Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ghost Rider (2007)

Author Topic: Ghost Rider (2007)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-18-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 6
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Late start, projector crash
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

WARNING: "He may have my soul, but he doesn't have my Spoilers."

12:05pm: We arrive and sit third row center. Wife #1 says "I'm not hungry, but I need a drink." Me: "Well, that happens sometimes." She leaves.

12:10pm: Movie is scheduled to start...and doesn't.

12:12pm: Large chatty family park themselves in the second row, taking all but three seats. They re-arrange themselves several times until they have the tallest person in the group sitting immediately in front of me. They chat loudly in Spanish all the way through the trailers, proving that "blah blah blah" is truly the universal language.

12:14pm: Wife #1 returns with a bottled water, looks at the people in front of us, and says "Guess who *I* was behind in line?" Then she looks at the screen and says "Why haven't the trailers started?"

12:17pm: Rolling stock starts. Yes, we have rolling stock now. I can only guess that some Cinemark fuckhead read my review of a few weeks ago and immediately took action. If only they were as persistent when I point out perpetual presentation problems.

12:21pm: Rolling stock abruptly stops and the house light (there's only one...it's a mercury vapor bulb in the center of the room, which I've always thought was an interestingly efficient design) goes on. People start shouting "REFUND!" Wife #1: "Should've gone to Ames."

12:24pm: Rolling stock resumes.

12:25pm: Trailers start.

12:38pm: Actual movie starts. Row 2 shuts up. Row 4 doesn't. But everything else works through the actual feature.

"Ghost Rider" is a Marvel Comic that apparently only Nicholas Cage ever bothered to read, and that's enough to green light a movie. The movie is cheesy and campy and totally kickass and a blast to watch. The critics hate it. Probably the same critics who like "Batman Begins".

Figures.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
The critics hate it. Probably the same critics who like "Batman Begins".
Sam, I like this line of thinking. Here's my review:

If you liked BATMAN BEGINS, don't go see GHOST RIDER, because you'll hate it. And if you didn't like BATMAN BEGINS, go see GHOST RIDER, because that's what you get! [Razz]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-18-2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy's head is flaming! Fire! How much of his surroundings are illuminated as if there were a fire there? Not nearly enough to convince me that the guy's head is actually a ball of fire.

Maybe Nick just walks around stiffly like that, but this character looked more fake-CGI than was warranted. Fire looked good, but the skull looked plastic. Some good shots, but not enough. I guess this wasn't a high-budget enough flick to get the top-notch CG character animation perfect.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 05:53 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the last reel of this movie. I'm glad I didn't have to sit through the previous 5.... I'll take Batman Begins any day.

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 08:17 PM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. It wasn't as good as Batman Begins, but I still liked it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is pulling great crowds so I automatically like it, but Nicolas Cage's performance is enough to make me lift my eyes heavenward and thank the Almighty that the Nicolas Cage "Superman" project didn't work out.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 09:52 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was any good, it would have been released 2 months earlier or 2 months later...if you had high expectations, thats your fault.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 01:50 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I detest Nicholas Cage as an actor, but end up liking nearly every movie he's in. Go figure. Maybe this one is worth my time.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way about Ben Stiller, he's annoying as hell but for some reason he's in a lot of funny movies. Damn it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-20-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicolas Cage has been dead to me since the instant he opened his mouth and sounds came out in Con Air.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2007 01:18 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
"Ghost Rider" is a Marvel Comic that apparently only Nicholas Cage ever bothered to read
Actually thats not true. He's an avid comic book fan and loves Ghost Rider. As soon as the project was announced, he was all over it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-20-2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
If it was any good, it would have been released 2 months earlier or 2 months later...if you had high expectations, thats your fault.
Actually I had zero expectations. We weren't expecting to play this, and only did because there was nothing "better" in the pipeline. We didn't really have a chance to promote it ahead of time, but it's still doing great business. We're seeing a lot of people we don't see very often and word of mouth is good, so I'm happy.

The idea that "if it was any good it would have been released 2 months earlier or later" is flawed. If you haven't noticed, the early spring has been a pretty good spot for audience pleasers in the past few years. (Ice Age, anyone?) We need more good movies in the "off season."

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 06:14 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many of the scenes with Eva Mendes, I wasn't aware she had a face...

I didn't like Batman Begins, but I LOVED this! I'm trying to find a copy of the (Ghost) Riders in the Sky song from this movie. I really thought this was a great show.

5/5

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: