Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ocean's 13 (2007)

Author Topic: Ocean's 13 (2007)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-08-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In a summer filled with the third installments of a movie franchise, this one actually doesn't totally suck unlike the rest.

If you liked the first two, this is more of the same. I'm not sure if it's a little better or worse than the second, but they're all about on par with each other. That being said I'm not a huge fan of this franchise, but it didn't bore me and kept me entertained.

On a technical standpoint, I must say the mix was quite nice. The best of the 3. It had a very crisp, warm sound to it. The picture on the other hand had serious issues. EVERY scene (or at least 90% of them) was "burned". There is simply no excuse for clipping the highlights! The color saturation (which was not captured originally to this extent) was cranked up so high it was just fake in many spots (while it did look great in others). Also the blacks were buried. Now I am a huge fan of high contrast images with deep rich black, vivid colors and bright whites...but someone overdid this in the digital processing step of post production.

Overall 3.5 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-09-2007 04:10 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Mystery Meat Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: The surrounds may have been out...I wasn't really paying attention
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Wife #1 makes a popcorn run and is back in a surprisingly short time given the line at the snack bar. I note this and she says "The back (satellite) stand was open! There was nobody there but me." The manager running the stand said "All I know is my regional manager called me and said this stand had better be open a minimum of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from now on."

Girl Taking Tickets runs over and suggests they make some sort of announcement about this because there's a big line up front. The manager approves and says "Make the announcement" and shows her how to do this over the intercom or radio or whatever. But she protests. "I don't want to do it! I hate talking on that thing!"

Some Other Kid volunteers and does so in what Wife #1 described as a "radio voice".

There's a fine line between suave and cartoonish. Oceans 13 easily crossed the line. And seriously...How big do captions need to be in a movie?

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
There's a fine line between suave and cartoonish. Oceans 13 easily crossed the line. And seriously...How big do captions need to be in a movie?
yeah I thought that was funny as hell; the movie slaps you in the face with it star power - great stuff!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: AMC Loews Plaza 8
AUDITORIUM: 2
PRESENTATION: 35mm
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Lets see
  • Non sync came on between each "commercial" trailer
  • Must have had to change out the scope lense. No Masking. Why this was done, I don't know. The ads played in the correct format
  • Plates overcut, hense, electrical tape on the port glass. Image was darker at top. Image was on masking on left side of curtain.
  • Overdriving surround speakers. Gave the blown effect but other sound was ok coming from them.
  • Image seemed dark at times, but that may have been covered by Brads' comments.
Picture was clean. No damage.
Movie was good. Basic Ocean screenplay. Wish they would have completed reading one of the letters to Reuben to see what was written and Linus wouldn't say.
RATING: Three stars

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-10-2007 05:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like much of anything about it. Disjointed, strangely unengaging, everyone in it is on autopilot. The "look" of the film is weirdly inappropriate (see Brad's comments), and there's those gigantic subtitles Sam mentioned. What's up with that? There were a couple of laughs, not nearly enough though.

Best I can give it is 2 stars out of 5. [thumbsdown]

Viewed today at the Regal 15 in Shelbyville (#8), nice presentation, no complaints. [thumbsup]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2007 12:02 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first Oceans, the second one was an abomination. The film that it was made on should of been burned at the stake. This one however goes back to what made the first one good, they're in Vegas. There's gambaling and there pulling a con. Not trying to steal something, but pulling a con while doing it.

I loved the retro opening, and the retro credits. Everyone was good in there roles, but for some reason Matt Damon just didn't sit right in this one. Maybe its the fact that hes a solid actor now but he's still being held down in these movies. Too much star power I guess.

Also Don Cheadle had to have had one of the best scenes in a recent movie when he came in as Fender Roads. Pure comedy gold.

I give it a 4/5

probably a bit bias because of my love of Vegas, and also good to see Pacino back in a movie

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-17-2007 03:56 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first one was really good, and the second one kind of fell flat on its face with really bad pacing. This one was more on the lines of the first one, and my wife and I really enjoyed it.

On a side note, it was presented at the Foxpoint Carmike in West Jordan, Utah. It is really out of the way a bit, and all twelve screens are Christie Digital presentation. The presentation and sound were incredible, and the best part as this little gem of a theater is only five bucks for evening shows. No kidding! What a deal, and because of the area, there are few gang bangers or tweekers screwing up the place.

I loved the very last scene of this picture, it was satisfying to end it the way it did. Great Bit.

Ciao

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2007 11:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I just saw it at the Muvico Egyptian in theatre #1 (not one of their bigger theatres).

As to the film...I think my feelings echos Kurt's and Daves...I really enjoyed 11....could have done without 12 and enjoyed this offering... 13. I liked the mix in Oceans 11 the best but this one was certainly interesting...and quite clean...in fact it was not not loud enough though very easy to listen to.

The photography was very underwhelming for me....I thought the use of Super-35 or whatever it was was horrible...just how big do the grains need to be...particularly during the dark scenes? They were easy to see even though the image was not really focused and there was notable weave from the projector...which was too noisy. Those of you that think that 1 sheet of glass is good enough to stop projector noise are WRONG!

Oh and whomever maintains the Egyptian...it is time to reset your Dolby Levels...the couple of time it dropped to analog...it got very quiet and biased to the left channel.

Anyway...back to the movie...it gets a solid 3/5 from me...worth seeing for entertainment value and the audience I was with really got into it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-27-2007 07:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good show. It wasn't as good as 11, but was way better than 12 (the less said about that film, the better). It's not a terribly memorable film, but was much more fun that most other recent releases.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2007 05:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick Quiz... Yes or No (Answer without thinking) ... Was Julia Roberts in Ocean's 12? The fact that anyone has to stop and think about an answer illustrates my point here ......

I didn't think that Ocean's 11 was that great (it was barely ok) and I didn't think Ocean's 12 was that bad (it too was barely ok). Ocean's 13 was just some more of the same (it too was barely ok). All three of these pictures kind of run together.

I suspect someone could take all three of the exisiting pictures, cut them up and re-splice bits of them together and (without shooting any additional footage) we would have Ocean's 14.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: