Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dreamgirls

Author Topic: Dreamgirls
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1:30 on January 2, 2007 -- Rave Polaris 18 -- Theater 17 -- DLP

This is a very good movie, not a great one. It has been doing amazing business, opening its first non-exclusive week to an over $21,000 per theatre average, and reports of standing ovations and long lines. A friend of mine saw it at the Ziegfeld, and he absolutely loved it. I'm afraid I'm not as enthusiastic.

First, what is great about this movie: Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson. Eddie is wonderful as a second rate R/B singer. He sings and dances very well, and he really plays a character rather than just a version of "Eddie Murphy". Jennifer Hudson is just spectacular as Effie, and "I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" is truly a showstopping number. This girl can SING, and sing well. Many singers tend to over-sing, adding notes and affectations. Miss Hudson keeps things under control, and is a true powerhouse. I would expect to see Academy Award nominations for both.

The rest of the cast is good, but not great. The script is a bit slow in spots, and some of the songs seem out of place, especially the group number where Effie is kicked out of the group. I would really have liked to hear more of a Motown sound to things rather than Broadway.

Always nice to see John Lithgow, and its too bad Hinton Battle had a non-singing role. I've seen him on Broadway, and he is outstanding. Even Urkel has a small role.

Now, off on a rant...

This is a musical, one with some very dramatic moments. This film NEEDS a clean, nondistorted soundtrack with an excellent dynamic range. It sure sounded to me as if everything in this movie is at the same level. It never gets louder or softer, just the same. Sure sounded like a lot of compression going on. It didn't sound like mis-tuned equipment or room, but, rather, a conscious effort on the part of the production to clamp the levels. There was also some distortion in the vocals that sounded to me as if they were on the track. There are powerful songs in this show, and they should sound powerful, not limited.

Rant off. Grade of B. No standing ovation from me.

|  IP: Logged

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed this type of distortion in the preview, at least I think I did. Did you see the theatrical trailer? It is similar?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2007 01:19 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is just too damn cliche. The musical numbers slow down the movie to a snail's pace and make what should be a short movie much longer. The last song's lyrics are something like, "It's hard to say goodbye," and when I heard them at the top of the song, I said to myself, "No, it's really not," and then settled into my chair for what I knew would feel like an eternity.

My friend told me that he had to see it twice, because he was too scared to tell his girlfriend that he saw it without her. I've never met her, but whatever punishment she may have had in store for him could not have compared to sitting through DREAMGIRLS twice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: