Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Surf's Up (2007)

Author Topic: Surf's Up (2007)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took my mom to go see the 9am showing of Surf's Up and the semi new AMC West Gate. (And take advantage of the $5 dollar before noon on weekends deal) By semi new I mean its been open for 3 months now. Its by the new Cardinals stadium in Glendale Arizona. First of all, this has got to be one of the nicest theaters I've seen in in a long time. Pure class on AMC's part with this place.

Ok now on to the movie, Surf's Up is like any kids animated movie. The hero has a dream, and nobody thinks he can do it. But hes going to prove them all wrong and go out and do it. The animation in this movie is pretty darn good, the water effects are some of the best I've seen in any animated movie.
The penguins look great, the voice acting is top notch. Shia LaBeouf is really on fire this summer, turning out one good performance on top of another.

Jeff Bridges seems to channel the Dude in this one. Kinda seems like hes floating threw his lines. But still good. The comedy isn't really there, but there are still some good laughs. But nothing to really write home about.

I would have to give this a 4/5. [thumbsup]

If you got kids then they're going to love it. Not as much adult comedy as other animated movies. Better then Shrek 5 or 6 this year.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are playing this now. We were SUPPOSED to open it last night, but the film "missed a connection" in Denver and didn't arrive at our place until 8:45 last night. (I think Redifer might have hijacked it somehow [Big Grin] but that's another thread.)

I liked it a lot. The animation was very good, the way they made it look like archival "documentary" footage with scratches, fading, comments from the film crew and etc. I can hear now the complaints of people in the digital theatres who don't get the joke..."HEY, these scratches and stuff were supposed to be history, dude!"

Agreed on the water effects, very good. And it had plenty of quick jokes that'll go right over the kids' heads. The story dragged just a tad in the middle but I agree, this is about 10 times better than Shrek. (Too bad it's only going to do about 1/10 of the gross of Shrek.)

It would have been even better in Scope. Sony needs to take a cue from Pixar and start animation in Scope.

A solid 4 out of 5 for me.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2007 07:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was better than expected. The story was OK, but the animation (water, etc.) was great. I'm not sure that I would have paid full price to see it, but kids will probably like it.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2007 10:26 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to screen this last night, we have 16 films to build and screen by tomorrow night, with just two maybe three of us. We got 5 done last night. Any way this film stands up to a repeat viewing. It wasn't as funny when you watch it by yourself but I still laughed out loud during some scenes. Still enjoyable a second time. Shrek 3 on the other hand was horrible [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: