Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fracture (2007)

Author Topic: Fracture (2007)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this last night at Cinemark 17 in Springfield. Pretty good murder-thriller movie, well-acted, involving, keeps you wondering what's going to happen. Anthony Hopkins can do no wrong (well, ok, there's Bad Company). I never paid any attention to Ryan Gosling before but he gives a convincing performance as an ambitious L.A. hotshot public proscecuter.

I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars. [thumbsup]

Presentation was good, no complaints. The new Front Row Joe policy is well-done, like it (plays in digital at the end of FirstLook).

Business was very light for a Friday evening. Maybe everyone's checking out the new Regal in Shelbyville.

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good flick; Hopkins just screams Hannibal, even though he tries to change his mannerisms away from that archetype.

Unfortunately, I had the whole thing figured out in the first 20 minutes, and just waited for the lawyer to use his brain to figure it out. [Mad]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-21-2007 04:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it a lot. I'd give it an 8/10. Presentation was near perfect; then again I was doing our required Thursday night screening so it was a pristine print.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting story, performances were average. Hopkins is getting [sleep] with his acting. It seems everything he does has a little hannibal in it. Getting old. Kind of like Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken. Same characters...different movie.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-05-2007 01:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] SPOILER [Eek!]

quote: Kyle Anderson
Unfortunately, I had the whole thing figured out in the first 20 minutes, and just waited for the lawyer to use his brain to figure it out.
Really? I think the resolution is so *totally* unlikely.

LA is a fairly big village, and they probably have more than just 1 guy who could show up as a hostage crisis negotiator, then there is no way he could know the guy would put down his gun - he could also have left it outside the door. Then the Hopkins character couldn't possibly know how he would react when he saw the body. Then how did the guy not notice his gun had been fired 4 times? Yes, I know, "he was devastated". But again, the Hopkins character couldn't know that. That doesn't fit *at all* with a character who is planning and engineering everything ahead down to the last detail.

No, "suspension of disbelief" doesn't work in this kind of movie.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-05-2007 08:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But he DID know how that guy would react. Assuming he knew that guy would come, he already knew that the guy was having an affair with his wife and knew the 2 of them were quite into each other.

And perhaps he didn't know the guy would sit the gun down but was hoping it would happen.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2007 08:55 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was a few logic leaps:
SPOILERS
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
the lady was shot with a gun.
the gun didn't leave the house with hopkins.
the DA's office couldn't find the gun.

So... the gun left the house, but how? simple. dammit I hate it when i ruin my own movies like that.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-07-2007 04:31 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And

SPOILERS
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
[Eek!]
[Eek!]

that guy didn't notice that he suddenly had a brand new gun instead of his own one which must have been fired many times (if only in practice)? Then he didn't notice that the old gun he got back had been fired four times? Bull.

And - police guns all get test fired and registered. So when they found the gun in the house hadn't been fired *at all*, they would have run the bullets and that would have led them to the cop's gun. The bullet was stuck in the victim and couldn't be removed? Yes, but he fired it 4 times, and they could have found one of the other bullets outside.

Plus - he intended to *kill* his wife, not put her into a coma. Which can hardly be planned. If he had killed her, the bullet would have been available. Then it would have led to the cop. Who would have an alibi because he was on duty.

All that doesn't make sense. The evil mastermind foresees and plans all that, and then he leaves such open ends as the bullets he fires through the glass above the door?

And - he doesn't check if his wife is actually dead? That all doesn't fit together.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2007 07:26 AM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K you have a point there - but still, I had it all figured out (illogical though it seems now that you think about it). oh well!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: