Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 28 Weeks Later (2007)

Author Topic: 28 Weeks Later (2007)
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2007 10:00 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 15, Flat

I'd planned on waiting a year since the last time I went to a theatre, but a friend of mine said, "Let's go see that zombie movie."

So, for the first time since May 26, 2006 (just 4 days less than a year), I went to a movie. I didn't like the movie, though. It was one of those typical horror movies involving humans infected with a virus that makes them become violent zombies.

When the movie started, I could tell from the very first scene that something violent, shocking, or startling was about to happen because it was dark and quiet and the way the camera was being used was constantly hinting that something was about to go wrong. So there are a bunch of zombies running around, either killing or infecting everyone they come in contact with. That idea has been used a lot, so of course, there has to be some kind of little twist so there will be some survivors, and a way for the virus to never be gotten rid of so they could make another movie if they wanted.

So my friend I was sitting with loved the violent bloody zombie scenes. It's just not my thing. It's a movie I'd have never gone to see without doing it for the reason to hang out with someone.

So do they really make firebombs that can set everything on fire, even inside buildings, but leave the buildings standing without them burning down? When that started, I was wondering if any of the main characters was going to go up in flames.

This kind of movie really makes no sense. The thoughts of a virus that bad staying in a localized area and not spreading across the entire world makes little sense, especially since the zombies seemed to be able to run very quickly. I don't think bridges or small rivers would stop them.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the Channel is kind of large...

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2007 03:46 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Evans A Criswell
The thoughts of a virus that bad staying in a localized area and not spreading across the entire world makes little sense
Well, no, it doesn't.

But you saw the very last scene, right? The one where the infected are running thru . . .

OBTW, I saw this at the Century/Cinemark Del Monte 13 in Monterey, CA, Thursday night. Top notch presentation!
[thumbsup]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As always, shoddy presentation. There were some weird cinch marks through a sizable portion film, I really should start asking for refunds.

A basic zombie movie who's greatest goof was it's storyline. Why would you let people back in if you didn't have to? Why would you open the basement door? Why was this movie made?

All good questions, which no-one was willing to answer...

1 star

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-06-2007 12:21 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Damien Taylor
A basic zombie movie who's greatest goof was it's storyline. Why would you let people back in if you didn't have to? Why would you open the basement door? Why was this movie made?

All good questions, which no-one was willing to answer...

So who exactly are you asking the questions to? I always ask the guy at the gas station why napalm isn't sold in supermarkets, but he never has the answer! I also like to ask my wife why laser printers don't come with inflatable life rafts, and she just looks at me like a moron.

My point is that if you want answers you have to ask the right people the right questions...

I loved the movie. I loved the first one too.

Why did they let people in if they didn't have to? Who says they didn't have to? No one said that.

Why would you open the basement door? Have you ever seen a big shiny candy red button that says "don't press"? People are stupid, that's why.

Why did this movie get made? Because people like movies like this, and liked this movie. This movie got made to make money. Kind of silly to ask why any movie gets made. No one ever answers that with "because I love to spend millions of dollars on stuff that isn't fit to wipe my ass..."

I loved it, my wife loved it, because this is our kind of film. It isn't for everyone, and obviously not for anyone here so far...

As for the burning fuel bombs used in london in the film, yes we have stuff that can do that... Look up Napalm, just don't try to find it at your local supermarket.

Ciao

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 03:15 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were (kinda) in this film! In one shot you see a building with scaffolding on it and then the shot moves to a McDonalds. Our cinema is behind the scaffolding a couple of floors up (built inside an older building).

I liked this film, a well done zombie thriller that entertained me when the genre isn't really my sort of thing. Couple of aspects annoyed me, firstly there wasn't as much character development compared to 28 Days. Also both films jump around so much location-wise it becomes laughable if you know London well.

Will be interesting to see what 28 Months Later is like.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: