Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Queen

Author Topic: The Queen
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film explores the effect of the death of Princess Diana on Queen Elizabeth II, her Prime Minister, her husband, her son, her mother and on the people of England.

The script is highly intelligent, revealing the clash of personalities, the roles of monarchy, parliamentary government, and labor party ethos with apparent great detail, historical accuracy and restraint.

The real characters are most believably played by the actors and the principals all undergo change as they interact and learn from experience. The roles of tradition,individuality, emotional expression and the voice of the people are forcefully expressed. The director and editor effectively combine documentary footage with great acting.

The actress playing the Queen gives a wonderful performance and has been nominated for several Academy Awards. Her professional roles varied from shallow dramas requiring nudity, to the role of Queen Elizabeth I, and to memorable TV serials starring a female detective overcoming sexist colleagues. Here her acting is restrained and sensitive.

I didn't think I'd be so moved by what I expected to be another rehashing of the Diana phenomenon, but I was at times choked almost to tears, and the three hours well spent could have been longer as I was entranced by this film.

At the Kew Gardens Cinema, Jan 7, 1:10 PM. Auditorium 1 full house with mostly seniors, (only four of five of whom bought concessions.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie too. It did a really good job of humanizing these iconic people. It's interesting to take a backstage look at highly publicized recent history, and see what may have caused events to unfold in the manner which they did.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2007 08:45 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Helen Mirren is just brilliant as Queen Elizabeth.

This is a very fair look behind the curtain at the royal family. It doesn't make fun of them or treat them with too much respect. They are people, and we see their humanity in this film.

A bit slow at spots, but still good entertainment.

Senior Citizen and almost Senior Citizens (like me) sure do LOVE those $4 early shows at the AMC! We've gone 3 straight weeks, and thats more than we've seen in a long time. Small theatre was about 3/4 full for this show.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 02-02-2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning on watching some movie called Candy or something(Heath Ledger=Hot)... but I walked into the wrong auditorium, must have been a blonde moment [Razz] . Anyways as I watch several older folks sitting down I was wondering... Hmmm Heath Ledger fans, thats awesome [Big Grin] ... Anyways, turns out it was "The Queen"... at first I wanted to walk out and catch the movie I originally wanted to see but I decided to stay.

As I was watching it there were parts I felt should have been made for BBC [dlp] but then again there were also some pretty decent scenes that countered for it. Overall I fairly enjoyed it,only wish they had an up to date scene where I could check out the hottie Prince William. [Cool] Sad to say that I really don't pay that much attention to other countries outside of the U.S. and watching this was pretty cool learning what was going on during that time.

[The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] out of 5

Robin Dorking
Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2007 05:01 PM      Profile for Robin Dorking   Email Robin Dorking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jennifer Pan,

Quote "As I was watching it there were parts I felt should have been made for BBC TV".

Acutally this film was mainly financed by Granada, the owner of the main commercal channel in the UK - ITV.

It does to me have the feel of a British drama you would see on our tv.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: