Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fantastic 4- Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

Author Topic: Fantastic 4- Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2007 06:38 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this one, considering the age group it is aimed at. Short (5 reels) and snappy, no silly and pointless padding (unlike Spidey III) and it looks like everyone involved (even the "wooden" actors) seemed to be having fun!
The plot's full of holes and the there are quite a few continuity errors, but overall the film is what it is supposed to be ....fun!

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2007 11:28 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but read the L.A. Times and Variety reviews this morning. It is only 90 minutes long! What's the world coming to?

RPM

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the film wasnt that bad..i wasnt expecting much and at 90mins you know your in trouble when it comes to super hero films.The dialogue was cheesy in places and the chemistry between Mr fanastic and jessica alba is poor. But the film is saved by the surfer and the human torch..I had more fun watching this than pirates 3.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-15-2007 08:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
Short (5 reels) and snappy, no silly and pointless padding
Ummm, did you forget the whole "getting married" nonsense? Oh yeah, that was just so funny how their weddings kept getting screwed up because they had to save the world. Was there anyone who DIDN'T predict how the entire movie would be laid out after the first 5 minutes?

BEGIN SPOILER
And could the last scene with them deciding to stick together as a team been any lamer? The dialogue was just groaningly bad. (Is that even a word?)

END SPOILER

I have only one good thing to say about this movie. It was only 88 minutes to the credits! Other than that this was almost as bad as Pirates 3. [bs] This movie would've been a lot better had they gotten rid of everything having to do with the silver surfer and the craptastic four. [Big Grin]

1 out of 5

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2007 10:56 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While previewing this movie after building up two prints of it, I didn't have much in the way of expectations of this film. I was proved wrong somewhat. It did have some funny moments in it and the special effects were decent enough. If I had to choose between Pirates 3 and Silver Surfer, I would choose Pirates 3. The story line was pretty cheesy. With that, I would have to give it 2 out of 5 Stars, the 2 stars going to the parts that made me laugh. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste another 90 minutes of my time, even though the 2 prints are in my biggest auditoriums.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2007 12:12 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First I don't like to call out a theater normally for bad presentation, especially when that theater is represented on Film-tech but I have to do it on this ocation.

My girlfriend and I are on vacation back in Michigan. We went over to Manistee to see my older brother and after eating we decided to down to the old Vogue theater. Before I moved out to Arizona it had been closed and I had found out through here that it was reopened.

I hate to call out people but this has got to be the worst case of FILM DONE WRONG I have ever seen. This film had on it at most 5 runs before we saw it. 4 regular shows and if they did a screening the night before for the staff. There were more scratches on this film, and not just black scratchs but deep green ones through out the film. How does that happen after only 4 or 5 showings? The scratchs wern't as bad I don't think as the fact that the whole movie was out of frame, and to thorw some icing on the cake. It was so badly out of focas it gave me a headache, the ghosting was really bad. Plus when the showing before us ended the projector ran for over 5 minutes.

Now on to the review, sorry about the long winded rant...but wow.

This film was a hundred times better then the first one. Straight to the action and the effects were very good. The SS looked great, anothe solid character by Doug Jones. Adding Lawrence Fishburn's voice him was great. I liked it for everything that you guys didn't. It didn't take its self seriously, it had chessey dialoge. Just like a comic book would. Chris Evans is just perfect as the Torch. The Thing looked good and Chiklis was good as well.

I'd have to give the film a 3.5/5 [thumbsup]

but a minus on the presentation. I know its an old theater, but that is no excuse for the presentaion, and there is no excuse for a piece of tape on the port glass window acting as your masking. One more thing, please clean out your projector, the right side of the screen you could see all kinds of dirt.

Ok sorry for being so long winded.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-17-2007 03:51 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on all of the negative reviews, and the fact that I just couldn't stomach the first one at all, I have decided not to bother even watching this one.

There are a few things that are wrong with this franchise....

Why does he have to keep saying "FLAME ON" every damn time? Can't he just flame on without announcing it? I mean we all see he is flaming so there is no reason to label it too.

The Thing isn't smoking a cigar, and he doesn't look like rocks. I mean the rocks are flexible? What the hell is that?

Jessica alba is hot but she cannot act her way out of a paper bag.

And messing with the Silver Surfer? This should have been his movie and screw the fantucker four already.

I am just sick of comic book movies brought to life by bad directors and writers and actors and so on. Bryan Singer did a great job with X1 and X2, and there was some brilliance from Tim Burton with his first Batman film, and then the new Batman film by Chris nolan. I really cannot think of any others that have been any good.

I could be wrong, but on this one they screwed the pooch and poochie is pissed.

Ciao

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-17-2007 07:47 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Not being familiar with the comics, I have no such hangups, and I loved the first one.

The second one is short, action-packed, and to the point. It's everything it needed to be and nothing it didn't.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2007 08:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today at Regal 15 in Shelbyville, House #15, in 2K DLP. This looked really very good. If all those converted Carmikes look this good now, I'd say they made the right move. Screen was about 36 feet wide, and I was sitting almost dead-center with the middle of the image, maybe 2.5-3 screenheights back. From that viewing position, it looked, uh, Fantastic. [thumbsup]

The movie is ok, a reasonably good summer popcorn fantasy-action-adventure flick. I'll give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. It's neither horrible nor great. The audience seemed to enjoy it.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2007 03:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thought I might post my first ever review of a film on this forum:

CINEMA: Vue Leeds Light
AUDITORIUM: 12
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital sound
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Very slightly out of frame but not enough to spoil the movie.
RATING: 3 out of 5.

I'm not familiar with the comics, though I did see a couple of episodes of the awful Fantastic Four cartoon series, so know a little about the characters...

Plenty of action, loads of CGI special effects, but the storyline was a bit weak in my opinion. A case of "Nice effects, shame about the story"? Probably could have done without the saving-world getting in the way of the wedding, but it was still quite a good movie. The Silver Surfer himself was probably the best character, even better than the actual Fantastic Four of the title [Wink]

Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it sucked, plain and simple. I wasn't a fan of the first one and wasn't expecting much from this one. Fox can't seem to produce a good "hero" movie! Elektra, Daredevil, and both FF's sucked. I almost walked out when we were screening it, but couldn't leave me fellow coworker with another that he doesn't like.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2007 09:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disliked the first, and this was just ok. Folks are right: it was short and to the point. However, I am actually really growing tired of the comic book movie. I'm sitting here watching the AFI 100 movies broadcast, and even though it is debatable, there are some damn good films on here. Makes me remember why I love the movies.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: