Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Curse of the Golden Flower (2007)

Author Topic: Curse of the Golden Flower (2007)
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing this on DLP. Excellent colour and sound. Film itself takes its time to get to the plot but is worth a watch. Some lovely fight scenes and plenty of attractive women!
We do have a couple of gliches between cert, Uiversal thingy and film so have had to incert a few douser commands (Pain in the bum!). The credits also wavered 'cos (apparently) QuVISS doesn't like 1:2.39(Digital, the future of film!!!!???? Bollocks!)

|  IP: Logged

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2007 03:32 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the pseudo-artsy wirework martial arts epics China has spewed out this decade, this one is by far the worst. Not nearly enough fighting. The entire movie was full of annoying aristocrats whining about their feelings. Gag me with a chainsaw.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2007 07:36 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cineworld Haymarket got it on 35mm even though they have a DLP and it's a West End site. Only reason I can think of is that 'Days Of Glory' in digital had the subtitles too low on the screen and that you can't frame the Christies easily. Hope someone can correct me on that. Usual excellent customer service there, even though they were 'busy' with about 150-200 people in the 440 seat screen.

I think this was marketed as another martial arts epic when it just isn't. The majority of the film is about the bitching that goes on in the Forbidden City. Really liked it though, thought it looked fantastic and the fight scenes though thin on the ground were really well done. Performances were great all around, especially Gong Li. I can't believe she is 40 and looks that good.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2007 03:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will be in digital in Croydon, but not opening until 18th of May, so I'll have to wait for a while to see how it looks. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to what gets shown in digital or on film, and where. 'Becoming Jane' turned up on digital this week; we were expecting it to be on film. 'Pan's Labyrinth' was on film both times we had it, but other places have had it on digital.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2007 10:32 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this film last friday,

Great film, [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: