Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)

Author Topic: Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters (2007)
Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 12:03 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have never watched the show, stay away. If you dislike the show, stay away. It's even more twisted and random than your average episode.

The beginning of the film has the best public service announcement I've seen. It should be duplicated and spliced at the beginning of every R-rated feature.

If you like the show, this is a **** movie. If not, it's a 0.5 * movie.

Oh, and there's a flaming chicken.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 02:45 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, LOVE IT!! And that policy trailer on the front... best thing ever!!! [thumbsup]

Now the bad part...

Seen at Century Stadium 25 in Orange CA, 10:20pm show.
Started out of frame, then racked into frame, but still off; subtitles half cut off in the opening scenes.
Focus was soft.
Sound was HORRIBLE! Shown in poorly eq'ed analog the whole show, also low in volume, hard to make out some of the dialog.

Once again, would have been better if I waited for the video release. [puke]

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-14-2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 10. Yes, they put it in a 500-seater.
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Shaky picture slightly out of focus
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

WARNING: Don't pull your Spoilers out unless you really need to

For the uninitiated: Aqua Teen Hunger Force is simply the most wrong show on all of television. It centers around a living box of fries, a shake, and a meatball, and their human neighbor Carl, who wears sweatpants and "works out of the home". The 12-minute episodes are fairly random and almost always end with little or no resolution. Once in awhile, it's brilliant. Once in awhile. Most of the time, I just feel drained. Imagine what 80 minutes will be like.

The gang's all here along with semi-regulars the Mooninites (the Atari 2600-ish aliens who were on those "guerrilla advertising" devices that sent Boston into a panic), the Plutonians, Dr. Weird, and Steve. Characters M.C. Pee Pants and the "Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past from the Future" also check in. And Neil Peart. Cameos include Space Ghost and...sort of...the Powerpuff Girls. Sorry...No Danzig.

The plot revolves around an exercise machine gone mad and steers sideways into the origin of the Aqua Teens (even though NOT knowing why they exist has always been part of their charm). It's like watching the TV show, except the language and sexual content is heavier. It's ridiculous, but heavier.

The best part of the movie by far is the fake theater policy trailer. That was awesome.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-14-2007 04:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the TV show, but I enjoyed the film. No, it's not for everyone and no, it doesn't make any sense. It's still pretty funny and a good diversion for ninety minutes.

Two thumbs down to Loews Boston Common for showing this slightly out of frame (matte visible at top of image and some subtitles cut off).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-14-2007 06:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck? I just checked local showtimes for this. It opened on a single screen, with only 2 evening shows, no matinees. ??

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 07:27 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that they spelled out 'colon'. It's showing only at one theater around here. I'll wait till the DVD comes out, since I'm a cheap ass and don't want to pay to see it at another theater chain. [Smile]

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2007 08:13 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to review presentation! Carmike Wynnsong 16, Mobile, AL. 1:20 PM Friday the 13th. Numerous splices mid-reel on several different reels. If they were removing factory splices, fine, but it was on nearly every reel, and each splice was dirty. Looks like when they went digital they forgot how to work with film...if they ever knew to begin with. [puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: