Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Letters from Iwo Jima

Author Topic: Letters from Iwo Jima
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2007 01:29 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an interesting companion piece to FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS, but ultimately not as good. When viewed together, they show that the concept of good guys and bad guys has nothing to do with what country your from, and that war sucks no matter how you look at it.

Unfortunately, this movie gets its point across in an extremely long and boring way which we've all seen a million times before.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2007 12:22 PM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All three NY Times critics list this as one of the years 5 best. I thought it was good, but not all that good. Very much a Clint Eastwood film. Dark, deliberate, very mature in viewpoint and execution. A surprising amount of empathy is developed for the "enemy," the unfortunate (mostly conscripted) Japanese soldiers stuck on Iwo Jima with orders to fight to the last man, or commit suicide before surrender. The Americans barely make an appearance. A serious look at the true human costs of war.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-23-2007 12:34 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film. I can recommend it strongly to anyone who enjoyed Flags of our Fathers (which sadly under-performed at the boxoffice). It is at least as good a film and probably better.

Yes, it's brutal and, yes, it needs to be. I thought that the pacing was just perfect.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 08:43 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Flags was dull, not enough story to support 140 minutes, but Iwo Jima really grabbed my attention. The acting was great, especially the young grunt (who, according to IMDB is a pop star in Japan). All the young actors faces were so lively.

The pacing was good. I never felt the movie was dragging. And while I can't take myself out of my American point of view, I thought the movie posed very good questions about patriotism and heroism.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2007 03:18 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film was a study of loyalties in conflict, as in a kabuki drama. Whether to die for the Emperor and nation in battle, or to commit suicide when all is hopeless, or to surrender to the enemy with the possibility of someday returning to one's family, are issues that confront the officers as well as their enlisted conscripts.

I liked the Spielberg touches--the variety of characters and their differing interests, backgrounds and attitudes, similar to his casting in Schindler's List. Or the use of symbolism--the presentation Colt 1911, a pre-war token of respect and friendship from Americans to Kobayashi, becomes a mere GI war souvenir, the recognition of which causes the baker to almost go mad. He swings a shovel as a weapon, an object introduced in an earliest scene where it symbolizes the futile toil of the defenders digging in the sand, then later the means of tunneling underground.

The letters themselves unify the story, tying past and present, homelands and island, ending as an archaeological relic producing a terminal cascade, as their publication in book form and film go global.

Examples of irony, whether Eastwood's or Spielberg's contribution to the film, include the flashback plot that reverses the true nature of the kempetai soldier, first thought to be a spy, and who, like the wounded American captive, universalizes the humanity and desire of peace of all people.

I enjoyed the almost all-Japanese cast and dialog, and the realistic portrayal of a culture formerly depicted stereotypically in many WWII films.

I did not see Flags of our Fathers, but I imagine it to be a desirable antecedent for viewing Letters.

A fine and memorable viewing experience.

Cinemart, Forest Hills, Feb. 25, '07

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 01:23 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought this film was fantastic. I loved the use of colour, and how the 'flashbacks' were more vivid to reflect their poignancy in the lives of the soldiers. Similarly with the gun at the end. Thought there was enough in terms of story to keep the film going despite its length, and the flashbacks were good at providing relief at points. Eastwood got some really good performances out of the actors, especially since presumably he doesn't speak Japanese. Thought Ken Watanabe was worth an Oscar nomination.

It is a shame the film only got a limited release in the UK, guessing it didn't do so well in the US either. The BBFC (ratings board)gave it a '15' despite the gore, they only usually do this if they think the film is worth high school kids seeing. This is an important film, will have to track down 'Flags of Our Fathers' as well now.

Have to say the film was immaculately presented, hats off to Cineworld Fulham Road. Also probably the best stalls conversion I've seen (Screen 4 if anyone cares).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: