Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Last King Of Scotland

Author Topic: Last King Of Scotland
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 01:57 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, derserves lots of awards. Sadly will probably not do too well in the US but well worth seeing if you get the chance.
There were a few dodgy edits but the acting, script and location more than made up for that.
Watch it, it's a real film, not just a special effects fest or a gore feast....it has a story!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 11:49 AM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forest Whitaker just won the Glden Globe for acting. Although the film has its flaws, I thought his amazing performance raised the bar for actors in 2006. Alternately charming and chilling, he totally vanished into Idi Amin. Awesome.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, in the future could you please limit your reviews to being about-you know, the movie-and not about how well the film will or won't do 'in the US'. Thanks.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did so because Uganda is still fresh in our minds. The US had very little involvement in the situation ortrayed by the film.
Baseball films do badly over here because we have little involvement. The UK audiences are also much more 'aware' of what is going on in the rest of the world. I know this from conversations with real people on mu many visits to the US. |
My comments are not meant to be critical of the US just truthful!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-18-2007 10:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until just today I always thought this was a comedy starring Cedric the Entertainer. It looks like it. A black guy as a Scottish king is definitely a movie Hollywood would make. One of those "fish out of the water" comedies. Hilarious!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-28-2007 07:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 1/28/2007, 12:05PM, Regal Cinema World 8 in Eugene, House #3. Attendance maybe 25. The print was badly scratched but I don't think it's new. Someone else had it first and trashed it. The ads and trailers were mercifully few for a change (and in perfect condition). I think it was 2 ads and 2 trailers. Flat Regal Roller Coaster played in scope, don't tell anyone.

If Forest Whittaker doesn't win an Oscar for this, he can rightfully claim he got cheated. His portrayal of Idi Amin is amazing. This performance is in the upper eschelon of actors who disappear into a role and become the character. Like what's his name, Anthony Hopkins in "The World's Fastest Indian". The viewer is watching the character, not an actor. In fact everyone in this movie is outstanding. The guy who plays the doctor is deserving of mention too (looks it up... James McAvoy). This movie grabs hold of you and doesn't let go (like the cliche). Hey! I'm not kidding! Very intense, and from scene to scene you never know whether Amin is going to be charming or brutal.

4.5 out of 5 stars from me. See it if you can. [beer] [thumbsup]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2007 08:26 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
could you please limit your reviews to being about-you know, the movie-and not about how well the film will or won't do 'in the US'.
One's opinion / prediction of how well a film may or may not do in a particular market is certainly "about, you know, the movie"! Regardless of whether you agree with the reviewer's assessment or not, it is still a legitimate part of his/her review. Unless of course it become a tangent (which, is not the case in this particular instance). After all, these are supposed to be "reviews" not "plot summaries".

===

As for MY review:

[thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: