changeover, then a short snipe about how it's illegal to record the movie - before going straight into the movie.

It was completely sold out, and I was laughing pretty much all the way through the movie (as was most of the audience). Wasn't expecting the horizontal cropping for the beginning cartoon though - I originally thought something had gone wrong with the aperture gate or masking!

I'm also surprised they left in the 1 second where you see Bart fully naked; I'd have thought that would push the rating up from PG [Big Grin]

On the whole, it's great seeing the Simpsons finally making the leap to the big screen, and I think anyone who likes the Simpsons TV shows should go and see it [Wink]

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2007 08:19 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this tonight along with a full cinema of people. Everyone was laughing all the way through.

The start also worried me a bit, as I knew it was in scope, but the picture looked to be in wide screen. I thought something had gone wrong. I also thought they could have milked some more humour out of the change to scope, instead of the simple curtains opening bit.

I think it was consistently good all the way through, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be seeing this one again.

BTW, make sure you watch the credits, theres some good bits when the Simpson's are leaving the cinema.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
I'm also surprised they left in the 1 second where you see Bart fully naked; I'd have thought that would push the rating up from PG
*MINOR SPOILER ALERT*

That's the beauty of it, you never see him fully naked, therefore never risking the rating. You assume that you are looking at his privates, but at the time you can see what you think is his "doodle" you can see only that. The rest of his person is obscured. I thought it was genius.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie, it really was just like a triple length Simpsons episode, except in scope. It was the first time where a movie plot was...well...all over the place, but it's a Simpsons episode, that's what's supposed to happen!

One thing I noticed had nothing to do with the movie, but the AMC Lowes in Stony Brook, NY, has some really crap projectionists. The lamp was horribly off, with a giant dark spot on the entire bottom right corner (though oddly, no hot spots that I could see), and there was a bunch of dirt or something on the lens or port glass. I wanted to complain, but I was with three friends who don't care about that, so we just went to a diner instead.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 02:26 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie! Like many others, I watched it with a sold out midnight showing and everyone laughed throughout. There were enough show references for the die hard fan, (Jebus anyone?), and the subversive humor that has been lacking from the show lately.

Plus, Albert Brooks as the head of the EPA got me thinking of his voice work Hank Scorpio, (my all-time favorite Simpsons episode - You Only Move Twice).

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a huge fan of The Simpsons, and I absolutely loved this movie! I was laughing from beginning to end. A lot of times, when TV shows are turned into movies, they tend to screw it up somehow. That's not the case with The Simpsons Movie. It felt like a 90 minute episode of the TV show, but only better and edgier. I love the part where it says "to be continued. . . immediately" and when they advertise a Fox show during the movie. Classic Simpsons! I loved the opening scene where the Simpsons are watching an Itchy and Scratchy movie, and Homer says, "Why would I wanna pay to see this, when I could see it on TV for free?" Then, he insults the audience by calling them a joke. Classic Homer!

I only have two minor complaints about this movie.

1. Not once do we see Homer working at the power plant. Did he quit his job or something? I would've liked to see him try and take his pig to work with him or something. That would've been funny.
2. Homer is the most hated man in Springfield, and not once do we get a funny comment from Patty and Selma. They should've had a field day with that.

Other than that, it was an awesome movie! I already saw it twice, and I'll probably see it a third time. I already can't wait for the DVD.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think Homer has "worked" in the last 5 seasons or so... lol.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, correction, when I said "working," I meant "sleeping." lol.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2007 11:30 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The animators obviously learned a thing or two from Futurama's 3d techniques because it was used all over the place in this movie. I haven't seen the Simpsons on TV for several seasons so maybe this is used in the series now too? In any regard, if I were to find any complaint with the movie (and this is really a stretch [Smile] ) its that the animation looked overly polished. When the "D'oh-me" shatters, there were some audible ooh's and ahhh's from the audience!

At the end of this movie, I couldn't help thinking that the 4 upcoming Futurama movies (straight to dvd) are going to be kick-ass. [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-29-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie did not disappoint me. It kept the audience laughing throughout and its relatively short running time works in its favor. Well done.

Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 12:48 AM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was very well done. I was worried that they would try to do to much for it, but it really was just like a long episode of The Show but with a good story and funny jokes. It was thouroughly enjoyable. I liked all the jokes making reference to the TV show, i.e. homers opening bit

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2007 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very very funny movie. A good story with lots of surprises. I loved the credit sequence, especially the "Springfield National Anthem". Audience of old and young really enjoyed it. Some of the people there were seeing it for the third time, so this one might get some strong repeat business.

Looked good on the ~60' screen at RAVE with digital projection. I did see quite a few "jaggies" on the Fox logo, though. The actual movie looked fine. Surprised there was no pre-show...just MovieTunes.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-04-2007 01:21 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Valle Drive-In, Newton, IA
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm/DTS Digital broadcast over FM radio
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Center of picture occasionally fell out of focus momentarily
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Wife #1: "You got a lot more of the jokes than the rest of the audience, didn't you."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: