Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Number 23 (2007)

Author Topic: The Number 23 (2007)
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into this with kind of a high expectation. That was my first mistake. Although it kept my interest throughout and made me think...it just wasn't very entertaining. It was a unique concept, but was overall pretty dull. Oh, and talk about a cliched ending!

2/5

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-25-2007 04:41 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie both blows and sucks. Jim Carrey is miscast and that's just the biggest of the movie's problems. It was putting me to sleep. I didn't give a crap about any of the characters.

Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, no presentation problems, looked and sounded good. Their last day of operation is 3/4/07 and they have 8 screens and 1 working popcorn popper.

3+4+7+8+1 = 23!!

[bs] 1.5 out of 5

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-25-2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmmmm, don't you mean 23 stars out of 76.6 or 6.9 out of 23 stars? [Roll Eyes]

Thankfully I called "not it" on this one.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 12:13 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily I took advantage of AMCinema and only paid 4.00 to see it

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got paid to see it, and I still feel ripped off.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it worse than Fun with Dick and Jane?

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casting: could have been better; Jim Carey really wasn't the best for this - maybe someone less well-known - an ex-TV actor, perhaps.

Writing: pretty good - the myth is enough to make you check the digital readout on the house CD-player to see if it adds up to 23 (it didn't [Frown] ). Could have used more well-hidden allusions (even if the whole 23 book was one giant allusion to the movie itself?)

Overall, if this were a graphic novel-turned movie the feel would be spot-on. Some of the scenes are Frank Miller-esque (and frankly those were the best parts).

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 05:27 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kyle Anderson
Some of the scenes are Frank Miller-esque
Yeah, well let's just keep in mind that Miller wrote ROBOCOP 3. [Wink]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-27-2007 10:18 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And David Fincher directed Alien 3. I think everyone has their bad days.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 02:54 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked ALIEN 3.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 11:01 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like films about the number 23 and conspiracy theories, get a DVD of "23" (1998):

Could this link be any longer?

It's a Region 2, I hope it has English subtitles...

[ 03-09-2007, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in with kind of low expectations, and I was still shocked at how bad it was... wow. How Roeper & whoever was sitting in for Ebert gave it two thumbs up is beyond me... I should've paid more attention to Rotten Tomatoes (currently at 8%).

As soon as the flashback scene with the suicide blonde started... it was all over for me. So many scenes and edits were just so akward, I was smiling through 70% of this thing, everytime 23 would pop up somewhere obvious I'd start to snicker. When the best performances come from the actor playing the son (I recognize him from a canned WB show I rather liked) and the guy in prison - this movie hasn't got much going for it.

The one positive thing I can say is that it has some very well-done CG shots involving transitions in and out of the book, I was impressed with that... but not worth the price of admission. Beyond those shots, it felt like a direct to video release, and a pretty bad one at that.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 11:17 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from the title I thought this was going to be a fine discordian movie. No such luck. Fnord. [thumbsdown]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2007 12:25 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the third showing of this movie and it was dusty as f**k. There was massive gaps at the splices. Can any Aussies tell me if we get overseas sloppy seconds prints?

I personally never saw the ending coming. But the movie was slightly thought provoking, at least to warrant me and my buddies standing outside the cinema for an hour after debunking the thing.

I think that movies are starting to treat the audience like idiots. I was having fun looking for 23 in scenes only to have a flashback close-up of it, to point it out for the brain dead. (AKA: the usher who built this print)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: