Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Night At The Museum (2006)

Author Topic: Night At The Museum (2006)
Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-23-2006 06:40 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was more entertaining that I expected, but I wasn't expecting anything. Ben Stiller, as always, was just doing his Ben Stiller impression. Owen Wilson, too, had his trademark delivery. As goofy and formulaic as it was, it was fun to watch the first time.

I like Ricky Gervais, and it was good to see him in this part, very close to a David Brent (the original The Office). I'd never expected to see him on an IMAX screen. (Or Dick van Dyke, or Mickey Rooney, for that matter!) Gervais had a tiny role in For Your Consideration, but he had much more to do here. I found his bits very funny. I think the packed audiences we've been getting found the bits rather awkward and rather unfunny. Robin Williams did a good job, as he didn't steal the show. It was a prominent character, but he was more of a straight man than you would expect from him, so it worked.

And Sakagawea is hot. And so is the other brunette, Carla Gugino. I do like the IMAX Experience! [Big Grin]

It's been a long time since I've been to a natural history museum, but I'm pretty sure that they have more interesting things than stuffed animals and mannequins. The gold tablet was the only museum-like artifact in the building. Great set detail, though. But I'd have been bored out of my mind visiting a museum like that. I guess I'm more of an art museum kind of person.

"What are you doing slapping a monkey?"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2006 01:31 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the story to be only slightly above mediocre. Sure, the plot works only on father-son conventions, but the story does amount to a slight ride towards the end. In IMAX, I'm sure the small amount of pedestrian history comes alive with greater intensity, on 35mm there's not much to thrill.

And the jokes are barely there. Stiller & Wilson only get out of playing their typical characters when Will Ferrell or Wes Anderson are involved. Dick van Dyke plays an underscripted role with his usual warmth, Mickey Rooney gets some action & Robin Williams actually plays Teddy Roosevelt with some candor.

Average, not-so-forgettable family fare, but I'd be working hard to convince myself that I found more than barely entertaining.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-24-2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People are generally really liking it here. I wish it had been in scope though.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was fun. Nothing to really remember. I liked it though. I think the T-Rex was one of the funnier parts of the movie. It got a few good laughs from the crowd.

3/5 average

The theatre I was it at sucked. My old stomping grounds, Carmike Lake Walden Cinema 8.

First, the show started late, not just our show, but all the 12:00 shows. Then it burned in the trailers. 15 mins later it starts again. When I ran that booth, I had a burn back on screen within 4-5 mins.

Then the masking was set for a scope filn, so I saw a poorly cut aperture plate throughout the whole thing. It had horrendous ghosting problems too.

What topped it all off, and it is causing me to contact Carmike, is the ushers turning on the cleaning lights when the credits hit. All this with a full crowd just getting up. Took me RIGHT out of any sort of enjoyment I had with the show.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-01-2007 05:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this for the 2nd time today with some family members. I actually liked it better the second time. I agree about Robin Williams - if he did this kind of part more often, he'd be a great character actor.

I wish the T-rex would have been more dangerous. One of the more thrilling parts of the show was when he was chasing Stiller for the first time. If he'd been more of a "threat" it would have been better.

I'm curious what the rest of the "instructions" said.

All in all, not a great movie, but an entertaining one. 3.5 out of 5.

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 12:03 PM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Decent family fare. Very colorful, actually looked like the old-style Technicolor. For me, a few of the set-pieces looked really cluttered, with overuse of cgi images. Liked Robin Williams quite a lot, he really anchored the movie. Exteriors were filmed at the Museum of Natural History in New York City. The interior looks a bit like what they showed in the film.

[ 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Paul Burt ]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2007 02:28 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3/3/07 (Just remembered to post this review)

My son and I watched this film at The Everett Theatre in Middletown, Delaware. It is one of the few venues left running carbon arc projectors. Simplex heads with Peerless Magnarc Lamphouses.

Great show! Not only was this an entertaining film but I liked the fact that Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney were in it (I thought they were dead!)

My son loved it and it was great to see carbon arcs in action again!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-17-2007 06:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first half of this movie was boring since absolutely nothing happened. The second half was a bit better. Sad to say Owen Wilson was the best thing about this movie, and he wasn't even that great not to mention barely even in there. When I found out Robin Williams was in it, I figured it'd be a dud just like 95% of his other movies. For some reason people keep putting him in movies thinking that he's box-office gold. Also, the little kid pissed me off. What a whiny little brat. He makes a great argument AGAINST child support. Ben Stiller's character would have been much more enjoyable if he were a deadbeat dad. People would have cheered for him once they saw his insipid little twat of a kid. The movie would have been much better if the kid had died.

The success of this movie means that the general public LOVES the standard formula. And crappy special effects. No need to try hard when making a movie if this is what succeeds.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: