Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hostel Part II (2007)

Author Topic: Hostel Part II (2007)
Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 10:02 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first one, and this one was even better. I didn't think it was possible, but this one was actually more violent and bloodier than the first one. The best part was when the naked girl was hanging upside down and the other naked girl got in the bathtub and cut her open and slashed her throat, and her blood started pouring all over the chick in the tub. Whoever wrote that must be one sick individual. Great movie! Plenty of blood, violence, and naked chicks! What more could you ask for?

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That part is based on Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess. Real person, she believed that bathing in the blood of young women would allow her to retain her youth. She lived in the late 1500s/early 1600s.

I thought this movie was better than the first, but that isn't saying much. It wasn't scary, it didn't have any suspense, and the dialog was horrible. Everyone had talked up the ending, but I wasn't shocked or impressed. Just another so-so film from Eli Roth, I still think Cabin Fever is his best picture.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 01:15 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anslem Rayburn
Just another so-so film from Eli Roth, I still think Cabin Fever is his best picture.

You're kidding right? Cabin Fever was the biggest pile of crap I have ever walked out of.

I thought this was alright. The girls were definitely hotter, especially that nude model in the beginning that takes the girls to Prague.

I liked the first one better overall though. This one gave mroe effect on the client's side of the "killing place".

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 02:27 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed none of you guys mentioned the castration scene... I walked out of this film about 3 times out of sheer bordom.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
You're kidding right? Cabin Fever was the biggest pile of crap I have ever walked out of.
Not at all. I enjoyed it much more than I did either of the "Hostel" pics. Maybe because it wasn't touted as much, so my expectations were lower. It actually had a plot that made sense, unlike his last two efforts. I can see tits in most movies, so his over-use of them didn't mean much to me. His death scenes weren't that imaginative or impressive.

SPOILER

The penis removal scene wasn't that well done, in my opinion. I cringed a bit, but it could have been much more effective. The first ten minutes of the movie don't matter to the rest, and 6 or so deaths (none of them that original) do not make a film.

Hot girls in horror films are a dime a dozen, and they don't impress me when the director likes to pretend he is the next great thing to happen to the horror genre.

Cabin Fever was much more original, funny, and scary to me. Sorry if you don't agree, Greco, but I calls 'em like I sees 'em. If Roth goes back to his style from Cabin Fever, he will end up being a legend. Dark shots and predictable plots do not cut it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-09-2007 03:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: JW
Great movie!
Hmmmm, how could this be? Jeremy told me this movie was "fucking awful".

BTW Greco, since you seem to judge a movie based upon the hotness of the actresses and how naked they get, you really should check out a genre of movies commonly referred to as "adult". There I think you will find INCREDIBLE action, suspense, comedy and more, all with PHENOMENAL acting, directing, editing, sound...and even a healthy dosage of 100% naked chicks! You will never watch a "Hollywood" movie again after you see one of those.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
BTW Greco, since you seem to judge a movie based upon the hotness of the actresses and how naked they get, you really should check out a genre of movies commonly referred to as "adult".
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

Look, I'll make a judgement on hotness in a movie, but if I don't like a movie, or even like it for that matter, it's because I really didn't like or did like it.

Additionally, although Cerena Vincent and Jordan Ladd were in Cabin Fever and Cerena Vincent has provided me with lots of entertainment [Big Grin] I still thought the movie Cabin Fever was horrible.
Hostel II wasn't as great as the first simply because it had more of a focus on the clients that kill the people. That was my reason that I didn't like it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-11-2007 12:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
I walked out of this film about 3 times out of sheer bordom
What I am wondering is what brought you back in those other two times so you could walk out of times 3 and 4? [Confused] .

So far I haven't been able to make it through the beginning logo.

Mark

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I haven't been able to make it through the beginning logo.

Lions Gate does seem to change their logo a lot, no?

quote: Anslem Rayburn
That part is based on Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess. Real person, she believed that bathing in the blood of young women would allow her to retain her youth. She lived in the late 1500s/early 1600s.
...and was from Slovakia! She lived in Čachtice Castle which is not far from Bratislava. The (fictional) place where people pay to kill people in the Hostel films is also supposed to not be far from Bratislava.

Back then, Čachtice was actually part of Hungary.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that this one is certainly much better than the first. During the castration scene, I could not help but laugh my head off. Talk about a morbid sense of humor that I have. Of course, I knew that I wouldn't get a good scare, but, with the expectation of seeing how this movie would turn out as compared to the first one. I liked the gore in this film. I feel this movie is definately worth a second trip to see. A total of 5 out of 5 Stars.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-13-2007 10:06 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Carmike Cobblestone 9, Urbandale, IA
AUDITORIUM: 3
PRESENTATION: Christie DLP Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Serious lack of subwoofer
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

Instead of numbering the auditoriums, they just have this map at the corridor entry:

-

(EDIT: They DO put auditorium numbers on the tickets.)

This is a crappy old slope nine-plex that Carmike built into an old grocery store. It smells moldy and nobody comes here. So the nine-screen DLP investment makes perfect sense. On the other hand, every auditorium has side masking that opens wide as the show starts, so this must be the BEST MULTIPLEX EVER! Yep, this screen must be...wow...nine feet tall.

Ticket price for regular evening admission: $6.00. Large popcorn: $6.15.

Before the movie plays, Carmike has a short featuring their digital cinema conversion, which includes people standing in a theatre lobby talking about how much they like it. But the footage is clearly upconverted from SD, so it looks like crap.

"Hostel 2" is one big tease of a movie. They deliver on the gore twice with mostly tease beyond that. The sex is ALL tease, which really sucked. I did like the end resolution, though. And the cat. And visually, it looks pretty good. The audience...all five of us...found humor in a number of scenes.

This WAS, by far, the best presentation I've ever experienced in a Carmike anywhere. I about fell over when audio could be heard in the surrounds. That never would have happened in the 35mm days here.

[ 06-14-2007, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Sam Graham ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: