Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lives of Others, The (2006) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lives of Others, The (2006)
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-25-2007 09:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This is the best film that I've seen in quite a while. Recommended for anyone who is even slightly familiar with living conditions in pre-1989 East Germany.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 11:52 AM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this film back in September at the Telluride Film Festival. The best film I've seen all year, no question. Brilliant script, impeccable acting. It just won the Academy Award, and well worth it.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 11:11 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was impressed by the fact that this was the director's first movie - Years ago, I saw his short film THE TEMPLAR and was not impressed by his direction, although there was an unusual visual style in cinematography (DP Hagen Bogdansky shot bot THE TEMPLAR and LIVES OF OTHERS with Hawk anamorphics).

Donnersmarck really took time to research, write, cast and shoot an almost perfect movie that has a lot to say about controlling people and collecting data by the government, any place, any time.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christian Appelt
Donnersmarck really took time to research, write, cast and shoot an almost perfect movie that has a lot to say about controlling people and collecting data by the government, any place, any time.

I agree, and appreciate his restrained and detailed exposition of the forces of coercion the STASI used to keep the people in fearful submission to the Party. Without physical violence or macho heroics, this film is well titled, since the characters are all individuals, influencing each other's successes, failures, and very ability to live in subtle ways.

Early in the film two members discuss whether individuals are capable of change, and by the film's end we get strong and unexpected answers. The main character is a playwright, not a political figure, and the plight of the artist is presented with sensitivity. The motives of the Party officials and STASI men and their power to command loyalty are realistically developed,not as stereotypes but in convincing human terms.

There are touches of ironic humor, as in the casting of the prostitute, and the contrasting of the sexual lives of the security men with that of the artist.

A very fine film.
At the Kew Gardens Cinema, 03/23/07, properly presented.

[ 03-24-2007, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Gerard S. Cohen ]

Jared Thornton
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2007 03:47 AM      Profile for Jared Thornton   Email Jared Thornton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with those above, this film is very, very good and should be on everyone, who's into this era of history, must see list. [thumbsup]

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2007 06:33 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just started showing this one and it's getting a good response but it's not for me.

It just didn't interest me at all and as well as other European films with similar themes/topics. I would rather read about it than see the motion picture.

Looks terrible as well. Don't know why they shot this in scope.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Koutsoumis
Looks terrible as well. Don't know why they shot this in scope.
Terrible regarding print quality or are you referring to cinematography?
In Germany, LIVES was distributed by Buena Vista Int'l, they are notorius for really bad intermediate/release printing, and some of the LIVES prints were grainy and unsharp.

The film was shot with Hawk anamorphic lenses, which usually give excellent quality. The short film I mentioned (THE TEMPLAR) was shot by the same DP with the same lenses, and to me it looked almost like an old 5/70 or a very good blowup.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 02:23 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have new print which is pristine I just don't like the look of the film. I took a second look at it yesterday and kind of changed my mind a bit. I suppose the cinemaography works in that it captures the mood and feel of that period.

Many of the shots are not razor sharp. Either the lenses are just like that (as is the Panavision C & E series Anamorphic lenses) or they just did not light it enough which is common in modern films.

The film does look very good for what it is, it's just that images made me depressed (which may have be the intention of the filmmaker).

Good for some but not for others.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 07:02 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Koutsoumis
It just didn't interest me at all and as well as other European films with similar themes/topics. I would rather read about it than see the motion picture.
Ironic as it is, it is written by an australian lady. We held the book launch at the cinema last week for Dymocks.

I must admit that I have not had time to sit back and watch it yet, The opening 10 minutes drew me in and was very kreepy. I am looking forward to seeing this film properly when I have time.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 07:56 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Cameron we had the author of "Stasiland" (Anna Funda) here 2 Sundays ago. The book has nothing to do with the film.
The films distributor Hopscotch, just connected the two since the share similar themes.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I must admit that I thought it was very strange, if not surreal that a German Language film was written by an Australian! Thankyou for setting the record straight.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 09:20 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently ran this digitally, well I am not a great foreign language film lover but I had a look at this , an well I was blow away, it was a very slow moving film but so well dramatized , the acting was superb , I found myself thinking about it for days later.

sadly it did not draw a huge audience, it does deserve better.

4 out of 5 from me

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 03:45 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, in reply to John K above, we ran both print and digital, and I was amazed at the difference.
35mm print looked awful, looked out of focus and grainy. Digital was exceptional, pristine, and sharp focused.

Was a great film too. Definitely the best film I've seen this year.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I normally don't like films about unhappy people leading unhappy lives, but this one won me over. I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-08-2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long after most 2006 films are forgotten, THE LIVES OF OTHERS will still be cherished and watched. Somehow, someway, these filmmakers have made a compelling and engaging work that pulls you into the story and makes you care about the people you're watching. Great filmmaking. At least a 6 out of 5.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: