Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hot Fuzz 2007

Author Topic: Hot Fuzz 2007
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2007 10:31 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent British comedy with a unique story. Plenty of film references and piss takes of some of the more unsubtle cop films out there. British comedy at its best without too much slapstick. Not for kids though (it's a 15 here).
The only thing that lets it down is that some of the scenes are drawn out, shave 20mins off and it would be a classic. 4/5

|  IP: Logged

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2007 04:01 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really enjoyed this one! Big fan of 'Shaun of the dead' and 'Spaced' (TV series). There's plenty of 'nods' in this film to Shaun of the dead, which I was v. pleased with ("never taken a short cut before?").
It's been a very busy movie for us, which is great! Had a lot of kids trying to get into this one too.
Think I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. [Smile]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2007 11:45 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard this referred to by numerous people as SHAUN OF THE DEAD with cops instead of zombies. They ain't kiddin'. Structurally, it is almost the exact same movie. I've never seen SPACED, but based on what I have seen, these guys really seem to be one-trick ponies. However, it was still enjoyable. Pretty damn funny with an amazing climactic set piece. Nice photography too, really capturing that glossy action film cliche.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-22-2007 06:30 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemarkury 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 10
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Amazingly, none
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Does Sheryl Crow REALLY strike you as the type of woman who has a personal colorist traveling with her?

This is the greatest remake of "The Stepford Wives" ever made. Not as good as the original, but it blatantly borrows from the 1975 classic. I'd also say it's the greatest remake of "Revenge of the Stepford Wives" ever made, but nobody else has ever made a remake of that.

The first few minutes, where the scenes are set in London, are really well done. They're cut well, the soundtrack punches them well, and they're really funny. But the (alleged) sleepiness of Sanford drags the movie down until the finale, which is every bit as well done as the beginning.

The soundtrack itself is something of a satire. It's REALLY exaggerated with a lot of bass.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-29-2007 09:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this at Regal 15 in Shelbyville today. Somehow I missed "Shaun of the Dead" and now I'm gonna have to rent it. If it's half as good as "Hot Fuzz" it has to be worth watching.

I'd give the presentation an "excellent" except the scope lens seems to be out of adjustment and the image is skewed noticeably. Aside from that it looked really good and sounded GREAT!

"PLAY IT LOUD!" [thumbsup]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-30-2007 11:03 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the same actors from Shaun of the Dead. Not as funny as the zombie flick but still had some pretty humorous parts. It felt slow and dragged on until probably the last reel or two. Which reminded be of a British version of Bad Boys 2.

[The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] 1/2 out of 5

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2007 01:28 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was great, the comedy and odes to Shawn were great. Simon Pegg really knows how to become a character and not make you think of past characters.

Jennifer, I'm sure you already know this but, that was the idea from Edgar Wright. To make the last act like a Britsh Version of Bad Boys II.

Give it a 4.5 out of 5

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-14-2007 12:09 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they referred to it quiet a few times during the movie.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2007 05:14 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, better than most crap out there. NOT as good as "Shaun of the Dead", but still really good. If you liked this, and haven't seen "Shaun of the Dead", check it out. It is FANTASTIC. "Shaun of the Dead" was so freakin' good that it made me like this less than I would have if it stood on it's own...

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was brilliant by itself, and the Bad Boys II/Point Break parodies made it even better. What's more, presentation at Carmike 14 in Mobile was almost flawless for a change. (There was an unremoved lab splice. [Eek!] )

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2007 12:10 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one I did enjoy , I had an entertainment value more than most shows i have seen recently.

this type of British humor, making the obvious funny and making fun out of the obvious worked well. It was not far short of Shaun of the dead.

Our local "boys in blue" have some common issues with those in the film , this made it more amusing.

crappy print and crappy sound but i will give it 4 out of 5 for entertainment value.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: